Building first home.. Question about floor plan option.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Personally I would do it. I never used or even wanted a bonus room before and do you need a closet their. It's like having a closet in your family room. What is the idea of the fin. Dormer? I would personally attach the fin dormer to the side of bed 2 and add more living space and maybe even a bar set up in that corner as well as extending the master closet. Lose space on one side but add to the othe side while taking surface area maybe some costs of construction too.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
HGTV? Oh yeah, the reality show network where 25 year old “first-time homebuyers” get all teary-eyed because they only have a budget of $600K+ for their entry level home when median homes across America in 2015 are ~$190K.

They are an excellent source to base ones expectations.:lol1:

I stand corrected.

I personally love it when they pass on a great home because one wall is painted a weird color.

btw the show is staged so not like it matters. Not to mention, nobody looks at only 3 homes and picks one.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
HGTV, specifically House Hunters, is 100% staged. I have proof. My wife and I applied for that show and were lucky enough to get an email + phone call. The conversations basically ended with, "we expect the candidates we select to be in the closing process, we will then help you and your designated agent to arrange additional showings"....

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Looking at your plans, the master closet is already almost 10x7.
My first house had bedrooms only slightly larger (10x10).

I think the closet is big enough!

On another note, I see you're using roof trusses. If I ever build my own house, I would NEVER use trusses. My first house had them; sucks. The entire attic was un-usable space.
MY new house was built in the late 80s but has full framed attic with roof rafters and it's almost 10' tall. I love the storage up there, and honestly could even build a man-cave upstairs if I wanted to.

Is it rafter roof over the bonus room?

You can have trusses designed for attic space.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I personally love it when they pass on a great home because one wall is painted a weird color.

btw the show is staged so not like it matters. Not to mention, nobody looks at only 3 homes and picks one.

Yes, the HGTV shows House Hunters and Island Hunters are 100% staged.
My brother is doing an upcoming episode for the HGTV show Island Hunters.
They are going to film three island locations, and then they will pretend to have selected the island they are already are living on.
They film the 3 months later footage first while you are still in your current place, and then they stage or remove your stuff for the scouting/selection part of the show.

Last edited:

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Several houses we have looked at that were great to me but my wife said the closet was too small. It was a deal breaker for her. It is like the garage is to me. Although at least with a garage you can build a seperate detatched one down the road if need be. I'd think that the closet size/wife formula factors in to a lot of home purchases. I can tell her to downsize her clothing stockpile and she could tell me to sell the mustang. Shrug.

OP out of curiosity who is the builder? We met with Blue Ridge Custom Homes a while back to try and build something on the Chesterfield/Powhatan line, but we have never been able to find a lot that will leave enough budget for the house we want.

We have looked at several older homes (1980s vintage) that have true walk up attics, and like the other poster mentioned, stick built without the roof trusses the attic space is HUGE. This will of course cost money over the truss style construction. One option I have mentioned to my wife is with the walk up attic we could always easily build a cedar lined walk in attic up there that would be easy enough to access and make up for a smaller closet in the master bedroom.

The builder is Main Street Homes and the development is in New Kent. 50 - 5 Acre lot's with 250 acres of common land. We've looked around the area a ton and for the 325-375k price range I wasn't able to find anything close.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
What do you plan on using the BR for? how long do you plan to live there?

As some have said, the odd look of the BR might be as much of a downside as anything.

I took the closet out of my bonus room for a completely rectangular Home Theater look.

We are planning on using it for more of a movie room. The problem with the closet in the bonus room is if we remove it from what I understand it can hurt our appraisal value moving from a 4br to 3br home. We moved that closet from the study/5th br downstairs up there. It's kinda a lot to think about when trying to decide on what is best.

TK Doom

Established Member
We are planning on using it for more of a movie room. The problem with the closet in the bonus room is if we remove it from what I understand it can hurt our appraisal value moving from a 4br to 3br home. We moved that closet from the study/5th br downstairs up there. It's kinda a lot to think about when trying to decide on what is best.

Ah...well, like others said, you already have a HUGE walkin closet, might want to just the leave the FP the way it is.

Since you are obviously looking for resale value. I'll be buried in my house, this was my last move. =)

Users who are viewing this thread