Burning Alot of Oil

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Bought the truck in August with 110,000 miles. About 2 months ago I noticed on some start ups it would blow smoke out the exhaust, so I need new valve guide seals. I just checked the oil today and I barely got a reading on the stick, truck is not even due for an oil change yet. It is not leaking out from anywhere. Do these trucks usually burn a lot of oil?

uncooked

Established Member
No, I wouldn't say they are known for using oil.

If I was you I would be looking into doing the Intercooler cleaning and a Oil separator mod. Go with a separator like the L&S and it will actually return the oil back into the filler cap.

You will be shocked at how nasty everything is inside the TB, Plenum, Intercooler If you haven't been running around with a separator.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...9316-intercooler-plugs-pulley-maf-no-56k.html

Not a hard thing to do, just takes a little wrench skill and some time :beer:

L&S Performance

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Oil separators won't stop oil burning due to worn valve guides or rings.
Considering the high mileage on your truck, check those first before wasting money on "trick" accesories.

Last edited:

uncooked

Established Member
I'm not saying that, sometimes there is so much build up on the inter cooler as well as the entire intake track you may see that symptom.

All I'm saying is its worth a shot, Cheap easy project for a weekend which may help out. I have seen some pretty dam nasty Intercoolers with much less than 110 K miles on them.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I'm not saying that, sometimes there is so much build up on the inter cooler as well as the entire intake track you may see that symptom.

All I'm saying is its worth a shot, Cheap easy project for a weekend which may help out. I have seen some pretty dam nasty Intercoolers with much less than 110 K miles on them.
If he has a bad PCV valve, that might cause excessive oil burning. Otherwise, I doubt it will help much.
If he has bad valve guides, the oil gets sucked into combustion chambers directly through them. Way before the intercooler.
My truck has no oil separator and doesn't burn an ounce of oil. But of course I don't have 110k mile on it either.

Last edited:

uncooked

Established Member
I first put one of these on it

IMG_0805.jpg

If you have ever had one of these where you have to physically drain it you would be shocked at how much oil can be sucked up. These crappy hardware store ones probably only grab 50% as well.

After 3 weeks I decided It would be worth getting the maintenance free L&S unit after reading so much good feedback about it.

If you drive the truck hard it is definitely worth while since most of the oil is blown by and sucked up under boost.

I have seen pics of members on here doing cleaning and literally have oil running out of the intake elbow and TB when the remove it :xpl:

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Oil separators won't stop oil burning due to worn valve guides or rings.
Considering the high mileage on your truck, check those first before wasting money on "trick" accesories.

I definitely agree with you on this, the guides must be the main culprit. But I do need to get a separator and I dont think the IC has even been cleaned as well, the truck still pulls to 10 lbs ever time, if that means anything.

The odd thing is that sometimes I will get a big puff of smoke on initial startup, but then other times, it wont smoke at all?

Do any of you know how difficult it is to pull the heads on this truck? Do you have to pull the motor? I have done a valve guide job before but it was on a old Jeep where everything was much more accessible

Robert Francis

Established Member
Most guys don't seem to report any excessive "oil burning," however, there also aren't that many that have over 100k on them. An "initial" puff of smoke on startup every 3-4 startups is often indicative of oil in the intake and an "oil seperator" may help out as oil vapors often end up and accumulate in the big rubber intake tube, even on new Lightning. However, bad valve guides also could be the cause as oil vapors get by them and may find their way into the intake tract too.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I first put one of these on it

IMG_0805.jpg

Wouldn't a lot of oil still get into the plenum through the tee in the vacuum line? I see you still have it connected.
With the L&S setup, you have to disconnect the tee and plug the line going down to the lower plenum.

04SVT-L

Established Member
you need and oil catch can that u put in ur pcv line. under boost these motors creat pressure in the crankcase due to boost and esp after 100k and suction in the intake. your pcv vents your block and then goes into your intake. did u ever notice after beating it for awhile and then you come to a stop ur truck seems like its running a little rough? its bc its fouled up with oil. i sucked 3 qts thru mine before i completely blew my motor up and disinegrated 3 pistons :thumbsup:

paulb

Established Member
my truck did that for about 6 months on start ups. its sometimes caused by leftover fuel in the cylinders. that or the rings on the pistons are worn. it depends on the color of the smoke...

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
well how hard is it to replace the PCV valve, does installing a oil separator eliminate it? I pulled off the elbow connecting to the TB and there is a lot of oil sitting right where the butterfly valves open and close

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I'd start with replacing the PCV valve in the passengers valve cover first. No sense jumping to Step 15 without trying Step 1 first. Our engines are known to have cracked valve seals on higher mileage engines. They allow oil to leak down past the valve and puddle up on top of the valve or in the bottom of the cylinder if the intake valve is opened. On first start up it will smoke for a second and then go away.

It can also get into the induction system through the intake, but the PCV system would have to be in really bad shape to suck that much oil up through the TB. The oil would also puddle in the lower intake instead of on top of the valves like you would get with bad seals or guides, so you wouldn't get that first fire up smoke that you would experience with bad seals/guides.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
ok, so with that being said, all of that build up in the intake system, ie the elbow and TB, is Not most likely from the PCV? Is the PCV an easy thing to replace?

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
It can be caused by the PCV valve. It takes 10 seconds to replace.

The next thing that I would do would be a cylinder leak down test to see where the leak is actually coming from. That however, is very expensive and until you know that your PCV system is working correctly there is no sense in going there.

If your elbow has that much oil in it, I would have to agree with the others that you should remove the intercooler and clean it out. In the worst case it's good maintence and you know its done.

450rider04

Established Member
I have also had the same problem with my oil collecting in my intake when under boost. If someone could elaborate to me about the intercooler cleaning (like what to clean it with I am assuming carb cleaner) and about how often should you get it done, if there is a maintanance schedule and what gaskets will I need to do the job. I am guessing that the oil is drawn into the intake and it just collects on the intercooler causing blocked fins. I just usually don't even get into boost when driving my L and especially because of the oil. I don't have an oil seperator and if someone could tell me where to get the L&S seperator I would appreciate it. One last thing is what oil would you recommend for my S/C, it's the stock eaton. Thanks alot

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
here u go man, i know it sucks we cant search for anything....

we don't need any new gaskets, just re-use the original ones, as long as they are not damaged

i am going to be buying one of these soon

L&S Automotive:
L&S Automotive

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
pcv valve first oil sep second (only to solve the oil in the elbow issue) but im gonna go with eric and the valve seals possibly going bad

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
does anyone know the part number of the PCV valve for the L

PCV valves you can get at the parts department at your local dealer. I recommend getting the Ford one since it is plastic. If you buy one at Autozone or something it will more than likely be metal and they make a ton of noise.

I have also had the same problem with my oil collecting in my intake when under boost. If someone could elaborate to me about the intercooler cleaning (like what to clean it with I am assuming carb cleaner) and about how often should you get it done, if there is a maintanance schedule and what gaskets will I need to do the job. I am guessing that the oil is drawn into the intake and it just collects on the intercooler causing blocked fins. I just usually don't even get into boost when driving my L and especially because of the oil. I don't have an oil seperator and if someone could tell me where to get the L&S seperator I would appreciate it. One last thing is what oil would you recommend for my S/C, it's the stock eaton. Thanks alot

You really don't need to change the oil inside the S/C unless you have high mileage. Ford has Supercharger oil for it or you can use the GM S/C stuff also.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-187/228586-how-remove-reinstall-gen-2-intercooler.html

You only need to go to Step 19. Do not remove the intercooler from the midplate. Just leave it attached and clean it with a ton of brake clean/oven cleaner/spray nine BLAH BLAH BLAH. Wash it off to flush the oil through and let it dry. All you will need is coolant for the intercooler and whatever you use to clean the intercooler itself.

Users who are viewing this thread