Buying high mileage newer cars

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought my 2008 F350 a couple months ago with 112k on the clock. I bought my GT500 a year and a half ago with 48k on it. Mileage doesn't matter to me as long as everything is in good shape and the mechanic side of things checks out. :beer:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I know people hate on rentals and honestly the percent of the population that beats on them is very very low.

And yeah they follow the guidelines for maintenance to the letter. They are always well maintained from a reputable company like Enterprise or Hertz.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
what the hell do you guys (that say you beat on rentals) DO to those poor cars? and WHY? I've had several rentals, and I used them to get me back & forth... had no reason to beat the piss out of them. I mean what do you get from beating the piss out of what is most likely a 200 hp fwd car???

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
what the hell do you guys (that say you beat on rentals) DO to those poor cars? and WHY? I've had several rentals, and I used them to get me back & forth... had no reason to beat the piss out of them. I mean what do you get from beating the piss out of what is most likely a 200 hp fwd car???

I rented a F150 that I sprayed a few times.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member

I don't beat on rentals, but per my previous post I have witnessed the before, during, and after of rental cars coming in. The vast majority were fine, and all were well maintained, but there were a lot of occasions you could just tell the person driving it did not give a flying **** about it - and often about their own car either from the 12" pile of trash on their floor.

While most of the cars were obviously putted solely around town, the techs often noted that the brake pads wore down much faster and a couple cars had sloppy gear/transmission issues noticeably premature. Sure, the issues were fixed as necessary, but it was evident the cars were jack rabbit accelerated and stopped - but so were the owners own cars most likely.

On a couple of occasions we had people unaware they needed to fill the tank, one of which had an average fuel economy displayed of 14ish mpg!!!....on a family sedan. Was she racing it, probably not, but she was upset the rental process didn't go smoothly, thought she could get away with not paying for the fuel and was going to get sweet revenge through this - I assume.

Then you have the people who don't necessarily beat on them, but they don't think twice about how their child rammed their feet into and scuffed up the back of the seat. In their own car they might stop it right away, but in the rental who cares they think...Sure, a lot of these people don't treat their cars well either, but suddenly they get put in a car that's not their responsibility and its amazing how little they care about what they do or how they drive it...mostly because they're pissed by the repairs their own car needs.

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

This.

I just had a camry rental car as my car was in the shop for getting rear ended. I drove it as I would my own car.

I dont see the point in beating the piss out of a car just because you dont own it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
No idea why everyone gets so freaked out about this concept. I commute about 70 miles a day, so I put a ton of miles on my cars. I bought a new WRX a while ago thinking I was going to keep the car for a long time. It was one of the very first 2012's on the lots, bought in november of 2011.

As of this February, about 14 months later, we started looking for a house, so I wanted to get out of the payment. Put it up for sale with 28k miles on it and being 2 months into 2013, everyone that I talked to was flipping their shit about me putting so many miles on it in a short time period. There was literally nothing wrong with the car, it still looked brand new. I even paid extra for a 5yr/100k mile warranty because I knew I'd be racking up miles. Nobody cared. Damn near had to give the car away. I took it to carmax and a few other dealers trying to get a trade in and they wanted to give me $21k for it, which was $10k less than I paid. So they were telling me the car lost roughly 30% of it's value in a year. Complete BS.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I came in here expecting to see the OP asking about a few year old vehicle with close to 200k on it. Big letdown.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
:lol:So you rented a truck installed a nitrous kit adn raced it lol? How long did you rent it for?

Yeah I got it when my Cobra got hit and was in the body shop. It was the only thing Enterprise had left so I installed a dry nozzle and used a bottle I had and some hose. I had it in a duffel bag and sprayed a 75 shot.

It was entertaining but the electronic throttle kept freaking out when I sprayed it and was WOT. It'd pulling timing on shifts and it never really ran right.

I had it for 2 weeks and sprayed a full bottle through it.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
I have a friend who bought a company car (2006 Impala) with 240k in 2011, damn! It has had some electrical issues, but besides that nothing major. It was mostly highway, and as a result the car doesn't have a whole lot of wear. He's at 25x,xxx and it still runs fine.

I work for a major rental company, and some customers beat on cars, some don't. The biggest thing is that they trash the interiors, leaving crap and spilling drinks all the time. We vacuum and clean them out, but they are pretty much always maintained as far as oils changes and regular maintenance goes. The interior is the biggest indicator, as most rental cars aren't fast to begin with. Trashed rental interior=driven like shit.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
No idea why everyone gets so freaked out about this concept. I commute about 70 miles a day, so I put a ton of miles on my cars. I bought a new WRX a while ago thinking I was going to keep the car for a long time. It was one of the very first 2012's on the lots, bought in november of 2011.

As of this February, about 14 months later, we started looking for a house, so I wanted to get out of the payment. Put it up for sale with 28k miles on it and being 2 months into 2013, everyone that I talked to was flipping their shit about me putting so many miles on it in a short time period. There was literally nothing wrong with the car, it still looked brand new. I even paid extra for a 5yr/100k mile warranty because I knew I'd be racking up miles. Nobody cared. Damn near had to give the car away. I took it to carmax and a few other dealers trying to get a trade in and they wanted to give me $21k for it, which was $10k less than I paid. So they were telling me the car lost roughly 30% of it's value in a year. Complete BS.

People are scared of the miles. If its highway miles then no problem, but most of the time you do not know unless the owner is completely honest and have nothing to hide.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
My stepfather bought a 2005 F-150 5.4 that was a rental truck. He got it in late 2007 with 72K on the clock. Since then the only non-wear item to go bad was this little switch for the 4wd system. It was $24.
My biological father has a 05 2500HD 6.0 that again he got in late 2007 with around 67k.
Wasn't a rental. Only things it's needed are a hub, rear axle seals, and tie rods. This truck was also plowed with and has done alot of towing.
Both trucks are over 160k now with no issues.
Both have down a fair amount of towing.
The Chevy was plowed with aswell.
Both used trucks are holding up just fine with what could be called high mileage.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Uhh, yeah, welcome to the real world.

If you had half the mileage, they still wouldve offered $21k. They gotta make money too.

Right... Carmax was selling cars just like mine with similar miles for $26k. They are trying to make $5k on a nearly new car? And they tell me there is so much they need to do to get it ready to sell. Like what, wash it?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Right... Carmax was selling cars just like mine with similar miles for $26k. They are trying to make $5k on a nearly new car? And they tell me there is so much they need to do to get it ready to sell. Like what, wash it?

Yeah, that seems about right. I dont know what part of this surprises you :shrug:

Someone could trade in an 03/04 cobra for $15k, you think therye gonna put it on the lot for anything less than $23k?

testorossa1989

Established Member
I always feel like high mileage cars are for dreams who want to say they own something nice with a 40% APR predatory loan from Bobs Auto lot. Rental cars i would stay away from. I know a few people who bought those and the amount of repairs it needed in a short period of time was insane.

30K on a 2012 isnt terrible considering thats about 15k a year. I opened this thread thinking your looking at those 12"s and 13s that have like 85k on them already.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

That's how they make money.... they are the ones buying, if you don't like their offer then you are more than welcome to sell to anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread