Build it or wait...opinions

Tickle

Established Member
So I am at the point where my Cobra will soon be a toy/weekend warrior due to a 3rd child on the way. I am at the point where I have sunk a ton into my 96 vert and adding power is next.

I have no intentions of winning races. All I want is a grin on my face and the butt dyno to have some decent numbers.

Options are:

1. Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. Wait for the day to buy a newer car with built in power(Vette, GT500, terminator, etc.)
2. Put a blower on it and go down the never ending rabbit hole of modding to support more power.

What would you pick. I'm on my phone,otherwise I'd do a poll.

Stang Lover

Established Member
If you sold the cobra how long would it take to get a terminator? If it were me and it was paid off i'd probably throw a blower on it with a safe tune and call it a day.

Tickle

Established Member
It's paid off. Any new car would take a year or 2 to get, almost got a '12 gt500 but my wife came to her senses.

I'm okay with a stock SN-95 but it will eventually need more power. Right now its a dd with 2 baby seats in the back, who knows what I can get away with later.

whyxitx

Established Member
Personally, i'd leave it alone. My car has been down since last September and it's not getting done any time soon.. enjoy it for what you have as long as it's running okay! Mine started to run awful and that's when i started taking it apart.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'd wait and buy something different. Modded cars require the time for occasional maintenance, and with 3 kiddos I doubt that you'll want to spend your time working on it instead of driving it.

LDC2335

Established Member
So I am at the point where my Cobra will soon be a toy/weekend warrior due to a 3rd child on the way. I am at the point where I have sunk a ton into my 96 vert and adding power is next.

I have no intentions of winning races. All I want is a grin on my face and the butt dyno to have some decent numbers.

Options are:

1. Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. Wait for the day to buy a newer car with built in power(Vette, GT500, terminator, etc.)
2. Put a blower on it and go down the never ending rabbit hole of modding to support more power.

What would you pick. I'm on my phone,otherwise I'd do a poll.
I'm with you, 3 kids, military, college, etc.

Added the blower and now wish sometimes I hadn't. Too much time in the garage. I keep telling myself it's worth it because of the excitement when I stomp on it, but I've been considering selling the supercharger lately just to prevent inevitable maintenance, engine work.

Not to mention, With the thousands of dollars and time off of work. I could have taken the family on a sweet vacation.

Save it.

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm with you, 3 kids, military, college, etc.

Added the blower and now wish sometimes I hadn't. Too much time in the garage. I keep telling myself it's worth it because of the excitement when I stomp on it, but I've been considering selling the supercharger lately just to prevent inevitable maintenance, engine work.

Not to mention, With the thousands of dollars and time off of work. I could have taken the family on a sweet vacation.

Save it.

Not trying to hijack but curious to know what problems your having with your supercharger. I've been running a Vortech on mine for 5yrs daily and have no issues.

LDC2335

Established Member
No real problems, just supporting mods. Intercooler after the fact which required a pulley swap and re-tune, radiator cause she ran too hot and didn't have the 96 Tsb done, new trans, clutch, and everything in between. I've also have to do a fair amount of vacuum leak chasing, unrelated a/c work, motor mounts, coil swaps, catch cans etc.

So nothing actually wrong with the supercharger, just too much time in the garage. Probably coincidence, but I never had to replace a thing before the blower. It just ran.

I chasing a rough cold start idle right now. Probably fuel related.

Just can't win.

mysteed

Established Member
Personally I would toss a Vortech or Kenne Bell kit on the car with a safe tune and call it done. Plenty of power for a weekend car that you won't be pushing that hard.

No real problems, just supporting mods. Intercooler after the fact which required a pulley swap and re-tune, radiator cause she ran too hot and didn't have the 96 Tsb done, new trans, clutch, and everything in between. I've also have to do a fair amount of vacuum leak chasing, unrelated a/c work, motor mounts, coil swaps, catch cans etc.

So nothing actually wrong with the supercharger, just too much time in the garage. Probably coincidence, but I never had to replace a thing before the blower. It just ran.

I chasing a rough cold start idle right now. Probably fuel related.

Just can't win.
But just remember once you get past the initial issues you'll have a reliable car with a decent amount of power. It's always the initial issues that frustrate you the most.

Balt21

Established Member
Just curious, if you buy a GT500/terminator/vette will you still mod it or leave it as it is since it already has more power? I've thought about this before as well, but I know whatever car I have I'll eventually mod it because I can't leave anything alone. There is something to be said when stepping up into one of those other cars though since it will be a different experience if you're getting bored with the sn95.

Kennedy

Established Member
Tough call. I have though about getting something different, but love the look of SN-95s. I am also cooking up a 65 fastback that should get paint some time soon.

My cobra has 167K on the clock. I did a C-head motor a while back along with a ported intake, exhaust, pulleys etc. It is pretty darn quick (and I live at altitude). I am not sure how much power one really needs. With gears and exhaust, these cars are quick. If you don't have 4.10s or higher, that will wake the car up.

Good luck.

Chris

GRUSE

Established Member
Leave it the way it is and enjoy your Cobra.
If you have a few extra bucks and really need to do something,gears would be the way to go 4.10 or 4.30.I have 3.73 and eventually will step up to 4.30's.
Nitrous is also an option,very easy to install.Piecing a kit together via the marketplace can be done relatively inexpensive.Short term it's a great power adder,long term bottle refills start to add up.

Users who are viewing this thread