Brought Car to the dealer AGAIN! (CV Joint)

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
i brought my car in this morning to get it checked out because the tick in the rear came back. the guy said it was the CV Joint, aka Constant Velocity Joint. can anyone shed some light on this one?

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Search for "pop tink" I'm sure that will pull up endless threads. Better yet, save a headache and give up now. Not to discourage you but I've gone around and around and around and around... (you get the idea) with multiple dealers to no avail. At one point ford engineers came out to look at the car and it was deemed a "characteristic of the vehicle" Good luck, and if you do have success, please, let me know.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
well he said he was gonna replace it tomorrow morning, i said he can keep my snake over night. what i'm really trying to do is make my rear IRS flawless so when i swap with a solid axle owner they will have a perfect IRS or near perfect condition.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
The problem will come right back. I have faught this with Ford, different dealers, etc. They refuse to admitt that this is an issue. I hate it during the summer with the windows down, at every stop light, "tink tink". It sucks.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
magstang1 said:
I guess they would have to replace it if it was broken :poke:

you need to understand what the pop/tink issue is to appreciate what Mike is saying...

a lot of the pop/tink is caused by excessive wear at the mating surface between the axle shafts and hubs and Ford has been reticent to replace the whole halfshaft or hub (just) because it's making noise :bash:

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
JB said:
you need to understand what the pop/tink issue is to appreciate what Mike is saying...

a lot of the pop/tink is caused by excessive wear at the mating surface between the axle shafts and hubs and Ford has been reticent to replace the whole halfshaft or hub (just) because it's making noise :bash:

I've had my car at 3 different dealers with 2 halfshafts replaced for this. I think I have a good idea what he's talking about.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
guess I skipped over your earlier post

did they replace any hubs?

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
no the time before they just replaced/tightened the axle nuts and now this CV Joint (Constant Velocity) sh1t... i'm just gonna go with a solid axle as soon as i find one plus i just bought the 15x10 weld prostars off stopsign32v but they won't go on our IRS, and thats another reason why i need a solid.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
No hubs, just axles. I think if they did both, I wouldn't have this problem anymore. I went back for the retorque and that lasted about 100 miles or so.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that sucks :(

I was lucky...my stock axles were quiet and then I got Level 2's which seem to be a tighter fit in the hubs

Last edited:

GotGrunt

Established Member
My car has the 14mm IRS bolts installed and it doesn't have the pop/tink. Do they have any relation with one another? When does it happen and how loud is it?

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
THe 14mm bolts have no correlation to the 'pop/tink' that occours upon foward or reverse movement of the car from a stop.

The sound occours when you go from a dead stop, foward (or reverse). You will hear a tink sound, can be 1-3 tinks.

Also you cant retorque these hub nuts, they are crush nuts. Use em once and you have to toss them. Ford will also tell you to put some grease on em, but that only lasts about a month or so.

GotGrunt

Established Member
mike79 said:
THe 14mm bolts have no correlation to the 'pop/tink' that occours upon foward or reverse movement of the car from a stop.

The sound occours when you go from a dead stop, foward (or reverse). You will hear a tink sound, can be 1-3 tinks.

Also you cant retorque these hub nuts, they are crush nuts. Use em once and you have to toss them. Ford will also tell you to put some grease on em, but that only lasts about a month or so.
I don't have it. I guess I'm just lucky then :shrug:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
well they replaced the halfshafts!!!!!! i'm no BSing but the car feels BETTER no joking here lol. i'm pretty stoked. heres the tech notes: Hooked up electronic ears to do noise in rear found axle shaft making noise at left rear hub retorqued axle nut to specs still noise there R&R axle shaft assy found splines rusty and worn orderd axle shaft installed axle shaft topped off diff fluid re road test ok. part number FMC 2R3Z (shaft asy) QTY: 1 and then part # for the Ret & Washwer assy RR QTY: 2. the Shaft asy was 279.84 and the other thing was 13.88. all in all it came out to $573.39. so far regular warranty has paid for my extended warranty. so far about $1,300 of warranty work has been done. any more questions just ask and i'll let you know. oh did they only replace one halfshaft? isn't there 2 of them?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that is just one halfshaft...apparently their high-tech listening device only showed noise from one side

FYI: the $13.88 for Retainer & Washer Assembly is actually (2) axle nuts

because its a single-use fastener, they did the right thing in replacing them, as everyone else should do if they ever have to remove them.........part # is FOSZ-4B477A

they probably used one nut for the retorque and then another when they replaced the shaft

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
although still ridiculously expensive, my Level 2's should at least alleviate the problem you guys are describing

Users who are viewing this thread