Broken MT82 PICS..

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
As I've said in previous threads, I've had issues with my MT82 trans. It's had a horrible whine since day one, which has progressively gotten worse. Shifting has always been a little notchy, but, not as bad as what others seem to be experiencing.

I have NOT had any clutch issues.. Upon pulling the trans, the tech noted that the pressure plate bolts where tight, and I checked everything out. The clutch shows almost zero wear. The pressure plate has no hot spots/glazing at all. The car is not driven hard at all. I've beat on it a few times, but, my wife mainly drives it to/from work.

The car has 5K miles on the clock, and I bought it with about 100 miles on it. It was a dealer transfer from Veterans Ford in New Orleans, LA. It has made noise from day one, and I think that there may have been some damage done before it arrived. This was obviously thier test drive vehicle, as it had some mileage on it when it arrived.

Anyway, here's a few pics..

5.jpg

6.jpg

Lots of shavings in the oil..

7.jpg

Broken throw out bearing. Was "clicking" and making a little noise..

9.jpg

Front of case, Input shaft/bearing for main shaft

10.jpg

Rear of case, output shaft and main shaft bearings.. steel shift forks

Here's the broken bits..

13.jpg

Magnet with TONS of shavings and bits of teeth..

8.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I counted 8 broken teeth on the synchro gear.. I'm pretty sure that's the part, anyway.. That's a good bit of shavings for a trans with only 5K miles of use. Ford is asking the tech to figure out how much it would cost to rebuild it. The tech is mad because he wants them to send a new trans. I don't blame him.. They only pay 7 hours to fix it.

Travis

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I agree.. It certainly wasn't me, though. I've been driving stick cars for 15 years, and I have never broken a trans. My wife drives like a grandma.. LOL!

Tispho

Established Member
Hope you get a new tranny. Mine is grinding second occasionally and I sure as hell hope it doesn't look like that.

wbt

Banned
Help your tech plea the case by calling the Ford customer service hotline. Demand a new trans to be completely satisfied with the car or you will advise every Mustang owner in the community of how Ford is pushing back on fixing the car properly. :thumbsup:

kevinp

Established Member
Those chipped teeth shouldnt make it whine, just hard to get in gear or grind, I'm sure there is a torn up bearing somewhere from the metal floating around thats making it whine all the time Looks like someone was practicing their power shifting abilities before you bought it :)

If the tech cant fix that trans then he never should have taken it apart, should be simple parts replacement and clean up to fix it.

Either way +1 on the you will be seeing more of this, not a very stout looking piece..

Last edited:

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Me thinks the monkey that drove it to your local dealer does not
know how to power shift and beat the crap out of it.
You can bet the driver did the "can't find em' grind em' routine"...:nonono:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
hope you have better luck than we did on our seats...had the car for a few weeks and noticed the driver side was pilling and the passenger side actually ripped open on the seam..they want to replace the pilling side but wont cover the passenger side.. said it looks like we cut it...so we have to pay to get it fixed...not a happy camper..

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
hope you have better luck than we did on our seats...had the car for a few weeks and noticed the driver side was pilling and the passenger side actually ripped open on the seam..they want to replace the pilling side but wont cover the passenger side.. said it looks like we cut it...so we have to pay to get it fixed...not a happy camper..

Try another dealership. If nothing else a good upholstery shop can probably fix it on the cheap.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Hotline says that the tech has to rebuild the trans.. He is replacing every part in the gearbox. So, we'll see. I don't care, as long as it's fixed properly, and doesn't make noise. If it does.. it's going right back to the dealer.

I've never missed a shift with this trans.. which is odd, considering the damage. It's notchy sometimes, but, it never really grinds or anything funny like that.

Travis

kevinp

Established Member
Hotline says that the tech has to rebuild the trans.. He is replacing every part in the gearbox. So, we'll see. I don't care, as long as it's fixed properly, and doesn't make noise. If it does.. it's going right back to the dealer.

I've never missed a shift with this trans.. which is odd, considering the damage. It's notchy sometimes, but, it never really grinds or anything funny like that.

Travis

That damage is to the 1st gear syncro ring, most likely someone did a full power 2-1 instead of 2-3 shift. Could also have been something floating around the trans new that took the teeth off, not necessarily abuse. Could just be some bad hardening/materials as well. Unless the point of the teeth are flattened out missing a few wont make it hard to shift, even if they were flat you would only notice it getting it into 1st gear.

It should be pretty obvious what was making the noise when they start getting into it more. Hope they get it straightened out, odd they wont just send a new trans for a car with 5,000 miles on it, unless they arent available..

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
That damage is to the 1st gear syncro ring, most likely someone did a full power 2-1 instead of 2-3 shift. Could also have been something floating around the trans new that took the teeth off, not necessarily abuse. Could just be some bad hardening/materials as well. Unless the point of the teeth are flattened out missing a few wont make it hard to shift, even if they were flat you would only notice it getting it into 1st gear.

It should be pretty obvious what was making the noise when they start getting into it more. Hope they get it straightened out, odd they wont just send a new trans for a car with 5,000 miles on it, unless they arent available..

I remember when I first bought the car, that it easily popped out of 1st gear. It did this a few times, but, it stopped. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've never gone from 2nd to 1st though..

Travis

snkchmr 1

I remember going through transmission problems and the dealership with my 96 Cobra. They rebuilt it 3 times & when I had gave up & put the car up for sale I got a call out of the blue that they had me a new transmission.

kevinp

Established Member
I remember when I first bought the car, that it easily popped out of 1st gear. It did this a few times, but, it stopped. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've never gone from 2nd to 1st though..

Travis

Not saying you did it, or anyone did it, you can see a score on the countershaft where the syncro teeth are. Like I said its possible something was floating around in there and found its way between the countershaft and syncro teeth. Its not easy to break just a few of those teeth off and leave most intact by beating on it.

Users who are viewing this thread