Brought my '11 in for tranmission noise..

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Took my car in for tranmission noise this past week.. It's whining in every gear except for 5th and 6th. It's so loud, it sounds like there's a twin screw under the hood. LOL!

It's done it since day one, and the car was dealer transfered with a few hundred miles on it. So, I suspect that it was beat on/damaged before I bought it.

Anyway, the trans is out, the clutch looks fine.. and I'll find out Monday what's going to happen with it. No sign of the pressure plate coming loose like we've seen on others. The TOB did have some abnormal wear, and he said they're going to replace it. Also, there's a bit of slack in the rear end.. they're going to fix that as well. It was making it's own seperate noise, but, I was more concerned about the trans, as it seems the noise was getting worse.

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I'm going to insist that they do. :)

Nah.. the tech is VERY cool, and pretty much told me that he's not going to let it leave until there's no more noise. Eventually, after we jump through all of the hoops, Ford will approve a new transmission (as they should).

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
mine whines in 1-4 too, has since day one. Please let us know if they figure out the problem.

Oh, some have suggested it is because it may have straight cut gears. who knows... sneak a peek at the inside of the tranny when they have it apart if u can. lol

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
off topic a little, in your signature, your car has tune, did dealer give you hard time?

I removed my intake and tune a few days before going in.. However, after chatting with the tech, he said he didn't really care if it had a intake and a pump gas tune, as long as I didn't blow the motor up. ;)

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
mine whines in 1-4 too, has since day one. Please let us know if they figure out the problem.

Oh, some have suggested it is because it may have straight cut gears. who knows... sneak a peek at the inside of the tranny when they have it apart if u can. lol

It definitely doesn't have straight cut gears.. They're helical.. I was looking at the FSM at Ford with the tech the other day on the internals. We were trying to figure out if 5th and 6th were on a seperate shaft than 1st-4th.

It's not normal, though.. So, I'd get it checked out.

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Got a call from the dealer today.. They put it back together after replacing the TOB, and drove it. Of course, it still makes the same noise, but, they have to do what Ford tells them to do. So, they're tearing it back out, and will wait to see what Ford tells them to do next. They're either going to tell them to open up the trans, and replace parts, or, send a new one and have them send the old one back.

Travis

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Got a call from the dealer today.. They put it back together after replacing the TOB, and drove it. Of course, it still makes the same noise, but, they have to do what Ford tells them to do. So, they're tearing it back out, and will wait to see what Ford tells them to do next. They're either going to tell them to open up the trans, and replace parts, or, send a new one and have them send the old one back.

Travis

I work for a compay that makes transmissions. Usually the OEM will replace the entire transmission and send the old unit back to be tested and tore down for investigation.

I can't offer any suggestions for your transmission, but it is common to hear some gear noise in performance cars, especially in the lower gears. In fact, that mechanical sound is seen as an enhancing aspect of driving a performance car. The higher gears are usually quieter because they use a finer tooth count and a sharper helical angle for just that purpose.

I'm not suggesting that your transmission sounds normal. Only you can make that call by comparing your car to others like it. It sounds like you've got a technician who's on your side. That should help you a lot. I hope Ford gets this remedied for you soon.

PhantomX

Established Member
So far every 11 GT I've listened to and driven sounds exactly the same. Mine does it as well. if you go in the other thread where they were comparing the different axle backs (Roush, Hushpower, GT500) you'll hear the whine in the video on his car as well.

Mines a touch notchy when it's cold but nothing I haven't experienced with other performance manuals. After a few miles it seems to settle into place and shift pretty nice. Needs a short throw badly though...

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
All transmissions make noise.. I've owned enough Tremec's to know this. ;) I also rebuild Nissan manual transmissions in my performance shop.

However, this is certainly abnormal. Also, it didn't make NEARLY as much noise when it was brand new. It's a lash issue.. probably on the countershaft (if 1st-4th reside on that side). I've never been in this transmission, so I don't know where anything is.

All of the gears are helical cut in this transmission. 5th gear is 1:1 (direct), and it doesn't make ANY noise at all. So, it goes from 4th being very noisey, to 5th being absolutely quiet.

Travis

Last edited:

PhantomX

Established Member
All transmissions make noise.. I've owned enough Tremec's to know this. ;) I also rebuild Nissan manual transmissions in my performance shop.

However, this is certainly abnormal. Also, it didn't make NEARLY as much noise when it was brand new. It's a lash issue.. probably on the countershaft (if 1st-4th reside on that side). I've never been in this transmission, so I don't know where anything is.

All of the gears are helical cut in this transmission. 5th gear is 1:1 (direct), and it doesn't make ANY noise at all. So, it goes from 4th being very noisey, to 5th being absolutely quiet.

Travis

Let's hope Ford comes up with a fix, I wouldn't mind it being a bit more quiet...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My '11 GT's manual transmission does not whine. When I say that I mean doesn't whine in the sense that it's abnormally load. Every transmission makes a bit of noise, but it's usually imperceptible with the radio on, or a talking passenger etc.

My engine just knocks :/

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Went to the dealer today..

The tech said that Ford told them to remove the trans, drain it, and pull it apart to determine what needs to be replaced and the cost.

Apparently, the tech found tons of metal shavings in the oil, including what looks like pieces of syncro and bearing material (some brass, some steel).

Also, the dealer didn't even have the tools required to pull this thing apart.. Apparently, it's got some oddball metric HUGE allen head bolts or something that the dealership didn't have. So, the tech is telling Ford that they need to just send a new unit, and let them send this one back.

Here's a few pics..

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The throw out bearing was f*cked.. The input shaft feels like it has an unusual amount of play in it as well. The trans makes strange sounds when rotated by hand. Who knows.. All I know is that I'm getting a new trans. :)

Travis

lsp408

Established Member
well, I believe replace the whole transmission is the wise choice. By just replace what seem broken parts, there maybe other parts that is on its way to fail. The tech is pretty straight forward. hopefully you can be back on the road in no time

Users who are viewing this thread