Building A 351 w for my 69 mach 1

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
So i finally broke down and bought a bunch of parts to build a motor for my 69 that wiped out a cam a few years back. So far i have purchased:

69 block .030 over
arp head studs
forged crank
forged h beam rods
forged flat top pistons w/ valve reliefs
solid roller cam around .600 lift/ 250 duration
victor intake
built 750 carb
billet distributor
worked pro comp aluminum heads with 60cc chambers ( i also have a set of world products heads 58cc)
mls head gaskets
1.6 roller rockers
girldes
double valve springs
deep sump pan w/ windage tray
shorty headers matched to the heads ( i know they're gonna rob power but im trying to work around the factory z bar for the 4 speed)

My question is is there anything major im missing before i start putting this thing together? Will stock mechanical fuel pump meet the engines fuel needs? Any estimates on power?

Last edited:

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
a few pics of the car how it sits right now:

march11103.jpg

march11100.jpg

march11101.jpg

march11109.jpg

march11105.jpg

Last edited:

MrWesson22

Established Member
So i finally broke down and bought a bunch of parts to build a motor for my 69 that wiped out a cam a few years back. So far i have purchased:

69 block .030 over
arp head studs
forged crank
forged h beam rods
forged flat top pistons w/ valve reliefs
solid roller cam around .600 lift/ 250 duration
victor intake
built 750 carb
billet distributor
worked pro comp aluminum heads with 60cc chambers ( i also have a set of world products heads 58cc)
mls head gaskets
1.6 roller rockers
girldes
double valve springs
deep sump pan w/ windage tray
shorty headers matched to the heads ( i know they're gonna rob power but im trying to work around the factory z bar for the 4 speed)

My question is is there anything major im missing before i start putting this thing together? Will stock mechanical fuel pump meet the engines fuel needs? Any estimates on power?

Your stock mechanical pump won't even come close to feeding that engine. You'll probably want to go to an electric pump. Also, you didn't mention it, but make sure your ignition system is up to snuff. And one last thing: I'm running hooker super comp longtubes in my 69 with the factory z-bar. I did this with both a 351C and with a 302. It may take a bit of massaging, but they do make longtubes designed specifically for 69 351W 4 speed cars.

And that sounds like it's going to be a badass car.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Yeah I'd go electric all the way if you wanna do it right. Sweet car though. Love those new seats in it!

classicguy

Established Member
So just my own curiosity. Did you go with the same size roller rockers that you originally had? Or did you go larger to take into account the tuning you might want to do with the large 750 carb?

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
You don't need to go to an electric fuel pump. I'm going to be running a high volume Holley mechanical pump on my 408 stroker, making 550/550, feeding a Quick Fuel 780cfm carb.

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
So just my own curiosity. Did you go with the same size roller rockers that you originally had? Or did you go larger to take into account the tuning you might want to do with the large 750 carb?

just running 1.6's for now. I hope it works out fine. Also running sbc 2.05/1.6 +.100 length valves in the car. This is my first high performance pushrod build though so if anyone sees anything im messing up on chime in. I do have a buddy helping me with the parts selection and build but extra input is always welcome

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
Your stock mechanical pump won't even come close to feeding that engine. You'll probably want to go to an electric pump. Also, you didn't mention it, but make sure your ignition system is up to snuff. And one last thing: I'm running hooker super comp longtubes in my 69 with the factory z-bar. I did this with both a 351C and with a 302. It may take a bit of massaging, but they do make longtubes designed specifically for 69 351W 4 speed cars.

And that sounds like it's going to be a badass car.

Thanks for the input. Im hoping to convert to a cable clutch sometime in the near future, so for now im gonna just try to run the shorties. I also have a toyota steering box im gonna try to run as long as i can get everything to work. It already has an all new suspension under the car as well with the oversize front and rear sway bars. Also took out the factory 9 inch for a 31 spline disc brake 8.8. Converted to front discs out of a granada as well. What do you suggest is the minimum as far as ignition system goes?

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
You don't need to go to an electric fuel pump. I'm going to be running a high volume Holley mechanical pump on my 408 stroker, making 550/550, feeding a Quick Fuel 780cfm carb.

Thanks, that is probably the way i will go. I think i have one of those over at my parents house laying around already.

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
its still on the engine stand, bottom end is together and timed, all i have left to do is stick on the heads and intake. The front end of the car is all torn apart right now, intalling the aje colt 65 front end kit on the car. Hoping to have the motor and car reunited in the next couple months

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
How is the AJE setup? I'm looking at buying the same thing in the next couple weeks.

haven't got mine in yet, but installed one on my fathers 69 a while back and seems pretty decent. Like anything else from aje the welds look like shit, but are plenty strong for the job at hand. I was pretty impressed with the kit as it came.

Users who are viewing this thread