Buick G-body Turbo gurus

00BlackGT

Established Member
I've been looking for a grand national project for awhile and I found what id be interested in. But it is very rough. It is an 86'

- Needs Paint
- Needs Interior
- Engine/Drive Train rebuilt... pretty much, it needs a full resto... which is what i was looking for.

The guy is asking 4900 for it, was going to offer 3000. Is it even worth that?

What are some area i should look at too, he said it runs but i am not concerned about the drivetrain because it would be built anyways.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
A GN is one of those cars that would probably be financially worth doing a restoration on. Quality examples have already started to appreciate in value.

Now with that said, the price of a restoration these days is pretty steep. Most of the costly stuff on my '69 bird was done back in the early 2000's before prices for labor and parts started to skyrocket. To do a full resto on the car at this point would be north of $35,000.

So depending on how far gone the car you're looking at is, you might be in for some sticker shock when you go to restore. The first thing I'd do is thoroughly check it out and also have a mechanic look at it. Your major costs from what you're stating are going to be the paint and the drive train. If the car also needs body panels, electrical, bright-work etc. it can really add up.

But figure 20,000 at least between paint and the drive train if you want a quality job done.

As far as the car being worth it, that's kind of up to you and what you're trying to do with it. If you're trying to get the car cheap, rebuild and sell for a profit, I'm not sure if it's there at $4900. However with that said, the car exists in kind of a gray area right now. It's not really considered a classic or a collectors item (yet). but even places like KBB and NADA are pricing them pretty high. Rough trade in at NADA is listed at 12k. So assuming the car runs and drives, that $4900.00 figure is actually pretty good. I'm not sure I'd low-ball at 3000 unless you're looking to make money off it.

If it's a project car you want to keep and drive, I'd be more around the $4000.00 price point myself. Then sink about 25-30K in to it and you've got no more money in it then what a clean stock example would be worth.

Last edited:

00BlackGT

Established Member
I appeciate your POV, brings some things to light... I have always loved these cars and wanted to build one to my specs. Ive done a few restos and have the facilities to do all the work myself except paint.

I am not set on going back 100% original. I do not even know if i was to keep it a 6cyl car, nor keep it black. That being said, i want to build a GN to my specs.

Mxfrench

Established Member
I got a line on a guy with a rare t type that needs paint and body work, less then 100k miles

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I appeciate your POV, brings some things to light... I have always loved these cars and wanted to build one to my specs. Ive done a few restos and have the facilities to do all the work myself except paint.

I am not set on going back 100% original. I do not even know if i was to keep it a 6cyl car, nor keep it black. That being said, i want to build a GN to my specs.

I hear ya on that! My Firebird is so far from original it's scary. There in lies a major problem though. If I ever am in need of selling this car, it'll be difficult. Placing a value on a modified classic is hard to do.

With that said, it's not like new cars where if you put an intake and exhaust on them, that money is a complete waste when it comes time to sell.

I'm all about driving these cars and not parking them in a bubble. People need to experience these things. Hear them, smell them and at the end of the day piss themselves for just how freaking dangerous they are.

I would just make sure that you keep all the original parts, including that engine. You may at some point decide that you want to do a different project. Putting that car back to a numbers matching original is your best hope to make good on what you put in to it.

00BlackGT

Established Member
i agree 100% bud.

I have a 67' Mustang that is'nt even close to OEM, it wasnt an original car either when i got it.

about 7 years ago i bought a 64' impala ss vert. 4 speed. Did a lil work to it, although it is pretty original. It is numbers matching and because of that i dont wanna touch it. Also makes it a very boring vehicle for me to own. With that said I have it up for sale.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
i agree 100% bud.

I have a 67' Mustang that is'nt even close to OEM, it wasnt an original car either when i got it.

about 7 years ago i bought a 64' impala ss vert. 4 speed. Did a lil work to it, although it is pretty original. It is numbers matching and because of that i dont wanna touch it. Also makes it a very boring vehicle for me to own. With that said I have it up for sale.

A guy across the street from my parents had a
1. 69 RS/SS Camaro with a 396 auto trans and a/c. Super rare combo.
2. 63 Corvette 427 4spd stick with original rear glass, very rare.
3. 65 z-16 chevelle Malibu.

That being said, he always had some other project to keep him occupied with modifying and playing with cars so he wasn't tempted to do anything to the 3 cars that were and still to this day are concourse level restored cars. When you buy a car like that, you have to make up your mind early on whether or not you plan to mod a car and not regret your decision.

Another expensive part of a restoration is the interior. If its completely destroyed it will add a lot to the budget to find all the parts in decent condition.

dooberGN

Established Member
If I were you I would find one that needs as little interior work as possible. From my experience finding parts to build the drivetrain in these cars is easy, when you start needing interior components it gets tricky and fairly expensive.

Like you said you don't have to do it 100% original or keep it black but I would try to stick with the 3.8, you can make insane power easily with it.

itSSlow98

Established Member
If I were you I would find one that needs as little interior work as possible. From my experience finding parts to build the drivetrain in these cars is easy, when you start needing interior components it gets tricky and fairly expensive.

Like you said you don't have to do it 100% original or keep it black but I would try to stick with the 3.8, you can make insane power easily with it.

THIS!!!!!!

The good thing about the GNs and ttypes etc is they are Gbody cars, so doors, trunks, fenders etc are a dime a dozen its the bumper fillers(destined to be ruined) are ridiculously priced for what they are and can be a real biotch to find.

Engine/trans parts are easily found and pretty affordable. The other concern is tuning because there arent that many people that do it and are good at it so if your local to one of the few shops thats a huge plus.

Being in NC your close to one of the biggest GN guys in the country Brian Weaver who will have any part you would ever need.

http://www.gbodyparts.com/information.php?info_id=2&osCsid=28b300b13cd22c571558006172372d16

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread