Burping coolant, not air.

eiblish

Established Member
My 2003 vert (30M miles) spewed a quart or so of coolant and some steam as I turned off the ignition in my garage yesterday. The radiator cap was the only likely looking source so I replaced it with a new one today. When I refill with coolant mix and try to burp the engine (front elevated), it steadily pumps out coolant from the burp hole. Switch off and the coolant disappears from the burp hole - start up and it steadily pumps out again (15 minutes and no change). Coolant level does not seem to change in the overflow tank.

Upper and lower radiator hoses both get hot, heat flows from the vents, temperature gauge stays normal.

Should I let the burping run until the flow stops? Would welcome any advice. Thanks

eiblish

Established Member
Below is a post from this site which clearly recommends the engine running while burping?

"Add coolant where you remove the 1/4" plug and continue to add coolant until the coolant rises to the top of the resevoir container, then put cap on the resevoir container. Start engine up, turn heat on full blast. Continue to add coolant at the coolant crossover tube location (1/4" plug) and once it is almost to the top of that location, slightly rev the engine by manipulating the throttle body with your hand. You'll see some air bubbles rise to the top. It may help to place a rag or two near the end, but it's not really necessary as the coolant crossover tube location is the highest point in the cooling system. Seeing the air bubbles rise to the top and "gurgle" out is the procedure that everyone refers to as "burping."Shut engine off, allow it to cool. Check coolant level at the resevoir (should stilll remain full) and if need be, add a little more coolant at the coolant crossover tube".

eiblish

Established Member
Thanks P49Y-CY, I found the Reische post and it may solve my problem. It does, however, entail running the engine while burping but using a funnel to contain the coolant exiting the burp-hole.:coolman:

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks P49Y-CY, I found the Reisch post and it may solve my problem. It does, however, entail running the engine while burping but using a funnel to contain the coolant exiting the burp-hole.:coolman:

That`s how I do mine.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
oops right on, never really saw that. i know some guys do that, but i know that the water pump will send coolant shooting out of the hole, that is why i never did it that way, and it has still burped ok. best of luck with it!

Stalker27

Established Member
I use the funnel & turn heat on full blast as well.

OP since your messing with the fluids this would be a good time to get Reische Tstat in there & start the burp procedure fresh

Users who are viewing this thread