burning a quart of oil per 1k miles is normal

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
well that is what this cat on mustangforums is saying... 4.6 oil consumption - MustangForums.com Guy posted a thread stating his car used 3 quarts between oil changes. I and everone else said its not normal. Because it isnt. But then some cat comes in claiming to be a "ford tech" and saying that a quart of oil used per every 1000 miles is normal. :nonono: I mean really thats half the pan gone! Wtf

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
How do cats post on message boards? :nonono:

computer-cat.jpg

computer-cat.jpg

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
my cobra burns about 1/2 a quart every 3K and im losing a piston ring on cylinder #8.

This guy sounds full of it

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Jeez, I was gonna say if this was your car....

"Maybe it's from all that racing you puss out of, I hear it's hard on engines"

bullitt5177

I Eat Rice
Established Member
Genius right there...
This is true though. All engines burn oil by design. There's no way they couldn't. It really shouldn't be noticeable though, that's the difference. And yeah, Ford does say 1 quart every 1,000 miles. But bear in mind, they're probably saying that much won't damage the engine or is acceptable for emissions.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Sounds like me and the mad scientist are going to have to rip apart the engine and replace the piston rings he fried....

Seriously though, that one guy is full of it. No normal engine should use that much oil. He's got pretty solid problems to be burning through that much.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
1 qt per 1k miles is the standard for Ford.

My loosely clearanced forged shortblock goes through a quart in about 1700 miles

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Depends on the motor. If I beat on my X5 for 2k miles, it'll burn a quart. It's just how that engine was designed. If I'm easy on it, I might burn a quart in 4k miles. However, a 4.6 burning that much oil definitely has something wrong. He needs to go beat the piss out of it until it blows up, then get it fixed under warranty.

Edit: It's a 2000. He's screwed.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
My actual recommendations would be to check the plugs, and see if any cylinders are shot.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
How do cats post on message boards? :nonono:

I was thinking the same thing. It is difficult without opposable thumbs. :shrug:

I think it is quite interesting that the cat can access the internet even though it posted inaccurate information.

Kudos, Mr. Cat. :beer:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ya, basically when a car comes into the dealership for oil consumption we have to tell them it's "normal" for a car to burn X amount of oil in X time. I don't work for Ford though. Usually all manufactors have a ridiculously high rate of oil consumption that can be considered "normal". It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

I'd say he has problems though.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
on shitty oil my car will eat about 2 quarts per oil change on heavy driving.

On good oil its minimal

Users who are viewing this thread