BUY/sell Domain Names

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Been looking into this for of business every so often.

Cliff notes: If you want to start a web site, you create your own site name "www.svtperformance.com" and its registered with a company that deals with domains. If its already taken, you must buy it from the current owner.

For example, I went onto godaddy.com, and found out that svtperformance is already taken (we all know this) and its registered through godaddy.com LLC.

If someone else wanted this website name, they would have to contact godaddy.com or the owner of this site to see if its even offered for sale.

My point is: there is money to be made buy starting a website domain before someone else creates it.

Does anyone do this or have insight on this subject?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I know a guy that got lucky doing this, I can't remember the site name, but it was automotive related, and had to do with a car that had just came out, it was a cool car, and he thought of a cool name. Ended up selling the domain name for a good chunk of change.

mysterio

Established Member
I know a guy that got lucky doing this, I can't remember the site name, but it was automotive related, and had to do with a car that had just came out, it was a cool car, and he thought of a cool name. Ended up selling the domain name for a good chunk of change.

This used to be bigger news in the 90's and last decade, when people would register domain names like Coke.com, and not be connected with the company, but would rather just hold the site name for the hopes of a big payoff.

There are domain brokers out there who do this for a living. When I was creating a domain/website name for my small business, I stumbled on these vultures who wanted a ridiculous amount for a domain. All I did was keep brainstorming on domains until I found one that was available.

One domain broker told me about the domain name he represented, "my client is looking for a six figure fee, but a $50,000 offer will get the conversation started." I felt like replying to his email and saying "And F you will get the conversation ended," but I just ignored him and moved on.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's as lucrative to 'hold hostage' a domain name for selling purposes as it once might have been.

Monster Mach

Established Member
i used to do this exact thing.. its a real hit and miss thing now.. you kinda have to own the domain before something big comes out.. tbh most of the domains i sold were for sites that were fully established and the alexa rank was very high.. t-warez.com sold for 3500 just because it was a forum that had people on it..

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Appreciate the input guys, sounds like there is opportunity, but there is typical risk/reward with it. From what I am seeing, you can start a domain name for 20-100$ per year, which to me is CHEAP. I would hold it for a few years, in hope of someone buying it, make quite a bit of return. I agree though, the domain brokers are reducing the spreads in the game.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
the domain brokers are reducing the spreads in the game.

Not to mention just about every company or organization already has a web presence. 10 or 15 years ago this was lucrative, much less so now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but if it were me, I think I'd be looking at other investments.

Users who are viewing this thread