built bottom end

lethalvenom

Established Member
i'm putting together a bottom end for my 96 cobra and while i'm in there and have it torn down is there anything i should replace just incase? time chain? water pump? oil pump? nothing is really wrong with these kinda parts but should i put brand new back in since the internals are gonna be new? or if its not broke don't fix it?

mystical

Established Member
I would replace the oil pump with a melling or get billet gears if it's going to be a high performance application. I would also replace the chains, too.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I did everything on mine...billet oil pump, arp mains/heads, billet crank wheel, full new OEM timing set, I/W dampener, 7 qt oil pan and MMR side bolt kit. It added about $2000 to the full build cost, but, I wanted to do it right the first time. It all depends on what your final goal is. I want to put 550+ rwhp thru mine, so, I did it all. Probably overkill...but, it would suck to have to pull the motor over a cracked oil pump rotor or a lost tooth on a trigger wheel

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I am in the middle of doing the samething and fight with myself everytime I look at it. One part of me says why replace a good part and the other says yea!!! but your there now and what if it breaks after a few K on the build how are you going to feel. I see it like this, any thing I replace is only insurance. If you feel ok with just liablity...good, If you want full coverage then replace it now.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
I have mine apart also, and am driving myself nuts over parts. In the end I think Im going to get all the stuff YELLOW98SVT has listed. I dont want to kick myself if I have problems down the road.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A stock 03/04 Cobra pump is all that is needed but Billet gears may offer you some piece of mind. Head and main studs are very much overkill on n/a and moderate boost FI engines (20psi or less). The stock trigger wheel is very reliable negating the need for a billet piece but like the billet oil pump gears it may give you some piece of mind.

No need for a new oil pan unless you plan on spinning it to the moon or going road racing.

I do recommend ARP cam bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread