Bummed with Borla 14858 Quality - Tip Welding

sonicmach1

Established Member
I was interested in trying out new tips and my current Steeda thin walled ones are a bit scratched. So I bought two new muffler-back pipes and Borla's new chrome tipe (from the 14858 setup).

One looks fine while the other one is welded on tilted. It looks like the messed up the tip alignment then made up for it with a tilted hanger. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

Perfect Drivers-side
new_steeda_left_good.jpg

Tilted Passenger-side
steeda_right_bad.jpg

steeda_right_left.jpg

I emailed them to see what can be done, but these are not going on my car.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
that looks like crap, i would definitely fight to get a replacement. i've installed about 3 different sets of borlas on terminators in the past 18 months and none of them looked like that.

sonicmach1

Established Member
that looks like crap, i would definitely fight to get a replacement. i've installed about 3 different sets of borlas on terminators in the past 18 months and none of them looked like that.

Thanks for the feedback on Borlas. I sure thought it wouldn't come with such an obvious quality build error. We'll see how this gets handled.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Steeda talked with them and Borla over-nighted me a new rear exhaust set. That is great service from both parties.

Now all I have to to do is check them. I haven't opened the box yet.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Steeda talked with them and Borla over-nighted me a new rear exhaust set. That is great service from both parties.

Now all I have to to do is check them. I haven't opened the box yet.

great to hear, sonic :beer:

post up some pics once you get them on :rockon:

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
That just shows you even the highest quality companies let a bad product slip now and then. But it's all in how it is handled. Glad to hear Borla & Steeda were helpful, I would expect nothing less from these 2 companies.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Damn, that was a quick turnaround. :)

Do you have to pay for shipping sending the bad one back?
If they are, you should ask for them to send you a shipping label.

Whan Canon kept screwing up the repairs on my 1D-Mark III they would e-mail me a shipping label each time so I at least wouldnt have to pay for it to go back.

sonicmach1

Established Member

Do you have any pictures of the tips and specifically the hangers on these Borlas? The replacement set I got looks good, but they changed the hanger design and I cannot see how they will fit on the driver's side.

The original design had short hangers welded right to the tips (like my current Boral set).

The new design I got has 10" long hangers welded ahead of the tips. That hanger will not clear the purge canister just behind the driver side tire.

Here is my old set on the car. The new Borla has the hanger extended all the way to the front of this tip. It would obviously hit the black purge canister bracket.

NewBorlaHangers2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
Thanks! Yes, that is the design of the first version I received. Here is the design of my second set. There is no way this can work. Has anyone else seen this design?

New_borla_tip_6132011.jpg

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread