Buy used FR500's or ger New Ford CNC'd heads

DTB

Established Member
got a delimma fellas. i want to get a nice set of the newer 4v heads but im torn on what route to take. I can get a set of used FR500's for roughly 1150 after shipping but i would likely have to pay to have them checked and purchase new valves, springs, retainers to be safe. Or i can just get a new set of the assembled CNC'd 4v heads from ford for roughly 2700 after a price break i can get.

So do you fellas think its more cost effective and better for my piece of mind to just go with the heads from ford since they may end up flowing better and costing the same after all the work is done to the used FR500's?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Have your existing heads ported. They'll flow better than the CNC heads and you'll have enough left over for some hot cams and springs.

Todd

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It all depends on your combination. Is it n/a or FI?

Also, there are some very good flowing CNC and "hand ported" heads but there are also some CNC and "hand ported" heads that aren't so good. Just make sure you do some research before selecting a head porter.

DTB

Established Member
it will be an n/a setup. 5.0 bottom end, fr500 intake, custom cams, ported 04 heads, rougly 11:1 comp for 91 octane. I just wasn't sure what to do with the heads. after realizing I will probably need better springs and valves tan the cnc'd heads come with it looks like id be better off gettng the 04 heads ported and assembled well

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
if you already have the 04 heads, I'd stick with those and port them. You'll spend more just buying new heads than you would getting a good port job on your 04 heads. If you don't have anything, buy the used FR500's. It's a great price for them. Maybe it'll drive down the price of used 03-04 heads :)

Nazman

Established Member
^^

Wow. Sorry but those are some expensive heads, at least for some used -non ported - heads!!

To the OP. PM me for some 03-Up ported heads. I could do bronce VG, Hi-Lift Springs, Under Cut Valves, VJ and if you would like milling for increased CR as well.

Naz

DTB

Established Member
PM sent.............. And i appreciate all the advice fellas. its my first time having a motor built, and with it being a modular i know theres a lot of room for error and those errors are expensive

Users who are viewing this thread