Built Motor Idle issues ???

onebadf150

Established Member
I've been fighting this problem for a while now the symptoms are similar every time

truck at operating temp I put it in neutral and the rpms climb to 1000 to 1300rpms and stay there or sometimes the rpms bounce from 800 to 1100 and back and forth then the wide band goes 13.0 to 18.0 and then goes 18.0 to 24.0.

when I leave the truck in drive the rpms stay at 1000 to 1100 so I take off driving and the truck doesn't want to shift it holds first then holds second for a long time.

this situation always happens when I go over part throttle as soon as I come to a stop truck runs like crap.

I recently changed my thermostat to a 170 thinking it was hot and it correct these issues for the first 300miles but after that went back to the same bs.

does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this ???????

onebadf150

Established Member
what's your A/F look like? last time you changed your plugs? fuel filter? COPs? Oil in the PCV?

plugs - 6000miles

fuelfilter - 2 weeks old

cops- new ford less than a year

PCV - how do I check if there is oil in it ? I have a l&S oil seperator

I was looking at the predator for datalogging purposes and its 68 degrees outside and my iat1 was 78 and my iat2 was 140 is this normal. the truck was at operating temp and I never went over 2000rpms any thoughts ?

I have a jlp intercooler resivor , a afco dual pass H/E with fans, and lfp aluminium radiator. do you think I have a block intercooler?

Is there something I should datalog which would help diagnosing the issue ??

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
is your IC pump working those IAT2s seem quite high for cruising

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
Let your truck get up to operating temp and log your STFT for each bank, and coolant temp. Your closed loop temp threshold temp could be set to low and not letting it go into open loop.

onebadf150

Established Member
i don't know I hear the fans on my afco dual pass h/e working which I thought were tied into the intercooler pump so if they weren't on I'd expect a pump issue. I pull the cap off the cooler box when it running tommorow and put my hand on the pump to see if its working. when i'm driving normal the iat2 temps are 118's normal ?

Users who are viewing this thread