Broke wheel bearings / hub / shaft?

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
I had my IRS Brace installed yesterday. I had a differential cover leak so figured it be a good time to remove the cover and reseal. That was one messed up complicated job to remove that cover jammed up in there with no room :cuss:. Getting all the bolts loose was not the hard part but getting the cover out was a ... Is there an easy way to do this that we missed?

Anyways, while the car was on jacks I noticed my driver's rear tire was loose and you can shake it. First thought was wheel bearings. Anyone have any suggestions on bearings, hub or halfshaft?

big blue oval

Established Member
The easy way.............lol.......... Is to pull the center section and do the rear cover/brace on the bench, leaving the final brace bolt tightening for last when you have checked/tightened the rear mount. As for the wobbly wheel, it's most likley the rear outer wheel bearing that is pressed into the spindle upright, other possible things can include the toe link rod end, or even the isolaters in the upright, or possibly the spindle nut. The halfshaft is held in place by the wheel bearing/spindle nut so barring some really wierd problem I doubt its the shaft.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
take the tire off get under it and have someone wiggle the rotor or take the rotor off and wiggle the shaft and see whats jiggling

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
We did that yesterday and it appears to start in the hub but when the hub shakes the entire shaft shakes but I think that is because of the design ... if the outer hub totally fails the axle slides out :uh oh:

but yeah ... if you look in from the rear we see movement in the bearing inside the boot...

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
a cv joint needs the ability to do that. if your wheel flops around like in the vette video, it is most likely either a worn wheel bearing, or a loose axle nut, which causes a worn wheel bearing...

start with retorquing of the axle nut (240 lb-ft) and if it doesnt go away, then you in all likelihood need a hub and a bearing.

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
Thanks. I dont have a 36mm or 37mm socket to try to tighten it but guess I could ask the shop to check it before the repair. Just for the hell of it I called the Ford dealer for a quote they said $400 to $500 for a hub R&R but could not be sure unless I bring it in. I had already taken it to an alignment shop and they said they would do the bearings and 4-wheel-align it for $225. I set up an appointment for Friday. Will follow up...

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
Last edited:

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
Took my car in today. Guy asked if I could wait until Monday to bring it in. I agreed and asked if he was aware of the IRS and he said yes. Will have to wait until Monday. Whats the hard part? Getting the knuckle off or pressing the bearing in and out?

TribalMan

The Terminator
Established Member
Dropped it off at 8am and got it back after lunch. He did the bearing replace and align for $225 as estimated. I'll try not to break anymore :-D

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Glad to see you got it back without any hidden expense.

Whats the hard part? Getting the knuckle off or pressing the bearing in and out?

I'd say pressing the bearing, only because I don't have a press and step plates. So I had to pay the machine shop to press. Knuckles were simple R&R, unbolt everything, reinstall everything and torque.

Shelbyguy writeup is very detailed and should be very helpfull for anyone wanting to press it on their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread