C&L? Timing?

93COBRA2104

Established Member
The C&L mass air I bought said 24# injectors should set initial timing at 17-18 degrees. Off the line my car bogs in 1st and then takes off. It is adding like .2 to my 1/4 mile.

I would like to know what any of you with with C&L's did as far as timing and static fuel pressure. Thanks guys.

satx

Banned
you need the meter for 19# injector I believe......the computer makes the conversion. On the other hand, you could get an A9L computer and call it a day.

ObieFox

Established Member
C&L makes a '93 cobra specific MAF for the 24 pd injectors. I am running one with no problems at all. I run about 14-15 degrees of timing. I have never touched the fuel pressure.

Good luck,

Kevin

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys. I have the clear sample tube ('93 Cobra specific) and the blue 24# tube. I think the problem is that my timing is too advanced. I was also told that I may get better gaines with the A9L computer and the blue tube. Thanks again guys. :beer:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't touch fuel pressure. I have been told by many tuners that changing to the A9L shouldn't make much, if any difference in performance. The two computers are actually not that much different, as I have compared the binaries using my Tweecer/RT.

Too far advanced timing shouldn't be causing you to bog, you would hear detonation though.

I would put the 93 Cobra specific tube in and try that. If you have the 24# tube in, then you are actually probably running lean (I believe), since the computer think the standard meter is in and you are actually running a meter that is trying to trick the computer into thinking that less are is actually coming through the meter.

The 93 Cobra compensates for the 24# injectors with the computer itself in the "high injector slope" and the "low injector slope".

Xstanger

Established Member
I changed my ecu to an A9L when I changed the MAF to a Pro-M 77mm. If you plan on modding any further (cam....), do yourself a favor and change the ecu.

I will tell you that it may not seem like a lot but changing you cam to an E303 will improve your top end a bit.

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I can hear some detonation. Very little though. I will be knocking back the timing to 14-15 degrees.

I think my reason for boging is because I may need a tune up. I have everything for the tune up, just havn't done it yet.

As for the computer, I am planning for heads and cam... General concensus: A9L or NOT?

Thanks again guys.

Xstanger

Established Member
I would say yes. I had bad idle surge with the stock unit and ecu when I put in the E303, that is when I changed it along with the MAF to a 77mm.

shetheri

Established Member
The Cobra computer is not as bad as everyone thinks. I dynoed mine, stock, with the stock computer and the A9L and it showed no gain. I ran the stock Cobra computer with my 347" with a Z-cam, Vic Jr heads, Holley intake C&L 95mm, 42# injectors and big exhaust with no issues. I am still running it with 22# boost and a Chris Johnson chip. It works fine.

Scott

race495

Established Member
And to show the flip side, I dynoed mine with a 306, S-trim, heads, 228/230 .565"/575" 112 cam, intake, etc...with the stock ECU and then an A9L

20 hp difference back top back up top. The tale is that the Cobra ECU pulls timing above 93 mph and it was the upper rpms in 4th that the power difference was made. Of course on blower cars timing is a huge deal but there was a difference.

I say if you can get one for under $100 then go for it. Hell, you can always sell the X3 ECU to someone to make it up. Otherwise just get a chip or some sort of tuning device. Really it all depends on how far you are going mod wise and how much power you want to make. I can say for sure that approaching 700 rwhp a few degrees of timing can make a difference.

trey193

Established Member
My 93 cobra picked up over 2 mph when I went with the A9L and the C&L 76 calibrated for the 24lb injectors. My 93 with only an E cam, C&L 76 & A9L, Longtubes and 3.55's went 12.85 @ 108.4 with a not so great 1.95 60ft. More seat time and the car could and would have went 12.50's @ 110 or better with better air and 60ft's. Stock weight and a mint car 18,000 miles, I miss it!!! But my 03 Cobra eases the pain!;-)

Digdoug

Established Member
Have a question....if I want to stay with the cobra ecu, and I have a c&l 73mm mass air, do I need the clear 19# (101) tube, or the black (105) tube that the c&l site says. The black tube show '93 cobra and the Taurus SHO. http://www.cnlperformance.com/calibration.html Who is running a c&l and what tube are you using?

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I am not sure about the 73mm. However, I have set my timing to 14 degrees, and am still having a problem. I thought it could be that I needed a tune up. So I did one, and my idle is surging, I have no good torque that I can feel, but my top-end seems to be getting more powerfull. Help is 100% needed and welcome. Thanks guys.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
93Cobra2104: Give us a rundown of your combo (mods, etc.), especially cam. Then we'll start talking about your idle surge and detonation a little more in depth.

trey193

Established Member
Yeah a total mod list would be helpful, be as specific as possible, something little is wrong shouldnt be that hard to pinpoint!

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Let me start off by saying thanks for helping.

Mods: C&L 76mm MAF, Bassani equal length HTC shorties, Bassani X-Pipe w/cats, Bassani side exit exhuast. Tri-Ax.

Info: Stock Cam (to the best of my knowledge), timing currently set at 14 degrees, static fuel pressure set at 36psi. If I run the heater or the air while in idle, the car will die every time. Also, the oil pressure guage will surge on occation, for that I was told to get a new oil pressure sending unit. The cat-back is being changed for subframes and will be flows.

Thanks again for the help.

Also, could you tell me what my timing and static fual pressure would have been stock. Thanks.

ObieFox

Established Member
Stock timing was between 8-10 degrees. I don't know about fuel pressure. I run the exact same mods as you, except my bassani runs out the rear. My car idles perfectly and pulls strong.

KO

Digdoug

Established Member
timing

Mine runs fine at 14 degrees, but pings under accelearation. I had to back it back off to around 10. And I was running the highest octane gas. Don't know what the deal is.

Tank5879

Established Member
i swapped an a9l and a C+L meter in my car, and iwas impressed. no delay tapping the throttle...its revs as you hit the gas, and also, no bog between shifts...the power is right there. i am pretty pleased with the result, as i tried the chip route via diablosport, and i couldn't tell the diffrence powerwise(exept that the throttle delay was gone) the car feels nice and strong with this computer. one thing i checked into, before i changed the computer, as i was afraid about a surging idle, i did some part number research. the ford electronics on the cobra maf are unique to this application. when a c+l meter is swapped, you must retain the ford electronics. the problem is that the maf electronics for cars equipped with the a9l is a diffrent number, thus, when i swapped the a9l in, i also got the c+l calibrated for 24#, and a maf (only availible as reman through ford or a local auto parts store) for a 90 GT (a car equipped with the a9l) and simply left the cobra maf +electronics together in my closet. i have no surging or idle problems, and gas mileage is about the same (19-20mpg) only other mods are mac catback and bbk shorty headers and tri-ax, K+n
i still have my info on part numbers ford and aftermarket(being a parts couterperson, you get to be very resourcesful in part numbering and locating) so if anyone needs info just ask. good luck!!
bry

Users who are viewing this thread