C head swap knock sensor question.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
Like posted, doing a c head swap on my cobra. Car is a 97. I've seen mixed reviews on my question. I've heard they wont throw a CEL, I've also heard that it can retard the timing quite a bit. I've got a Diablo tuner on the car, and will try adjusting the knock sensor input to 0%. But can I just unplug them and leave it at that? From my understanding they are a piezo stack that generates a voltage spike whenever the crystals are compressed and relaxed. In theory just unplugging them wouldnt cause an issue as there wouldnt be any inputs from the sensors. Are my thoughts right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mustang8650

Established Member
I did the C head swap on my 98 Cobra and still using my old B upper intake. I did not reinstall the knock sensors. I had a code until I tuned with my Pro Racer software but the knock sensors weren't throwing a code it was from the IMRC delete, removed them in the tune and compensated for the lost timing in my new tune. Funny thing is car still ran pretty darn good with no tune done just had the error code from the IMRC's. Ran it a year like that then used the SCT Pro Racer software for a real tune.

Users who are viewing this thread