Buying a gun, looking for opinions

Fran

Established Member
Anyone use an XD45 by Springfield? Not sure if I want that or the Taurus PT1911. Thanks for any input you might have.

grendel

Established Member
i have an xd 40 and i love the way it feels in my hand. but you might be better off trying to shoot both guns before purchasing.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
im not really a fan of the 45, or 40S&W, 45 is big and slow, and 40 is a little better, but has a little bit more violent recoil.

i have a XD9 though, and love the thing. shoots great, fast follow up shots. i can pretty much rapid fire and stay on a 2 foot target at 20 yards. and with the right load 9mm is just as lethal as 40 or 45, and its alot cheaper and more fun to shoot too.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
im not really a fan of the 45, or 40S&W, 45 is big and slow, and 40 is a little better, but has a little bit more violent recoil.

i have a XD9 though, and love the thing. shoots great, fast follow up shots. i can pretty much rapid fire and stay on a 2 foot target at 20 yards. and with the right load 9mm is just as lethal as 40 or 45, and its alot cheaper and more fun to shoot too.

The 9mm is just as lethal as a .45, .40SW, 10mm, .500SW not becuase of the round, but because of shot placement. I don't know of anyone that wants to be shot with any of the above mentioned rounds.

It all depends on what the gun is purchased for. If you want something to put holes in paper, get a 9mm, If you want something to put holes in paper, and a person trying to kill you... go with a .40SW. The .40 is just as affordable to shoot as a 9mm.

A .40 is a perfect mix between the penetration of a 9mm, which can be too much, and the .45ACP's stopping power. There is a reason that almost all law enforcement agencies are upgrading to it.(unless they're keeping .45's)

As far as gun goes, it all depends. I personally don't like the XD's, but there are others that sware by them. I would say got and shoot the XD, the taurus, and then a Glock. Buy the one you like the most.

Fran

Established Member
What are you going to use it for? CC, home defense, target....????

Sorry I should have provided more info. Probably all of the above. I think the CC part might be tough with a 45 of that size. I always had a bias to the 45 from my military days, never liked the 9mm much, but that might be just my experience with the Beretta.

dogmush

Established Member
I have a 4" XD45, and CC it with no problems. It's a good gun. Very similar to a glock, but better ergonomics, and better trigger. However, about 8 mos ago I religated it to my car gun and switched to a 1911 platform. My 5" 1911 conceals better, shoots better and is all around a better handgun (IMO) then the XD. It is however more complicated to use. It gives up a little mag capacity to the XD as well.

If you're going to devote the training time to a handgun to master a manual safety in a SA gun the 1911 is the way to go. It's a better combat design. If however, you're going to shoot once every month or so, and want an easy to use accurate reliable pistol with a Point and Shoot interface, the XD is one of the better ones out there. That's my impression from owning both.

And FWIW, if you go with a 1911, don't get the Taurus.

Oh, and :wf:

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
i have shot my friends xd45 and that gun was alot of fun.. pretty violent kickback but was a ton of fun to shoot. i liked the way it felt in my hand over a glock.. im gonna be getting my first gun soon, probably gonna get the XD9 for my first..

jshen

Established Member
Still not quite sure what you're looking for...but I carry a Glock 29, 10mm which is plenty of handgun yet compact. However, I also carry a backup..a Kahr PM40...do a google search..It is truly a "pocket" size gun with very little recoil...I just got through re-qualifiying with both and even the range master was surprised at the accuracy and ease of shooting with both these handguns..

I recommend going somewhere you can try each handgun and then buy the one that appeals to you.

shamrock216

Established Member
Concealed carried my Glock Model 27 (.40) for the last 3 years. Just got a Kimber CDP 3" to replace it and I love it. I love the 1911 and its what I carry at work (Wilson Combat CQB) so I have plenty of extra mags and bullets.... I need to take a photo....

There was nothing wrong with the Glock and I would highly recommend one of their guns just for the price and durability.

Fran

Established Member
I was afraid it might be the wrong forum, but I figured I would get many good responses from people with many years of experience with many different types of handguns. I do thank everyone for their input. It means alot coming from people "in the know"

Pearbear

180 Lbs of Sad
Established Member
I CC my glock 23 .40 all the time, and love it. I've also shot my buddies XD .40 a lot and love the way it fits my hand. It also has a grip safety, so it may make you a little more comfortable with carrying it.

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
I personally love the stopping power of a .45 ACP. I have a Sig Sauer P220 .45 and i love it. Whats your budget? if you want a 1911 .45 and you got some $... go with NightHawk, Les Bear, Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat. but your gonna spend 2-3K. If you want something for about a grand get a Kimber. No Taurus, and if your thinking about gettin a XD, then trust me and just get a Glock.

bandit_48032

Established Member
I currently shoot a Glock 23 40. cal.

I absolutely love my Glock, but If I had to make the choice over again, I would of gone with a Sig Sauer P226. We had qualifications the other day, and my groupings were a lot tighter shooting the Sig for the first time, compared to my Glock with I've shot a bunch.

I hear the XD's a great gun and pretty popular right now. I would stay clear of the Taurus for sure though. I've heard nothing byt bad things about their semi-auto hand guns. If you're gonna get a Taurus, better make sure it's a revolver! But even if thats the case, there are much better options out there!

Best of luck!

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Good God! How did I forget about the best CCW / Home Defense gun on the market. if you want something that is concealable, fun to shoot on the weekends, and great for home defense, you need to get a serbu super shorty!

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

super_shorty_870.jpg

roach4047

Established Member
LAWFFICER Pertaining to your post...."The .40 is just as affordable to shoot as a 9mm."

Can you elaborate on this?
That has not been my experience at least when it came to rounds for target practice. I've seldom had problems locating 100 round boxes for $10-$12 but admittingly have not purchased any for a long time.

One big reason I never went with a .40 S&W was because of the higher price of the rounds. Have prices come down since?

I really like that serbu super shorty. What's a STAMP?

Thanks,

Roach

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
LAWFFICER Pertaining to your post...."The .40 is just as affordable to shoot as a 9mm."

Can you elaborate on this?
That has not been my experience at least when it came to rounds for target practice. I've seldom had problems locating 100 round boxes for $10-$12 but admittingly have not purchased any for a long time.

One big reason I never went with a .40 S&W was because of the higher price of the rounds. Have prices come down since?

I really like that serbu super shorty. What's a STAMP?

Thanks,

Roach

Try google search on GeorgiaArms ammunition. Price is a little more for .40 and 9mm plus there is plenty of surplus military ammo around.

The STAMP refers to a Federal Tax Stamp you must purchase. Although the price isn't the issue...You must go through a Class 3 dealer, it's getting a chief of police to sign off on the application process, including the serial number of the weapon you purchased, you getting fingerprinted and the 32+ pages of personal information you have to give the federal govt in addition to the 6 month wait...Before you can take delivery. Anywhere you tote a Class 3...and that is very limited..your stamp must accompany the weapon. You cannot transport across state lines nor change location of weapon without letter of variance from ATF. My last class 3 stamps were issued in 1983 and I know of no changes to the process. If you have a class 3 weapon, the feds may come by anytime they please to see that weapon..My stamps were $250.00 each..

Anyone with more recent experience please chime in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread