Budget 1-pc Aluminum Driveshaft?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
This is more a less just a thought, no real plans to carry it out.

We all know that 1-pc driveshafts are a hot commodity for our cars. Shaftmasters and DSS makes quality products. However, I got to thinking if it was budget friendly to make your own DS. 10th generation F-150s came with 4" (iirc) 1-pc aluminum shafts from the factory. I would imagine if they are suitable for a Lightning, they should be fine at average (stock to 650-700) hp levels strength wise. Only thing uncertain on my part is spinning them north of 7k RPM, when those trucks only went 6k-6.5k.

Would it be cost effective at all to cut one of those down to the required length to use in our cars?

draxxus131

Established Member
As long as it is balanced properly after re-welding both the ends to different specs, then ya I would say it is alright.

On second thought, the arithmetic involved plus the welding and having to put a new CV joint and yoke on it. It may actually end up being close to an aftermarket driveshaft.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
As long as it is balanced properly after re-welding both the ends to different specs, then ya I would say it is alright.

On second thought, the arithmetic involved plus the welding and having to put a new CV joint and yoke on it. It may actually end up being close to an aftermarket driveshaft.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The amount of work needed to be done sans welding, unless you can weld it yourself, are probably the kill point on the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread