Building a turbo cobra.. have q's

Droppintwins

Established Member
I'm sure ill be here often for quite a while now since i'm trying to get this project car to life. For now i need to know what transmission you recommend (auto) i was thinking either the 4r70w or a turbo 400. I would like to know of recommended builders too. I want the car to be reliable and put down around 1000hp to the tire. Also I need to know what you guys are using for motor mounts poly or solid? Keep in mind i have a teksid block so i dont know if solid is too stressful on the aluminum block.

Here is what I have so far:

Car:

99 Cobra Vert
10 point cage
Wolfe through the floor subframe connectors
coilovers and tubular k member in the front
adjustable everything in the rear with anti roll bar and solid built 8.8
manual brakes and steering

Engine:

Livernois 5.0 cobra stroker motor with teksid block
forged rods and turbo specific custom pistons 8.8:1
stage 3 ported livernois heads
custom ground turbos specific cams
ported sullivan intake
moroso aluminum pan
turbohorsepower.com twin turbo kit with 61mm ball bearing turbos

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

itSSlow98

Established Member
1000rwhp I wouldn't do anything other then a 4l80 or th400. 4l80 is expensive but it blows away the 4r70 on every way.

shhak

Established Member
I was making right at 800 thru a Lentech 4R70W for several months. Never had an issue. Sold it to a buddy and I don't think it lasted a month. A 4R may be ok at that power lever but realistically, I think it's on borrowed time. A TH400 is a much better choice. Especially if you don't plan to DD the car. I've got a glide in mine, but I've yet to crank it with the new setup so idk how I'm going to like it. We only run 1/8 mile here so that's why I went with the glide.

As for the motor/turbo setup.... There's a million ways to do it. I'm assuming you're running twin 67's? Get up with Jon (prostkr) on modfords (he's on here too, but I can't remember if the SN is the same) and he can tell you everything you need to know. He built my setup.

Here's a link to it: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/turbo-cobras-247/713513-hows-turbo-intake-3.html

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I personally love my 4R. Nothing beats that cruising gear when u want to drive far :beer:
But, what does your car run at the track. OR, how many passes have you made with your 4r. You have any time slips or videos of it running at the track to share with us?

I run a teksid with solid mounts and TH400 from below.
Mikes Transmission-400 transmissions
Most of the guys that really use their cars' hp "at" the track use a TH400.

Droppintwins

Established Member
I was making right at 800 thru a Lentech 4R70W for several months. Never had an issue. Sold it to a buddy and I don't think it lasted a month. A 4R may be ok at that power lever but realistically, I think it's on borrowed time. A TH400 is a much better choice. Especially if you don't plan to DD the car. I've got a glide in mine, but I've yet to crank it with the new setup so idk how I'm going to like it. We only run 1/8 mile here so that's why I went with the glide.

As for the motor/turbo setup.... There's a million ways to do it. I'm assuming you're running twin 67's? Get up with Jon (prostkr) on modfords (he's on here too, but I can't remember if the SN is the same) and he can tell you everything you need to know. He built my setup.

Here's a link to it: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/turbo-cobras-247/713513-hows-turbo-intake-3.html

I already have my motor/turbo setup. What I listed above is what I bought so far. Thanks for the referral tho ill hit him up!

itSSlow98

Established Member
Ok ill look into them both.I haven't really looked into 4l80's at all but i will. What shops seem to be the recommended builders?

Jakes performance or RPM transmissions are both top of the line. Not many have doen the 4l80 but it has been done you can speak with Jakes about it. The 4l80 is virtually a th400 with an overdrive gear. Just keep in mind it will not be cheap but i have yet to see any overdrive trans take the abuse the 4l80 has.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
But, what does your car run at the track. OR, how many passes have you made with your 4r. You have any time slips or videos of it running at the track to share with us?

I run a teksid with solid mounts and TH400 from below.
Mikes Transmission-400 transmissions
Most of the guys that really use their cars' hp "at" the track use a TH400.

For me to know and you to find out. Let's just say I've done plenty so far and I prefer to keep it secret. I don't want people where I live to know just yet.

OP it's really up to you, I wouldn't use a lentech 4R if you paid me to use it. There's only one guy I trust with autos and he was the first to build them 40+ years ago.

Last edited:

Droppintwins

Established Member
Jakes performance or RPM transmissions are both top of the line. Not many have doen the 4l80 but it has been done you can speak with Jakes about it. The 4l80 is virtually a th400 with an overdrive gear. Just keep in mind it will not be cheap but i have yet to see any overdrive trans take the abuse the 4l80 has.

Thanks!! Ill give them a call today. Sounda like I'm better off ditching the poly motor mounts too for solid ones.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

Overdrive is the strongest gear in my trans courtesy of Pats engineering at level 10. I don't know what he did but it was along the lines of duplicating reverse's toughness. I have been WOT in OD no problem.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I cant really speak for it north of my setup, but my 4r70w built by Darrin has been great. Cant say much for his support though, he can be difficult to get a hold of.

4L80e would be a logical choice for that kind of power because lets face it, its a 1ton truck transmission. They put them behind the 2500/3500 diesel trucks. But with strength comes weight, they are a heavy trans.

Good luck on the build!

Users who are viewing this thread