Built a bicycle rack for my Motorcycle

03'Darin

Established Member
A couple years ago I got the idea of building a bicycle rack for my motorcycle. I ride mountain bike at least once a week and when I do (at that time) I was driving 30 miles each way to ride. Well I figured through the summer it would be great if I could ride my motorcycle back and forth instead of driving my car or truck. So I built a rack that attached to the detachable luggage rack. This allowed me to release two clips and remove it from the motorcycle or take 6 nuts off and unclamp it from the rack. At that time I was riding a Santa Cruz Nomad that weighs about 10 pounds more than my current ride. So once I built the rack and did my test ride I wasn't comfortable with the handling and frame flex in the rear of the motorcycle I was getting. Now fast forward a few years, riding a 10 pound lighter bike and I recently bought a new Motorcycle that has a stiffer frame. During that time I also moved about 20 miles further away from my mountain biking area. So I adapted the rack to fit the detachable luggage rack on the new bike. I test rode this setup about 15 miles two weeks ago. With the bike sitting the way it is in the picture it catches more cross wind than I'm comfortable with causing the bike to "push" with cross wind. Since this picture I changed out the bike tray to a fork mount that I adapted to fit the rack. With the new rack I remove the front wheel which drops the center of gravity on the bike and cuts back a lot of the surface are that was catching the wind. I just finished it this morning and was cutting it close getting to work so I didn't have time to ride it or take pictures. I'm sure with the lower center of gravity it will work just fine though. Here's a picture of the first setup, I'll get more pictures once I mount the bike on the new tray. I also haven't made up the front tire carrier yet either.

FCF2C978-3D6C-4FBA-8CD2-B046FE048410_zpsdasoyd5g.jpg

Last edited:

Hank

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Future Darwin award winner? Mad props if you let somebody ride the bicycle while you drive the motorcycle. :D

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Pretty badass!!! I just bought the non-suspension version of that bike for my father-in-law!

03'Darin

Established Member
Future Darwin award winner? Mad props if you let somebody ride the bicycle while you drive the motorcycle. :D

It's actually going to be the first mountain bike simulator. :uh oh:

There is actually a company that builds bike racks for motorcycles now.

Nice fab work, that is a really cool idea.

I built the rack out of Thule cross bars and then used Plastidip to coat everything. I welded studs to the rack and use 2 pieces of steel stock to sandwich it to the detachable luggage rack. The plastidip keeps the rack from scuffing the chrome of the luggage rack. I'll take better pics when I'm done.

03'Darin

Established Member
Its safe at highway speeds?

I had the setup in the first picture up to 65 mph on a two lane road. Went through corners well and seemed to work pretty good. Only issue was when there were cross winds it would tend to push the bike a little. So I changed the tray for the bike to a fork mount style to lower the center of gravity and cut down the side profile of the bike so it shouldn't catch nearly as much wind. I just finished the new setup yesterday and haven't had time to go out and try this one.

I bet your get more looks on the road than someone driving a brand new Lambo.

I'm sure I will but didn't get that many looks on my first ride. Some people went by and didn't even look while others almost spun their head of truning to look.

Do a wheelie!

Funny thing is I can ride wheelies on my bicycle for ever but never really did wheelies on any of my motorcycles.

03'Darin

Established Member
Here are some pictures of the new setup. I just finished it so I haven't had chance to try it out yet. I'm sure with the center of gravity being lowered and the side profile being reduced it should handle even better plus not be affected by the cross wind like the other setup did.

15E0D5B3-BE93-4047-9805-1135FF39603D_zpsrniesf9c.jpg

85B5DAFA-3931-4D52-BA73-EE7921653129_zpsfrcr03sk.jpg

Bike tray attached to the rack I built and mounted to the detachable luggage rack.
AF838E7E-A387-4EAC-B629-C43C5D98CC13_zpsyzltlkzs.jpg

Another view
F17FFEE2-845E-4D0E-B888-6B74DC44C267_zps5ce10dd4.jpg

Better view of rack attached to the bike
8C826F07-E34E-4F06-A6BF-C98A541BFA14_zpsd3xjzm3e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread