C&L 76mm MAF

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Anyone using the 76mm c&l on a stock motor? will this piece fit onto the stock airbox, i like the stock look over the conical filter. Also is the upgrade worth it, are there any noticible power increases. Thanks!!!

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
Warning

Do not replace the Cobra MAF sensor without replacing the computer. The Cobra computer is not calibrated for a stock sensor. Conversly, a LX/GT can not use a Cobra MAF sensor without the Cobra computer.

Get a junkyard A9L computer with a new MAF sensor.

Wayne

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
By the way

The Cobra MAF sensor is not the weak link in the chain.

The cam is. Our test have shown that a old technology B-303 with at least a 3.73 gear set will give the biggest gain. Put some headers and a K&N flat filter in and you'll do fine.

Do not use a conical filter unless it is mounted in the fender well. Hot air from the radiator will slow you down if you mount a conical in the engine compartment.

I wouldn't change the MAF sensor unless you use a power adder.

Wayne

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
thanks for the input, i had no idea about the computer. i think im just going to go with the headers and exhaust. I want to stay with bolt on items seeing how the car is completely stock and one day i may want to return it that way. By the way, i was thinking about equal length shorties, bassani xpipe with cats....what type of header do you recommend...brand and size...again i just want to use bolt on stuff. Also i've already purchased a 3.55 gear, what other bolt ons do you recommend.....thanks again
jason

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
Equal length shorties: great. Used the small 1 5/8" for better torque.

Bassani X w/cats: X is for higher rpm applications. I'd recommend an h-pipe for your setup. Heck, I use illegal offroads and change to cats when time for vehicle inspections.

Do not ever get rid of the stock mufflers. Ever. Flowmasters showed us no gain and only pain (drone sound at 1800rpm). I still have stock mufflers on my car.
Again, the best bang for the buck we found is the B-303 cam. GT-40 heads really like it. E and F-302 cams were disappointing.

3.55 is really not enough. 3.73 or 4.10 gears are better.

My friend has a 5 point bolt on for 12.60 in the quarter:
1. 4.56 gears
2. B-303 cam
3. Goodyear slicks
4. headers and h-pipe.
5. K&N filter in the stock airbox

That's it. 12.60s all day long. change any one of these except the air filter and you are back in the 13s.
Wayne

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
The A9L was not worth the swap for me. I gained absolutely no power improvements with the A9L and a Pro-M 75. I tried it twice with 2 different Pro-M's and gained nothing!

If you know anybody who wants a chrome Pro-M 75 MAF calibrated for 24# injectors let me know. I will sell it for $150.00. I have one with less than 500 miles doing nothing but collecting dust.

ObieFox

Established Member
C&L makes a '93 cobra specific 76mm MAF with the cast inlet tube. It works great with the stock '93 cobra computer. I have been running one for about 6 months. It will connect up to the stock airbox with no problems at all. As far as performance goes, who knows, I did Bassani headers and exhaust at the same time. All I can say, is she runs great and idles perfectly.

KO

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
The A9L was not worth the swap for me. I gained absolutely no power improvements with the A9L and a Pro-M 75. I tried it twice with 2 different Pro-M's and gained nothing!

You aren't going to gain any HP or TQ by swapping to an A9L computer what you will gain is greater flexibility when preforming modifications. The '93 Cobra computer has some built in constraints that limit what you can do to the car before confusing the computer. The biggest limitation with the stock Cobra computer is that it pulls out timing under heavy load (i.e acceleration). This was supposed done for reliability reasons but it really hurts performance. The A9L computer has many fewer electronic constraints and as a result has the ability to compensate for more modifications! Does your car have any other mods? Just swapping the computer and Mass Air won't net you much if the rest of the car is stock:)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by Black93Cobra

You aren't going to gain any HP or TQ by swapping to an A9L computer what you will gain is greater flexibility when preforming modifications. The '93 Cobra computer has some built in constraints that limit what you can do to the car before confusing the computer. The biggest limitation with the stock Cobra computer is that it pulls out timing under heavy load (i.e acceleration). This was supposed done for reliability reasons but it really hurts performance. The A9L computer has many fewer electronic constraints and as a result has the ability to compensate for more modifications! Does your car have any other mods? Just swapping the computer and Mass Air won't net you much if the rest of the car is stock:)

Interesting..Theoretically if it pulls timing and richens fuel at 93 mph like it supposedly does then it is going to cost horspower at that mph and up.

By the way the first time I installed the pro-m and A9L, I was on a dyno. (which is generally performed at 80 mph and up) I had a 2 horsepower loss. The second pro-m I installed, I went to the track and run about 2 tenths slower.
Along with the above items I developed a very poor idle when the car was cold. (during winter months)
I have recently installed a FRPP 'B' cam and plan on returning to the dyno to perform a custom tune and possible burn a chip for my car. If they cannot burn a chip for the X3Z then I will re-install teh A9L and Pro-M and let the tune be setup with those items.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Black93Cobra

Does your car have any other mods?

nope, no mods at all right now. i was just considering some minor bolt ons because i want to leave it mostly stock. ive purchased a 355 gear but havent installed it, just doing a little at a time. A friend of mine from Ohio has the same car and swapped the computers and with other minor bolt ons swears he is running 12.9...sounds nice. Hey im in Charlotte also....what part of charlotte do you live in?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Wow, 12.9's, pretty impressive. Either he is a hell of a driver or his car has more mods than he is telling you about. Actually I live north of Charlotte in Concord, how about you? We should get together and exchange notes on our Cobra's. Just send me an email and we will see when we can get together. Do you belong to any of the local Mustang clubs? :beer:

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I havent lived in Charlotte very long, so im not sure of any mustang clubs that are around. A guy i work with and i were discussing trying to find one. he has a 93 supercharged.....that thing is pretty darn quick. I actually live in Mint Hill but wouldnt mind meeting up sometime. We have been talking about riding to Rockingham on a friday night for open night drags. We also rode down to the fun ford show in commerce......nice stuff there, nice seeing some heavily modded stangs running 7 second quarter mile times and over 200 mph. i have some great pics from it.

02_Lightning

Established Member
That Cobra from Ohio would be me. I have an A9L computer that was tuned by Mike Wesley. I could not believe the difference in the car after that mod. The car has the following modifications:
3.73 gear
H-pipe on stock exhaust
MAC 1 5/8" shorty headers
TPS adjusted
A9L by Mike Wesley
Homemade cold air

I ran the 12.90 @ 106 pass at Norwalk in the fall with a 1.89 60' time on 15" BFG drag radials. I guess it was a decent pass. I haven't had it out to the track since then.

trey193

Established Member
Hmm! My mostly stock 93 Cobra has the E cam and 3.55's and runs 12.80's @108 on drag radials! Full weight, heads never been off, intake untouched, still has the stock sparkplugs!! Not sure if I agree with all of Waynes recommendations! But every car is different! Mods in the sig! And by the way the car is FOR SALE!! Will entertain offers in the 16's , only 18,000 miles car is mint! Pics @ www.southrides.com

Users who are viewing this thread