Broken guide

So a few weeks ago I had a tapping coming from the motor that sounded like a lifter/rocker tap...I ignored it, figured it was no big deal. Within about a week the tapping became so bad that when the hood was lifted, it would just about hurt your ears. Also, the noise went away after about 2k rpm's, and it was so bad that the timing chain skipped a tooth...or more lol. Well anyways, I parked the car and started taking it apart. Finally got the timing cover off, and found this....

DSC02756.gif

Me Frustrated...on the phone asking a friend...how the hell did the guide break in half???

weekend6.jpg

lol awesome, huh? I have all the old parts off, and am about to replace the timing chain, tensioners, and guides. Just waiting for my intake, valve covers, and timing cover to get back from the powder coaters

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if the chain jumped a tooth or more, you may be pulling the heads to replace some bent valves.

Did you do a leakdown?

if the chain jumped a tooth or more, you may be pulling the heads to replace some bent valves.

Did you do a leakdown?

...thats what I'm really afraid of. A friend of mine does machine work, and last time she was over she was really anxious to pull my heads and take them to work so she can port them out (lol). So I'm really considering it so I can have a deeper look. So no, I haven't done a leak down, anything....been really busy with work and whatnot.

Been considering........blah lol. Just didn't really feel like pulling the heads, buying new head gaskets, then tearing apart the motor in a few months to put an aluminum block in it. (one of the previous owners blew the motor so the cheap fix was a stock gt iron block under the 4v heads haha)

bvysochin

Established Member
Wow, good work. Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to be doing this very soon as I believe I have the same problem on my daily driver..

Quadcammer

Established Member
...thats what I'm really afraid of. A friend of mine does machine work, and last time she was over she was really anxious to pull my heads and take them to work so she can port them out (lol). So I'm really considering it so I can have a deeper look. So no, I haven't done a leak down, anything....been really busy with work and whatnot.

Been considering........blah lol. Just didn't really feel like pulling the heads, buying new head gaskets, then tearing apart the motor in a few months to put an aluminum block in it. (one of the previous owners blew the motor so the cheap fix was a stock gt iron block under the 4v heads haha)

Hmm.

To be honest, Id probably yank the motor out, and really check out whats in there.

If you put a stock GT shortblock in there, you will want to be very careful spinning to 7k. In addition, id be concerned with what compression you're running and what other "cheap" routes the previous owner took.

good luck.

Hmm.

To be honest, Id probably yank the motor out, and really check out whats in there.

If you put a stock GT shortblock in there, you will want to be very careful spinning to 7k. In addition, id be concerned with what compression you're running and what other "cheap" routes the previous owner took.

good luck.

oh don't worry, after I get the turbo in the car I'm going to be pulling out that iron block. It has stock GT internals, but the Cobra cams and heads.

I'm not really going to take the time to yank out the motor...not yet atleast. I don't have the area to do it, and I don't feel like getting the car towed to someone else's shop lol......too lazy

Quadcammer

Established Member
okay.

Well, unless you don't care how long the motor in there lasts, then I would still try to keep revs below 6200rpm.

The lack of center counterweights on the cast cranks really hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread