Buy a Lightning or Cobra?

kelsey

As the title says,what do you guys think? I previously owned a Cobra, but don't really like a manual trans. If you mod the Lightning w/pulley intake etc.,do they seem fast enough? I know they are pretty heavy,~4200 or so. Thanks!

fullboogie

Established Member
With the driver and a 1/4 tank, try close to 5000 lbs. Love the lightning, but those Cobras are really fast with a few mods. Tough choice.

boca ron

Banned
What qualifies "FAST" ? MPH or ET ? Ive witnessed plenty of Ls modded beat modded cobras and viceversa. If its top speed your looking for it's a no-brainer. If it's exclusivity, and a badass truck you dont see on every corner like you do some (cough) cars. I don't know man, bang-for-buck it's really hard, to "one-up" a Lightning. I mean really, think about it, to me a Lightning is way more classy and respected by most than a mustang I meen Cobra. Its really gonna suck if you buy that Cobra thinking its fast and get spanked by a DIME Lightning and there out there trust me,just not on every corner.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
If you want to go real fast for a little bit of money...Get a Cobra. I was running 12.5's @117 with just intake and exhaust with mine. Throw a port, pulley and a tune in the mix...Hello 11's. I got rid of mine cause I wanted a truck to haul my bike....I really miss it.
Ofcourse like any car, the Cobras have their problems too. The #1 problem with them is "THE TICK" Some early run or even 2nd run 03's and 04 Cobras get this. What it is is cylinder head tick caused by valve guide wear which is caused by overheating. In most cases it is the driver's side head that develops this problem due to the fact that it has insufficent coolant flow. There is a mod that can cure this, but you have to pull the trans to perform it. Go to the Terminater section and run a search for "Tick" You'll find a mountain of info on it.
:beer:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
VETTEHUNTER said:
If you want to go real fast for a little bit of money...Get a Cobra. I was running 12.5's @117 with just intake and exhaust with mine. Throw a port, pulley and a tune in the mix...Hello 11's. I got rid of mine cause I wanted a truck to haul my bike....I really miss it.
Ofcourse like any car, the Cobras have their problems too. The #1 problem with them is "THE TICK" Some early run or even 2nd run 03's and 04 Cobras get this. What it is is cylinder head tick caused by valve guide wear which is caused by overheating. In most cases it is the driver's side head that develops this problem due to the fact that it has insufficent coolant flow. There is a mod that can cure this, but you have to pull the trans to perform it. Go to the Terminater section and run a search for "Tick" You'll find a mountain of info on it.
:beer:
Oh goodness, here we go again with the nonsense tick.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
03silversvt said:
Oh goodness, here we go again with the nonsense tick.
Ask the hundreds of 03-04 Cobra owners that have or have had the tick if they thought it was nonsense. :bored:
Maybe you don't car if your car sounds like a sewing machine at idle, but I sure did.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
VETTEHUNTER said:
Ask the hundreds of 03-04 Cobra owners that have or have had the tick if they thought it was nonsense. :bored:
Maybe you don't car if your car sounds like a sewing machine at idle, but I sure did.
Sorry for my cocky attitude man. Sometimes I come off that way unintentionally. I just see a lot of people just assume that all 03/04 cobras are f...ed up from birth. No bad blood man :beer:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
03silversvt said:
Sorry for my cocky attitude man. Sometimes I come off that way unintentionally. I just see a lot of people just assume that all 03/04 cobras are f...ed up from birth. No bad blood man :beer:
Oh I understand what you mean. No harm done :beer: I bought my car with 7K on it. I had it for 2 months (Stock Boost) 2K later....TICK...TICK...TICK. The dealer swaped the head, and it was good from there, but man o man did that sound piss me off. It was embarasssing. You are right though, the first thing a hater will come at you with is the TICK, when refering to the 03-04 Cobra. That used to piss me off too.
My main concern here is to inform people about this problem so they listen very carefully to the car before they make a purchase and have to battle the dealer to have the head swaped out. My car was in warranty and I still had issues getting the head replaced. I had to eventually get SVT to put in a word to the service manager.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread