C&L Performance 95mm. Mass Airflow system

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Its been discussed a few times. I personally dont see a reason for it. Is your current MAF pegging?

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
I have only owned the car a couple weeks. So I am just looking for cheap/quick horsepower, and they claiming like 26 RWHP & 12.9 RWTQ. So it sounds pretty good to me just want to know if there have been any problems with this mod?

rotorwing70

Established Member
Search

Do a search using my sign on, rotorwing70, there are several threads on the subject. The claims for hp and torque are close to the numbers I got with mine.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Not trying to knock the wind out of rotorwing70's post, but those HP numbers are not from just the 95MM MAS. They include a performace open element air filter with the kit. The majority of the HP gained from this combo comes from the removal of the stock airbox and filter and replacing it with the C&L unit. Unless you are maxing out the stock MAF there's really no need to replace it with a larger unit. A good CAI will net you 15-20 RWHP alone.

U.M.

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Id agree w/Uncle Meat.
Also pretty cheap HP is with a Pulley Change. Best Bang for the BUCK.

CHIT just ordered it yesturday so now im heading to the Dark Side.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
C&L are the only ones who claim such a high horsepower gain from their product. For instance Steeda doesn't even show their hp gain . I am not going to do a pulley/chip until warranty is gone, so all the bad things I have read are still leaving me with questions as to any problems with this product.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
C&L are the only ones who claim such a high horsepower gain from their product.
For simplicity sake lets look at your car at idle. The engine is consuming (ie taking in) a certain amount of air. The amount of air is easily flowed by the stock maf and could be easily handled by a smaller maf as well from a pure air flow capability point of view. The stock maf is good to over 600rwhp if im not mistaken so why would going with a larger MAF benefit you? The benefit would come not from its ability to flow more air but from the voltage it reports to the EEC at a given flow rate, this in turn will affect how the EEC responds with fuel etc. The same effect and more could be acheived from a chip/mafterbuner type setup.

Silver 03 Cobra

I've read the stock MAF is plenty good to 500 rwhp. I thought that when you change the diameter of the MAF housing the sensor had to be recalibrated. Is this not correct. The area of the 90 mm housing is 6361 sq. mm while the 95 mm housing is 7088 sq. mm. It looks like it would have to be recalibrated.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
If your car is not pegging the current MAF (ie causing it to hit 5v because the engine isnt drawing in more air then the MAF can properly monitor) then why would putting on a bigger MAF offer a benefit?

The EEC knows how much air is getting through the MAF based on the voltage it reports to the EEC. Just because a larger MAF can flow more doesnt mean it needs to flow more. The flow going through the MAF will be based on what the engine is drawing in. Now the EEC doesnt know what MAF you have on the car but it does expect the stock MAF to be there and it knows that at 1v the MAF flows XXX and at 4v the stock MAF flows XXX. If the voltage for a given flow rate changes because you put a new MAF on the EEC will be making decisions based on skewed information. Since larger MAF often flow more air at a given voltage when the comp sees 1v it will assume (based on what it knows of the stock MAF) that a given amount of air is coming in. However since the new larger maf allows more air flow at a given voltage I would assume the car will run leaner due to the extra air the EEC is not aware of. Running a tad leaner generally results in power gains but can also result in detonation and engine damage.

MustangRacer310

Established Member
Hi,

I have a C&L kit for my 03 Cobra. Even if it would had 1 hp, The sound itself is the best part! I can hear the SuperCharger atleast 2 times more! That for me is my drug! Everytime I floor it, I can be heard from a block away! And the good thing is that under normal driving, It sounds just like as if it was stock. I'm VERY happy with the kit! I also feel a little difference in the power, specially between 5k-6200 RPM!

:eek:)

Sin

Established Member
Got the kit, simply cause it came that way. True no significant gain but it looks wonderful for now. I have more plans for my car so it will be useful later on.

Users who are viewing this thread