Bunch of NJ Tickets...

greenscobie86

Established Member
Hey All,

Need some advice on a stack of slips I got last night...

Here goes:

Speeding 30+ over the limit 5 pts (80mph in 50mph)
Careless Driving 2 pts
Racing on Highway 5 pts
Cracked windshield
Obstructed plate(A license plate frame :-/)

My first ever set of tickets ever, so I went out with a bang. All after being behind the wheel for 10 years.... And within the 3rd week of having 4.10's...

Luckily Im an NY resident so the points dont carry over, but I don't want my license suspended in NJ(I drive there every day) so I'm asking the forum what the best way to go is/strategy to possibly keep my license...

Would I be eligible for the one time 2 point reduction(since its my first offense) in order to bring the sum of points down? Any chance at a plea bargain?

I realize the basics(wear suit, be polite to the prosecutor etc...) and also that this being my first ever offense might work in my favor, but any help will be appreciated. A lawyer wants $850 to represent me with no guarantees so I think I might try to do this on my own, since it will be a crap-load of money already.

Thanks SVTP and before I put my flamesuit on, let me just say that the other dude was losing(and got the same tickets I was issued...)

Wow that cop nailed you pretty good chief. What part of NJ were you guys doing this? Rte 1 & 9? Turnpike? Parkway going towards the shore? You got flagged by a trooper or local pd?

Also $850 is a very good price to be represented for all these charges. Very unwise to handle this one by yourself. If it was a single citation, I'd say go for it, as you could end up with a pretty merciful prosecutor. But you better lawyer up for this.

DriRun

Established Member
As a LEO in NJ. I suggest obtaining a lawyer.. You could pull off the Unsafe Driving with no points if you only got hit with only the Careless, but not with the speeding or racing. What municipality were you in? There are too many factors and liabilites with trying to defend yourself. Even a bad lawyer could help you out more then you can usually help yourself.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Also $850 is a very good price to be represented for all these charges. Very unwise to handle this one by yourself. If it was a single citation, I'd say go for it, as you could end up with a pretty merciful prosecutor. But you better lawyer up for this.

This.

But I would speak to another attorney also. Cheap prices might mean cheap representation.

I would not go about this myself if I were in your shoes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hey All,

Need some advice on a stack of slips I got last night...

Here goes:

Speeding 30+ over the limit 5 pts (80mph in 50mph)
Careless Driving 2 pts
Racing on Highway 5 pts
Cracked windshield
Obstructed plate(A license plate frame :-/)

My first ever set of tickets ever, so I went out with a bang. All after being behind the wheel for 10 years.... And within the 3rd week of having 4.10's...

Luckily Im an NY resident so the points dont carry over, but I don't want my license suspended in NJ(I drive there every day) so I'm asking the forum what the best way to go is/strategy to possibly keep my license...

Would I be eligible for the one time 2 point reduction(since its my first offense) in order to bring the sum of points down? Any chance at a plea bargain?

I realize the basics(wear suit, be polite to the prosecutor etc...) and also that this being my first ever offense might work in my favor, but any help will be appreciated. A lawyer wants $850 to represent me with no guarantees so I think I might try to do this on my own, since it will be a crap-load of money already.

Thanks SVTP and before I put my flamesuit on, let me just say that the other dude was losing(and got the same tickets I was issued...)
shoulda thought about the highlighted portion before engaging in an idiotic street race.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate your advice.

The whole thing happened in East Rutherford by the 17/3 interchange.

Also, by municipality. What exactly do you mean? The issuing officer was a Local East Rutherford PD.

Does anyone have any attorneys they can recommend???

And RDJ, thanks for the lecture man, I know street racing is a bad thing...

ModularFan

Established Member
Wow, this cop bent you over, talk about taking it in the ass! Lawyer up son, its gonna be a bumpy ride.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Thanks RDJ, I don't really understand it either. I never explicitly stated I was avoiding taking responsibility. But once again, thanks for letting me know I messed up. (I already knew I did :) )

cohhbra

Established Member
and yet when you engage in it, you then look for ways to avoid taking responsibility. I dont' get it :shrug:
Of course you do, why would you take a brick to the face when you can step to the side and take it in the shoulder? You really don't seem to get that, kind of like why would you admit to something and get in trouble when all you have to do is say "nah wasn't me" and you walk free.

OP, you NEED a lawyer so you can hopefully just take your brick to the chin area

Last edited:

Thumpper

Established Member
and yet when you engage in it, you then look for ways to avoid taking responsibility. I dont' get it :shrug:

OJ seems to come to mind.

To OP on an open public forum be very cautious about what you divulge on here or anywhere as far as that goes. Oh and get a lawyer!

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate your advice.

The whole thing happened in East Rutherford by the 17/3 interchange.

Lol. I know the area. It's about 3-4 miles from my house. That area is flooded with local PD because a lot of racing goes on there. Plus, because of the football stadium, there is also State Troopers that patrol the area too. Not to mention the Bergen County Sheriffs department. Next time PM before racing in northern NJ...I'll give you a heads up.

Lol. I know the area. It's about 3-4 miles from my house. That area is flooded with local PD because a lot of racing goes on there. Plus, because of the football stadium, there is also State Troopers that patrol the area too. Not to mention the Bergen County Sheriffs department. Next time PM before racing in northern NJ...I'll give you a heads up.

Pizz get the kid a list of the "shift change" schedule. :beer:

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Lawyer up.... OUCH! He got you good. Not sure where you got that NY/NJ points don't carry over, they most certainly do.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Not sure where you got that NY/NJ points don't carry over, they most certainly do.
Drivers Licence Compact. Out of state points do not go on a New York drivers record unless they are from Quebec or Ontario.

Points have nothing to do with insurance rates. Insurance companies have their own policies. So while your New York license will not be suspended for having 11+ points, if your insurance carrier finds out, you will be forking over more $$ for coverage.

BTW: A New Jersey driver who gets an out of state ticket will get points on their licence, but I think it is two points regardless of the violation.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
so I'm asking the forum what the best way to go is/strategy to possibly keep my license...

Simple, find the best attorney in the area where the charges occured and pony up whatever fees they require to retain their services. At this point, a good lawyer is your only hope.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone! Much appreciated. I'm going to postpone the first court date and get a lawyer as suggested. Will definitely keep everyone informed as to what happens.

@ thepizz: If you have a few buds out there perhaps I can give you the Officers name via PM and see if he's a friend of yours? Long sho,t but if there are miracles maybe you can put in a good word for a fellow SVTP'er. :D

greenscobie86

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone! Much appreciated. I'm going to postpone the first court date and get a lawyer as suggested. Will definitely keep everyone informed as to what happens.

@ thepizz: If you have a few buds out there perhaps I can give you the Officers name via PM and see if he's a friend of yours? Long sho,t but if there are miracles maybe you can put in a good word for a fellow SVTP'er. :D

Users who are viewing this thread