C&L vs JLT

trapnm

Established Member
I will be purchasing an intake in the near future and have obviously heard good things about the JLT. A local speed shop recommended the C&L. I have not been able to find DYNO #'s for a 99 Cobra between a C&L CAI and JLT CAI. Can anyone help. The car will have Basani O/R X pipe and Street Comp Cat Back. Has anyone had any driveability issues (Jay has anyone reported any) with the JLT due to variable air readings through the MAF when coming off the gas and the air being forced back out of and recycled through the MAF reading . I did not know if this was a problem without the bends like the stock pipe. I am not concerned about looks, I am concerned about performance so any SVT member experience and hard evidence to back up claims is what I'm looking for. Jay I look forward to your input on my post. Thanks.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I am just going by what I read, but I have read that while C&L make quality products, they fail to show any gains on the Dyno. My best friend has the full C&L javy stuff on his GT and the pieces are nice, but I don't know if they make any power. I have the JLT and it is awesome. I really like the feel of the CAI. I believe the debate between the best intakes should be between JLT and the full WMS system. But for the price, and the fact that the WMS replaces the MAF, I would say you could see just as good gains with a JLT and an upgraded MAF, however the MAF is not necessary. Get the JLT. For the price, and the quality, you will NOT be disappointed.

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
I have saving for a Volant set up.
Like the igloo box, keeps heat away from the filter and easy to hook up ram air from the front bumper

moonltgold

I have the C&L setup and would not recommend it. I would say the gains, if any, are from the K&N filter. I think C&L does more for the 5.0s than our engines. Go with JLT. Just my two cents.

Tucker

I have had very few customers with idle or part throttle issues and most have been fixed and not a result of the JLT.
Here's my .02
The C&L is pure aluminum. NOT the ideal material for a "COLD" air intake. Aluminum is a "super conductor" Meaning it absorbs heat and "conducts" (transferes)it very fast. Where does it go to? The incoming air.
They dispute this, but fact is fact. If the intake is too hot to touch after a mile of driving then the air in it is getting hot too.

The cooler the air the more dence it is. The more dence the faster it will burn. the faster it burns the more power you will make.

Plastic is the best induction material period!
Let me know when your ready
Jay

trapnm

Established Member
I'm ready Jay, Thanks. By the way what is the S&B powerstack filter for $35 extra? Do I need that? Will be ordering tonight or tomorrow via paypal. Thanks.

Last edited:

edswhite99

Established Member
I've heard a lot of good things about the JLT. I plan on getting one myself within the next couple of weeks.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
Tucker said:
I have had very few customers with idle or part throttle issues and most have been fixed and not a result of the JLT.
Here's my .02
The C&L is pure aluminum. NOT the ideal material for a "COLD" air intake. Aluminum is a "super conductor" Meaning it absorbs heat and "conducts" (transferes)it very fast. Where does it go to? The incoming air.
They dispute this, but fact is fact. If the intake is too hot to touch after a mile of driving then the air in it is getting hot too.

The cooler the air the more dence it is. The more dence the faster it will burn. the faster it burns the more power you will make.

Plastic is the best induction material period!
Let me know when your ready
Jay

i was one of those customers with a Prob with the JLT. but it wast the JLT, it was my mistake. after jay told me to go back and check everything(tightning the clamps down pretty good) the prob went away.my ECM is weird. ive tryd running it with out the gasket screen. and had surging/idle probs. put it back in. and no probs. its weird. other than that. i LOVE IT. thanks JAY :beer:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
Me= magnaflow C/B, JLT RAI and synthetic oil = 24 HP gain!

Nice gains!!! :thumbsup: I'd say an X-pipe puts you firmly in the 300 hp club for less than grand! :beer:

What oil are you using? There's a thread on my local board about how a guy picked up 17 hp by switching to Royal Purple oil, trans fluid and rear-end fluid!

Oopps, sorry didn't mean to hore the thread. :nonono:

SvtSmitty

Established Member
I also have a C&L due to my experience with the old 5.0s, but for this car i wish i never bought it, when i first got C&L MAF and power pipe my check engine light came on due to a lean condition until i threw predator tune in then it went away, looking to upgrade to a JLT soon

just my .02 on my experience

Users who are viewing this thread