Busted PVC valve ?

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Hey guys,
Was at autozone last night and decided to pick up a Purolator PVC valve to replace the current one on my 98 Cobra.

When I pulled off the old one there was oil inside it (and the line)
and the actual "valve" inside it would just move back and forth freely...unlike the new one that was spring-loaded and had to be pushed in with my finger before it would open. Was the old one broken?

My car has 60,000 miles on it and it looked like it was probably the original PCV valve, and after I started thinking about it, my car does seem to "burn" a little oil that i can smell from my side exhaust...also my tailpipes are coal-black inside.

Haven't test drove the car yet, gonna do that today.

Anyone wanna edu-ma-cate me on PVC valves?
:read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

blk96SVT

Established Member
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV). I doubt your old one was broken, they are supposed to move freely. Its hard to tell when they are bad, I change mine about every 6-9000 miles just to be safe. Plus they only cost a couple of bucks and it only takes like 2 seconds to replace it!

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV). I doubt your old one was broken, they are supposed to move freely.

Hmmm, the purolator (...chevy, it figures!) replacement doesn't move freely, it's spring loaded and takes a little finger-pressure to open.

Wonder whats up with that? I guess I'll find out if it works when I test drive today....

Users who are viewing this thread