Bump Stocks Seem to be on the Chopping Block

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You really want to risk a 15 year prison stay to hide one in your closest for what?

They are not viable tools of war if you are worried about a SHTF-Red Dawn-Zombie Apocalypse-Civil War.
Lol, yeah I'm sure it's going to carry a 15 year sentence. At most they will be ruled to no longer legal to be made.

I am having a hard time believing those longer vollies came from an AR with a bump fire stock and those high cap mags as well. The way the rounds get stacked in those 60/100rd mags, just don't believe he'd be able fire long vollies without interruption, jam etc.
Jamming issues (which drums seem to always do) and the heat they generate. There's videos of them seizing/catching fire as well.

I'm kind of surprised at how many say outlaw them because it's stupid. A lot of the things we like are stupid (loud exhaust, fast cars for example). That can't be the new baseline for restricting things. Bump stocks were challenged and upheld during the Obama admin (twice), and the first time one has ever been used in a shooting.

If the ATF decides it is in fact illegal, so be it...however I think we need to be careful on legality of things being based on if we think it's stupid or not. How many times do we give an inch, and lose a mile. Just thinking out loud here.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
In all reality, they shouldn't be banned because all they are doing is maximizing your ability to manually pull the trigger that many times that fast. It's a simulation of automatic fire obviously. As much as I don't care for them they could be used for last resort purpose of suppression as you could get enough rounds off to accomplish the diddy "die mother****er die" which is pretty standard machine gun firing. It's just the cyclic rate that is unrealistic.

It just brings to question that if they can ban something that is allowing you to only pull a semi-auto trigger faster then how much further could they push that boundary? Me pulling the trigger as fast as I can won't match a bump fire stock, but will they later try to deem manual trigger pulling still too fast?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Lol, yeah I'm sure it's going to carry a 15 year sentence. At most they will be ruled to no longer legal to be made.

Jamming issues (which drums seem to always do) and the heat they generate. There's videos of them seizing/catching fire as well.

I'm kind of surprised at how many say outlaw them because it's stupid. A lot of the things we like are stupid (loud exhaust, fast cars for example). That can't be the new baseline for restricting things. Bump stocks were challenged and upheld during the Obama admin (twice), and the first time one has ever been used in a shooting.

If the ATF decides it is in fact illegal, so be it...however I think we need to be careful on legality of things being based on if we think it's stupid or not. How many times do we give an inch, and lose a mile. Just thinking out loud here.

Thats the problem, ban a piece of plastic...then a trigger, then scope, etc etc slippery slope!

NY already hs silly shit like that in place

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I am having a hard time believing those longer vollies came from an AR with a bump fire stock and those high cap mags as well. The way the rounds get stacked in those 60/100rd mags, just don't believe he'd be able fire long vollies without interruption, jam etc.

I'm all but convinced that it just isn't possible. The setup he used with the extended mags and bump fire is probably the most least desirable setup I can think of lol. I mean, there is a reason we have settled on 30rnd mags. I don't know the true reason but I would venture to guess beyond 30rnds reliability becomes sub-par and jams and double feeds become more common.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I was looking forever for actual rates of fire from all as the media is saying bump is just as fast as auto. It's not close.

Semi is 300rd/min
Bump is 450rd/min
Auto is 900rd/min

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm not a fan of banning anything. If the left and our spineless politicians want to make a dent in shooting deaths start in Chicago.

CV355

_
Established Member
Personally, I think they're stupid. If I go to a range and someone has one, I pack up and leave because the average bump-stock consumer muzzle-sweeps while chewin' tobacc'er is falling out of their mouth. Do I think they should be banned? No. I don't need the government to nanny us to death. People should have enough common sense to look at the horrible design and go "duh, hurr, this could hurt me if I dun be careful with it." Pulling the rifle forward to fire it is a horrible gimmick.

Why they have not replaced that backwards idea with a system pressure actuated piston behind the trigger is beyond me.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I read a report that several rifles on the floor were jammed. Sounds like he just tossed it on the floor and picked the next gun in line.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I would bet anything that aids trigger manipulation will be banned.

Bioburner

Established Member
Lot of cheap methods to raise mayhem with over 20000 people crowded into fenced cattle yard. The internet has unleashed easy access to them and dummied down for almost anyone to use.
We only have to look at Europe and see they just jump into a truck and run em down

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Bumpstocks are a novelty item. They don't provide 100% full automatic function. And they aren't a replacement for a properly designed, built, and functioning automatic. And automatics are illegal (for good reason) without proper licensing (as we all know).

The problem is the novelty item did aid in his ability to fire more rounds, quicker, and spray and pray. I'm for the ban considering it's pretty obvious it did have an effect on the outcome by providing a higher rate of fire. But what I don't think it will do is make prices go through the roof on them, because they suck. I never liked using one.

It's like setting a nitrous bottle in your passenger seat and running a hose out of the window to your intake and calling it "NOS". It's a band aid that is by no means a substitute for the real one. It has no place in the gun world.

Riptide

Established Member
The emotional reaction. The media hysterics. It's hard to ban anything in response to something that is such a rare event. If you look at the chances of being caught in one of these things. It isn't compelling. But maybe it is if you watch the constant news coverage and live in fear.

They are not something I desire to own.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a bad ass trigger setup! I bet that will be on the chopping block soon too.

I will be a little upset if they illegalize them and I have to dump mine. I just threw it in my SBR last night.

Salty pricetag...damn lol didn't expect 400+ for one lol

Funny story..I had pre-ordered mine, then after a few months I decided that I was going to go another route (Elftmann 3-Gun Trigger) so I canceled my pre-order. About 45 days later one showed up at m house. I called the company and explained what happened they told me that they would check in to it and get back with me. I waited 2 weeks, called back, they told me the same thing....so here I am, about 6 months later, with a free one.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Sig Sauer M400 enhanced. Never shot it yet. I should probably put some legal toys on it J-I-C.

Users who are viewing this thread