Broken brake hardline

phayze

Established Member
Working on changing the rear brake lines for stainless steel. While removing the hardline, it twisted the hardline and cracked it just above the bolt that holds the line in it. Not sure how I would go about repairing this. Advice?

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
you have two options here. one, cut above where the crack is, put your nut back onto the line and reflair it. you'll need a metric bubble flaring tool, good luck finding one. option two is to replace the entire line going back up to the abs pump, again, good luck.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I don't like splices in brake lines just MO if its not too long of a reach I would do this ^^^^ and find a flaring tool
or try a junk yard and do the whole line

phayze

Established Member
Doubt I'll find a rear passenger brake line for a cobra at a junk yard. What would it cost for a new line, I know it'll probably be costly.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Same thing happened to me on passenger side rear when upgrading to stainless lines. I just cut mine behind the break and reflaired and added a piece in. Some day I'll hunt a new long line and install it.

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I JUST had this happen to me about 2 months ago. Passenger side twisted right off of the hard line because the hard black coating didn't let the line nut freely spin. Here's what I did to fix it.

I kept the hard line nut and used a torch to heat it up which gave me the ability to remove the small bit of broken line from inside. I cleaned it out really good so I can reuse it. Then, I rented the flaring tool from autozone. I cut the hard line right where the line became straight and I also had to bend the line slightly by hand to get a good 2-3" of straight line. Don't be afraid to massage it where you want it. I used a wire wheel on a drill and removed the black coating on that 3" section. Make sure not to get any debris inside of the line when you do this. Put the old nut on the line and flare it. The SS line will be able to be connected however your bracket that bolts to the frame is no longer usable. You will have to route your line a new way, which is fine. Just make sure it doesn't get pinched.

I thought I was doomed when it happened to me but it was an easy fix.

phayze

Established Member
Just got some over the counter steel hardline. Trying to make a bubble flare and the tool is sucking bad. Tightened it so much and it slides out. Also when it doesn't slide out no matter how straight I keep it, it screws up

Users who are viewing this thread