Buying my first gun. which of these 3 should i get? (Hi-Point)

MystiChrome04

Established Member
Beating a dead horse but again stay AWAY from hi-point if you want reliability.

I've had many different handguns from Glock's to a Taurus. All have been great weapons and all cost under $600 (some under $450). I now carry one of two weapons, either my Glock 19 (absolutely love the size and control of this weapon) or my Springfield XD 9 (a bit heavier and bit larger but I am most comfortable and accurate with it). Although my next person will be a H&K USP compact in 9mm, easy to carry and extremely accurate (a bit more expensive though).

When it comes to size it doesn't matter what caliber for the most part, most companies make a sub-compact model in the most sought after calibers. I prefer 9mm as I have total control of the weapon even with rapid firing (double taps) and with a JHP 9mm it will stop anyone breaking into your home.

Do yourself a favor especially if your going to carry, get a reliable weapon that you can count on. One that is comfortable, accurate and most importantly safe. The safety part will mostly come from training but a good weapon will also play a big role!

MystiChrome04

Established Member
i plan to carry whatever gun i buy concealed with a permit.

i can carry it as long as its completely hidden on me right? so having a holster on my side wouldnt work even if my shirt is covering it? i was gonna look for a holster with straps that will strap around my thigh since i usually wear shorts that are a little bit loose. is there a specific name for them? i found a few that wrap around your shoulder but i dont want one of those. if i plan to hide it then maybe the 9 would be best for me.

Your in my state, the weapon needs to be concealed from public view. Meaning you should not be able to physically see the weapon, we don't have to worry much about printing. I mean you don't want to wear spandex and have the weapon be that easy to spot, but the more hidden, the better for you as well.

I use Crossbreed IWB holsters (Crossbreed Super-Tuck to be exact) they are very comfortable holsters and hide the weapon extremely well when setup right. I use it with shorts constantly, the key is a good gun belt!

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Get a Makarov. Cheap, easy to carry, accurate, super reliable, and gets the job done. Ammo is also pretty cheap.

350px-MakarovPM.jpg

As with any eastern bloc gun, it is seriously OVERBUILT. You could probably drive over the thing and nothing would happen. I like to think of mine as the AK equivalent in pistol form.

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
If your going 9mm get a a glock 17, or glock 19 and enjoy the factory 33 round magazines. They are alot of fun.

Here's my glock 17 with a 33round Glock mag and glock laser/light combo:
dscn0244l.jpg

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
thanks for the tips

does it really take 90 days to wait for my concealed permit? or is it up to 90 days and may take less?

i heard gun silencers were illegal..but on google..it appears you can have one in Florida by filling out a form and getting approved for one. what are my chances of getting one. or are they not recommended? What Are The Florida Laws On Firearm Silencers? - Blurtit

then someone said
"They are legal in Florida as long as you have contacted the NFA, gotten the required tax stamp, and pre-approval from the ATF before purchasing them. You can NOT purchase any part of the silencer until you get approval from the ATF. If you do, you have committed a felony in Florida. "
[ame=http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=263806]Silencers, are they legal and easy to get in Florida? - THR[/ame]

turbosvt93

Established Member
i got tricked into buying a high point 9mm, it was new never shot. Took it out, first round fired, second jammed, third jammed, forth shot, and fifth jammed. Put it down and started shooting my modified saiga 7.62 and walther ppk .380.

I love the walther ppk. never had one problem it.

Agree best home protection is a 12g. Mossberg tactical ready to go under the bed.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Get a Makarov. Cheap, easy to carry, accurate, super reliable, and gets the job done. Ammo is also pretty cheap.

350px-MakarovPM.jpg

As with any eastern bloc gun, it is seriously OVERBUILT. You could probably drive over the thing and nothing would happen. I like to think of mine as the AK equivalent in pistol form.

I suggested this as well. The only problem with them is that the ammo is kind of hard to find. Other than that I think it's a great gun. We like ours a lot.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
thanks for the tips

does it really take 90 days to wait for my concealed permit? or is it up to 90 days and may take less?

i heard gun silencers were illegal..but on google..it appears you can have one in Florida by filling out a form and getting approved for one. what are my chances of getting one. or are they not recommended? What Are The Florida Laws On Firearm Silencers? - Blurtit

then someone said
"They are legal in Florida as long as you have contacted the NFA, gotten the required tax stamp, and pre-approval from the ATF before purchasing them. You can NOT purchase any part of the silencer until you get approval from the ATF. If you do, you have committed a felony in Florida. "
Silencers, are they legal and easy to get in Florida? - THR

Wtf do you need a silencer for?

obvious troll is obvious.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
First gun? I recommend buying a good quality .357magnum revolver. Why?

1. Safer and more reliable than semi-automatic firearm
2. No safeties to forget or fumble
3. Practice with .38 special ammo, use .357 mag for self-defense

PM sent with links to safety and marksmanship materials I used when teaching.

Harry
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Excellent suggestion, but he's wanting it for conceal carry, in this case he will have to get a small frame revolver such as a Taurus or S&W 5 shot and it will kick pretty good. This is an awesome caliber gun though, probably just not the common sense answer that he wants to hear.
OMFG this thread hurts my head. OP, please listen to the people in this thread that are much more knowledgeable than you.

OP, you should take a gun safety and basic marksmanship class before you purchase any gun. It's obvious by your posts that you have little to *NO* experience with firearms. The course will be a great investment for you, and most importantly will make your life safer owning an firearm since you wish to concealed carry.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^THIS=GOOD ADVICE and well put.
thanks for the tips

then someone said
Silencers, are they legal and easy to get in Florida? - THR
Why do you need a silencer. Trying to kill someone? If you have a concealed handgun license, you are allowed to carry a gun, why would you try and keep it quiet? You stated in several posts above, that you were concerned with concealability, so why would you want to screw a silencer on the gun and make it damn hard to conceal? What you need to do is go on a GUN website, NOT a CAR website and get your answers. Also, gunbroker.com has some very good deals on guns, and reputable dealers and sellers.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
lmao at the guy wanting a silenced carry weapon. This shit just got tactical.

To expand on my recommendation of the Makarov, I put over 300rds through mine when the inside of the gun was still packed with cosmoline. It cycled perfectly and didn't jam once.

Last edited:

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
OP, you should take a gun safety and basic marksmanship class before you purchase any gun. It's obvious by your posts that you have little to know experience with firearms. The course will be a great investment for you, and most importantly will make your life safer owning a firearm since you wish to concealed carry.

I suggest you take some sort of class as to you have NO CLUE WHAT YOUR DOING OR talking about. When your done and you are fairly smart spend money on a weapon that will work the right way every time not a cheap POS that might work, guess what your dead because your DUMB.:read::read:

PLEASE Listen to these Guys,and ME..Take a Class or two and learn about Firearms,because if you have to ask (in your words),"whats stronger a 9mm-40-45"? And then thought (in your words) the 40 was Bigger than the 45.I have NEVER heard anyone say."whats Stronger" when comparing Calibers,I understand everyone has to start out somewhere.But Firearms isn't one of those things you just jump into without any research before hand,it's people that don't have any clue about Firearms that end up Shooting themselves or someone else when they say those Famous Greenhorn words,"it's not loaded"! The saying treat EVERY Gun as if were loaded is NO JOKE,and is Rule #1 that should ALWAYS be followed.Sorry for the long Rant,but it's people that have no idea about Firearms (other than when you pull the Trigger,they go Bang) that end up having Accidents.And everytime this type of accident happens it gives the Gun Grabbers more reasons to try to pass more restrictions against Responsible & Knowledgeable Gun Owners.So OP for your Safty,and the Safety of others take some Classes.Or if you know someone that knows about Firearms,I'm sure they would help teach you everything you need & want to know.:read::read: And Remember..Knowing is Half the Battle!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
i got tricked into buying a high point 9mm, it was new never shot. Took it out, first round fired, second jammed, third jammed, forth shot, and fifth jammed. Put it down and started shooting my modified saiga 7.62 and walther ppk .380.

I love the walther ppk. never had one problem it.

Agree best home protection is a 12g. Mossberg tactical ready to go under the bed.

Granted..Hi point is junk..but when first firing a new weapon first 100 rounds will be the bulk or should be of jams. The weapon will take a few rounds to break in. Another reason why you dont want to interchange weapon parts. -Shane

Users who are viewing this thread