Busy Saturday - Hood Blanket Mod

03blackvert

Established Member
Well, my replacement hood blanket came in today. No, not to replace anything, but to go into storage in case I ever want to put it back to "stock". Call me anal. :rolling:

Anyway, I couldn't find any good pictures in the archive of the process, so below are a few I took today. I need to get the edging to go around them -- if anyone in Northern Virginia has extra I could stop by an pick up tomorrow send me a pm. :) Anyway, I think they are self explanitory, with the only possibly odd thing being that after opening the little doors I just tucked them back up under the blanket, rather than cutting them off.

Looking down through them with the hood closed I'd be a bit concerend about doing this if the car saw regular water. Mine being a sunny day convertable doesn't have that problem. :thumbsup:

PDR_0057.JPG

PDR_0058.JPG

PDR_0059.JPG

PDR_0060.JPG

PDR_0061.JPG

PDR_0062.JPG

PDR_0063.JPG

SVT4ME

Established Member
Living in las vegas I may end up doing that as well. Am waiting to see what happens once summer hits. Were in the 90's this week and she doesnt seem to run hot

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I ran mine through my buddy's car wash [price is right] for the under carriage wash and could see the heat escaping as it was made visible by the car wash mist. There was a lot of it . I have removed my blankie but have not bent the flaps out of the way.

And before I get the using a car wash flames, it was a water pressure only car wash. No brushes.

03blackvert

Established Member
Someone in an old thread taped a temperature probe to the outside of the vent and drove around doing a test. The results were interesting. I can't find the thread with a search right now.

I have no doubt that the open vents let out a lot of hot air. I do have some doubts that it makes any difference though. Since my car only sees sunny days and hand washes seemed better to have it open though. :shrug:

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I bought a spare hood blanket too. Sitting at home in the box. The biotch with the trim is getting it to go into the sharp corners.

I've got some spare trim. I bought that Flex Trim (?) 1/4", I think, from the boat store. 25' of it! That was the smallest roll. But I'm in Florida. Virginia at the moment for work. I'll be redoing my hood blanket mod when I get home. Cut it open a bit more and re-trim it.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackvert
Someone in an old thread taped a temperature probe to the outside of the vent and drove around doing a test. The results were interesting. I can't find the thread with a search right now.

I have no doubt that the open vents let out a lot of hot air. I do have some doubts that it makes any difference though. Since my car only sees sunny days and hand washes seemed better to have it open though. :shrug:
That was probably postban. He pretty much was the first to post on the hood blanket mod. At least as far as I remember.

donpablo

Established Member
03blackvert, please keep me in the loop in this. i don't have any flextrim, but need to do the mod. would be willing to go in on some with you if you get your hands on some or need to by 25 feet. i'm back from deployment on june 26th.

hey if you have extra, take it to the Fun Ford Weekend at Richmond on June 27th. I'm sure you can unload it there.

DonPablo
in Kosovo
from Dumfries, VA

Users who are viewing this thread