Buying out of State

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
I have ran out of options of a local purchase. I'v found a few vehicles out of state, and would like to know if anyone has done this before. I can get vehicle transportation very easily, I will not need to fly out to the dealer to drive the car home, however, in this day in age do I still need to be in person to sign for the vehicle and everything? I know ppl buy vehicles online all the time, but is it even possible to do a full, over the phone transaction with a Ford Dealership? Thanks for any valid input.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Good question, not sure on that though. I would say you'd probably have to be there. One option would be to have a local dealership get it from this other dealer and then it would essentially be a local transaction.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I've done this with other manufacturers. The cars were bought over the phone, sight unseen, and the paperwork was done via email, fax, and FedEx. The upside is, you can usually get them to deal heavily, since they know it will take a lot for you to fly/drive in or have the car shipped.

The downside? For one, you won't be taking it back to the same dealer for service. Usually, the dealer service departments will treat you much better if you had bought the car from them, e.g. you are more likely to get a loaner car.

Also, if God forbid you have to file a lemon lawsuit on the car, the water gets very muddied on which state's lemon laws apply. Then, of course, if it's the other state, you get in to having to travel there to be deposed, etc.

As the previous poster said, one option would be to have the car you want shipped to your local dealer, so you are technically buying it from them. If you consider the costs of doing that, though, I doubt that you would get the best deal possible.

Last edited:

kleistang

Established Member
I just bought a car from hi-end auto, i'll definitely recommend them. if you don't find a car that fits your needs on their inventory and something is wrong lol. i didn't even go there i made the deal all by phone they emailed me pictures and videos of the car. they also helped me to get the car financed all the paperwork was overnighted we signed and sent back. it was a really smooth transaction. i was a car salesman for 3 years and I've never deal with such a nice ppl.

im assuming you are looking for a cobra. if not well most dealers would work with you over the phone and would mail paperwork for you to sign with no problems. they would also arrange the shipping or you can try your luck at sites like uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves

Hi-End Auto LLC | Specials | Appomattox Car Dealer | Chevrolet Camaro

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Thanks for the great responses. The Lemon Law issue was one I did not think of, and would hope never happens.

The service issues from not buying the car from that dealer I think I would be ok since in this area of California, OC and LA, there are so many Ford Dealerships they are very used to seeing vehicles they did not sell brought in for service. I have a strong relationship with an Indy shop if anything needs to go that far.

I have a salesman my family has purchased 8 vehicles from at a Ford Dealership by me and I am interested in the idea of seeing if he can dealer swap or get the vehicle I want from the other Ford Dealer out of state. I do wonder, however, how much would this be.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Why can't the dealership that you deal with find you one on a dealer trade? When I worked at my local ford dealership we did dealer trades all the time. You tell your local dealer exactly what you want, paint color, rims, options, ect. They check inventory on surrounding dealers and see if they'll make a trade on something they might need.

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Why can't the dealership that you deal with find you one on a dealer trade? When I worked at my local ford dealership we did dealer trades all the time. You tell your local dealer exactly what you want, paint color, rims, options, ect. They check inventory on surrounding dealers and see if they'll make a trade on something they might need.

Locally there is nothing. Thats why I am looking out of state. If there was one from the top of California to San Diego at the far South Id be driving there. If dealers can trade other Ford Dealers out of state, thats what I am wondering, and if so what do they charge. Iv looked in Las Vegas and Arizona also. Thats why Im looking to pick one up else where.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Locally there is nothing. Thats why I am looking out of state. If there was one from the top of California to San Diego at the far South Id be driving there. If dealers can trade other Ford Dealers out of state, thats what I am wondering, and if so what do they charge. Iv looked in Las Vegas and Arizona also. Thats why Im looking to pick one up else where.

Yes they can do dealer trades out of state, we've done many mainly just our surrounding states though. We never really charged anything extra to the buyers, we would just go on a road trip and do a swap with the dealer or buy it outright from them.

mustangted06

Established Member
i got my 06 from a dealer in florida. my brother did see it in person but i didnt until 3 weeks later. entire purchase was done by fax, email and fed ex.

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Yes they can do dealer trades out of state, we've done many mainly just our surrounding states though. We never really charged anything extra to the buyers, we would just go on a road trip and do a swap with the dealer or buy it outright from them.

Good to know. Thx for the info.

For registration, Warranty reasons, and also Financing it makes more sense to try to get the vehicle purchased in CA. I know it gets difficult dealing with registration in CA on a vehicle not purchased in state because you still have to pay fees and smog bringing inbound vehicles from out of state. Ill have to call the dealer on Monday and see how far they are willing to trade.

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
i got my 06 from a dealer in florida. my brother did see it in person but i didnt until 3 weeks later. entire purchase was done by fax, email and fed ex.

Did you buy it directly from the dealer in FL? If so did you have it shipped to you in NY?

Grant808

Established Member
I've had local dealerships offer to bring in cars from out of state...I'd talk to a few and get the best deal. Good luck to you.

kleistang

Established Member
you can go to your local dealer, give them the exact specs that you want on the car and they would look who has them closer to you and get it from another dealer if they are willing to do it.

they would obviously charge you to bring the car to you thought or if you want to save but wait a bit more time you can get one ordered

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
you can go to your local dealer, give them the exact specs that you want on the car and they would look who has them closer to you and get it from another dealer if they are willing to do it.

they would obviously charge you to bring the car to you thought or if you want to save but wait a bit more time you can get one ordered

I looked into ordering but can you get a good price having one ordered? When building one online the price is easily $37k+. Iv seen the same vehicle at a east coast dealer for $32k.

Kevinz00GT

Established Member
Just did this last week.....I was dead set on a sterling gray premium automatic and couldn't find it locally. I live in Mississippi but purchased the car in alabama but it was dealer traded from a dealer in Louisiana. The only downside is that the car had a little over 400 miles on it when I got it but I got EXACTLY what I wanted at a better price than anyone local was offering me ($700 less to be exact) and it was overall a great buying experience.

They basically charged me the same 5% tax that I would have paid in Mississippi and then sent it to my local dmv so it can be tagged and titled there

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Just did this last week.....I was dead set on a sterling gray premium automatic and couldn't find it locally. I live in Mississippi but purchased the car in alabama but it was dealer traded from a dealer in Louisiana. The only downside is that the car had a little over 400 miles on it when I got it but I got EXACTLY what I wanted at a better price than anyone local was offering me ($700 less to be exact) and it was overall a great buying experience.

They basically charged me the same 5% tax that I would have paid in Mississippi and then sent it to my local dmv so it can be tagged and titled there

Yeah there is only one to my specs near any states by me, Washington. The next best is Kansas, one in Texas is far over priced. Im not sure how far out my Southern California dealership is willing to go. I will have to do some leg work and see.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I bought mine 3000 miles away. but it was built to order and I received mine back in June 2010. I am in NJ. Ordered from Price Ford, Mark Ostroot (Portland Washington!) He gave me a deal I couldnt refuse. After the car was built it was shipped to my local dealer for pickup.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
I looked into ordering but can you get a good price having one ordered? When building one online the price is easily $37k+. Iv seen the same vehicle at a east coast dealer for $32k.

Just work the deal up front. I got mine for $1k over invoice ordered exactly the way I wanted. I think it's possible to do better, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten $500 over at another dealer. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do even better now...or see the fleet managers, which I didn't bother to do.

Users who are viewing this thread