Broken bolt during Apten install

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
A buddy of mine was helping me install my Apten ported blower and he torqued one of the gold lower intake manifold bolts too much and it broke off in the intake. We were both being very careful too. :nonono: Anyone else run into this problem? If so, how would you recommend I go about removing the bolt. It's relatively easy to access so that isn't a problem.

momo stallion

ta'aj
Established Member
is the bolt flush in the hole? if so i think the only way is to use a good extractor bit set.

if you got lucky and any part of the bolt sticking out, use vise grips on the remaining part and thread that fool out..

dougwg

Established Member
we'll get that bolt out later today when I come over

do you have a replacement bolt?

71stang99

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
we'll get that bolt out later today when I come over

do you have a replacement bolt?

I broke one like you mentioned, I was fortunate enough to have enough sticking out and used the vice grips as mentioned in the other post, I went to the Ford dealers and they didnt carry that bolt in stock stating its not a normally used item and it would have to be shipped taking 2-3 days, this was with more then one dealer :cuss: They did give me the bolt size so I tried autozone and they had replacements that were silver instead of gold so hopefully the tensile strength isnt an issue and the car has been fine for the 750 miles on it so far.

Brad

Banned
Just so we're all clear here, what are the torque values for the blower bolts and the lower intake bolts? I'm putting the eaton back on my car this week and that would be great info.

Also as far as getting them out, I broke some bolts on the intercooler to eaton. I drilled them out with a left handed drill bit.

Cobrachs

Established Member
I also broke one because I over torqued it, How much were you trying to torque it to? I was told by apten to do it in two stages, first at 40 in lbs and then at 89 in lbs, of course I didnt ask till after i broke it. If you do go the ford dealer route be careful and look at his computer diagram. At my local dealer they had the same part in the pic for a supercharger bolt and a lower intake bolt and I didnt realize it till he handed me ten 8mm bolts instead of 6mm. I had to reorder and asked him for Mach 1 bolts which worked great. Its 6mm by 35mm I believe. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread