Build Thread

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Well, she lives. It started up for the first time last night and after about 3 seconds all the lash adjusters pumped up and it ran like a sewing machine. I turned it off to address a few other things and then it would wouldn't start back up. I pulled the plugs and they were soaked with fuel, swapped them out for a dry set and it fired back up and ran great.

Quite a bit of vapor coming out of the catch can but I've been told that is normal until the rings seat.

Big thanks to Rob and Brian for their help in troubleshooting this cranky b!tch. I have quite a few loose ends to tie up before I can actually put it on the road and start logging some break-in miles.

One more thing I thought was kind of cool...I turned the car off and I continued to hear a mechanical spinning noise, I traced it to the turbos and noticed that they were still spinning almost 30 seconds after I had turned the car off, you gotta love ball bearings!

my catch can has a lot of vapor also

I run dual ball bearings with a billet wheel

yes it spins down and I love the sound

also and most importantly....

did you jet down the oil fed for the turbo line yet? you need to pull the turbo oil drain line off and run car for 30 seconds. measure how many OZ of oil come out. you want no more than 4.5oz at idle for 30 seconds or 9oz of oil in 1minute. anymore and you will blow oil past the turbo and coat the charge pipe with oil....

stradt03

Established Member
my catch can has a lot of vapor also

I run dual ball bearings with a billet wheel

yes it spins down and I love the sound

also and most importantly....

did you jet down the oil fed for the turbo line yet? you need to pull the turbo oil drain line off and run car for 30 seconds. measure how many OZ of oil come out. you want no more than 4.5oz at idle for 30 seconds or 9oz of oil in 1minute. anymore and you will blow oil past the turbo and coat the charge pipe with oil....

Good call, I do have the turbo feed lines jetted down, I think they are 0.030 or a 0.035 jets. Plan was the get the car starting reliably then check the drain flow out of the turbos. I think tomorrow I will be checking the flow rate from the drains. I assume this is something you want to check when the car is up to operating temp? What oil pressures are people seeing at hot idle?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Good call, I do have the turbo feed lines jetted down, I think they are 0.030 or a 0.035 jets. Plan was the get the car starting reliably then check the drain flow out of the turbos. I think tomorrow I will be checking the flow rate from the drains. I assume this is something you want to check when the car is up to operating temp? What oil pressures are people seeing at hot idle?

.026 jet seems to be spot on for precision cea 7675 dual ball bearing bullet wheel turbo.

What turbo do you have?

I've ran a .026 nos jet on 4 different setups with the precision ball bearing turbos

I've never measured hot always cold. I've never measured pressures either only volume.

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
I just verified, they are 0.030 jets. Turbos are Precision 6266 CEA dual ball bearing.

I'll measure flow rate at cold start and then again at operating temp and see how they compare. It might be useful data that someone down the road can reference.

stradt03

Established Member
Update:

Measured cold start flow rate and in 60 seconds with the 0.030 restrictors, driver side put out almost 8oz of oil and the passenger side put out a whopping 0.5oz of oil.

Pulled the oil feed lines and observed some debris clogging up the restrictors.
IMAG3862_1.jpg

Ran some additional tests once the restrictors were cleared of the debris, both sides flow 8oz of oil in 30 seconds at cold start. I think the recommended flow rate is 8-10oz in 30 seconds but I believe the flow rate would increase as the car comes up to temp and the oil becomes less viscous.

The oil has a fuel smell to it, probably partly due to it being a new engine and getting blow-by as well as having a super rich start up tune. I'll have to get the tune tweaked and put some fresh oil. I'll probably test the oil flow rate at the turbos at least 1-2 more times before I am comfortable that no additional debris is being caught up in the restrictors.

Next up is to set the front and rear ride heights (MM coil overs up front and MM adjustable control arms in back). The good news is that this is the first time the car has been on the ground in over a year and a half!!
IMAG3864.jpg
IMAG3865.jpg

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
The flow rate is 4.5 Oz in 30 seconds...

9oz for 1 min

You will have oil in the charge pipe with 8-10 Oz at idle for 30 seconds bro

stradt03

Established Member
The flow rate is 4.5 Oz in 30 seconds...

9oz for 1 min

You will have oil in the charge pipe with 8-10 Oz at idle for 30 seconds bro

I've been told so many different things I don't know what to believe.... Hellion told me 8-10oz in 30 seconds, Precision told me -4 line with no restrictiors, and multiple places on the internet say 6-8oz in 30 seconds. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but these are ball bearing turbos. Based on the design, I would think journal turbos would require more oil flow.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I've been told so many different things I don't know what to believe.... Hellion told me 8-01oz in 30 seconds, Precision told me -4 line with no restrictiors, and multiple places on the internet say 6-8oz in 30 seconds. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but these are ball bearing turbos. Based on the design, I would think journal turbos would require more oil flow.

journal bearings require more oil...

call down there to hellion and talk with john urist. with a ball bearing turbo you need less oil. if you call precision they blame excess oil on 3 things...

1. air filter to small
2. turbo drain line to small to kinked
3. to large turbo feed line

I'm telling you run 4.5oz in 30seconds

but call hellion and speak with john please

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Air filter too small? First I've heard of that. What's the size they want? Precision needs to do a much better job of documentation on these sort of things.

stradt03

Established Member
journal bearings require more oil...

call down there to hellion and talk with john urist. with a ball bearing turbo you need less oil. if you call precision they blame excess oil on 3 things...

1. air filter to small
2. turbo drain line to small to kinked
3. to large turbo feed line

I'm telling you run 4.5oz in 30seconds

but call hellion and speak with john please

Just called Hellion and they confirmed that they want to see 8-10 oz in 30 seconds. They did qualify it with stating that you want the most oil flow you can get without smoking is ideal.

stradt03

Established Member
I was doing one last warm up cycle to verify that the fan kicks on when it is supposed to and I peeked under the car to find an oil slick. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Spent an hour or so tracing down where the oil was coming from, it was strange since it didn't leak until the car was up to operating temp.

Ended up finding that the o-ring on the dipstick tube was pinched when it was installed and was allowing oil to pass.

I ended up just ordering a Lokar flexible dip stick tube. I'm not messing around with this damn stock tube and trying to route it through the manifold and motor mount.

Last edited:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I was doing one last warm up cycle to verify that the fan kicks on when it is supposed to and I peeked under the car to find an oil slick. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Spent an hour or so tracing down where the oil was coming from, it was strange since it didn't leak until the car was up to operating temp.

Ended up finding that the o-ring on the dipstick tube was pinched when it was installed and was allowing oil to pass.

I ended up just ordering a Lokar flexible dip stick tube. I'm not messing around with this damn stock tube and trying to route it through the headers and motor mount.
I installed the flexible one in mine as well. WAAAAY easier than the factory and it uses the factory length dipstick.

MTBSully

Established Member

I ended up just ordering a Lokar flexible dip stick tube. I'm not messing around with this damn stock tube and trying to route it through the headers and motor mount.

Smart man. I think installing the drivers side header and dipstick tube was THE hardest part of my turbo build. Wish I had known flexible dipstick tubes existed. If that drivers manifold ever needs to come off again you can bet your ass i'm doing it. Never sworn so much and thrown so many tools in my life haha

stradt03

Established Member
OP - You gotta bring your ride back home for next year's Woodward Dream Cruise... :)

Hello Sir! It's been a while! Hope all is well with you, are you still living in C-town? I've been meaning to get back up to the mitten for the Woodward Cruise but Mustang Week is so close to me down here (2 hours vs the 12 back to Woodward) that it keeps me from heading to Woodward every year.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
^ That would no longer be a 12 hour drive with that new powerplant under your hood. j/k :-D Let's see some video of that bad boy running !

stradt03

Established Member
I installed the flexible one in mine as well. WAAAAY easier than the factory and it uses the factory length dipstick.

So I put the Lokar flexible dip stick tube in and that took care of the oil leak. The Lokar stick is a very nice piece but the one thing I do not like about it is that the strap that comes with the stick to attach to the head is about 4 inches too short. I'm not sure how I feel about not having the tube firmly attached to the head to keep it from blowing out.

Has anyone else used the Lokar tube? How did you secure it? I'm considering just making a custom strap that goes down to the bolt boss on the head where the stock dipstick tube was secured.

Users who are viewing this thread