C meets Z

Y2KSVT

Established Member
So Im out with a buddy cruising around, enjoying the crisp cool air. Not expecting to get into any trouble, we come along a familiar set of taillights. My eyes can't help but to look under that right side tail, hoping to see Z28. It was an LT1 Camaro with an aftermarket dual exhaust. We slowly make the left hand turn on the arrow. I do my best to create a clear path for the both of us. We make our way to a nice straight away where I think he might bite. I gear down into 2nd at around 45mph. He appears to do the same so I do my best to instigate a kickdown. He doesn't bite. I slow back down to his speed and pace along side him. I gear down to 2nd once again for a final attempt. He takes the bait. He drops down into what I assume to be 2nd gear and lunges forward to match my speed. I let him take the jump as my reaction time is pretty descent. I immediately kick and pull a bumper on him, hit 3rd gear and I inch forward, by the end of 3rd when we shut down, he was at my door. I creep back behind and change lanes, looking over for atleast the thumbs up, but I get nothing. I think he may have been too embarassed after what was an unexpected loss in front of his girlfriend :)

Mark

01silverstang

Established Member
Not to call BS at all I just don't see this? I car with 285hp and presumably manual as you said being beaten by a front drive car of similar proportions with only 195hp? I mean I have no idea the condition of his car of if he was an A4? But I have raced some 5.0's with similar gearing and weight, that had 225hp to my 205-210? And with 300lbs. of torque it pulled a couple cars on me....

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
Originally posted by 01silverstang
Not to call BS at all I just don't see this? I car with 285hp and presumably manual as you said being beaten by a front drive car of similar proportions with only 195hp? I mean I have no idea the condition of his car of if he was an A4? But I have raced some 5.0's with similar gearing and weight, that had 225hp to my 205-210? And with 300lbs. of torque it pulled a couple cars on me....

Your comparing Marks 195 whp to the Camaro's 285 crank hp. So in reality, Mark is putting out close to 235 crank, not to mention, we have the camaro beat by ~ 600 pounds. It was definetely a 6 speed, with most likely stock gears. You could see the front end dip down quite a bit between shifts. Mark runs a 14.4 @ 96. I think it would have been a close race.

01silverstang

Established Member
First off if he really had 235hp I'm not disputing it he wouldn't loose that much in a FWD set-up. Like I said I;m not calling BS but a LT1 with exhaust in 6-speed form is pretty mean. I would love to get an LT1 guys opinion on this. Not disputing once again just having trouble understanding...

craigs96formy

Established Member
I own an LT1 and I am not wanting to cause an arguement at all. Good kill and it may have been a close race. LT1 with an exhaust and a 6 speed can be pretty quick, I have a few friends with just a CAI and a borla cat back laying down 270rwhp and over 320rwtq though a 6 speed. Now an Auto I can say would be less. I have seen stock LT1's run in the 14.0's to 14.2's in the quarter at mid to high 90mph's. Most f-body's weigh in the region of 3500 to 3700lbs. With the mods you have I can see it being close with a stock LT1 auto, a guy that can drive a 6 speed I would say it could have a much different outcome.

Now before it gets said I am flaming I am not I am not calling BS at all. It sounds like you do have a pretty wicked Contour SVT with a 1/4 like that and I give you a thumbsup on the kill :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Mark, you're such a liar. I saw this race. Mark drove around town until he found the kid in the go-kart with a Camaro body on it that has been talking trash. Mark, 8 year olds don't count.

Haha, just kidding queer bait. Good kill.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
its not a SHO bottom end. 3.0/3.2L SHO engines were made by Yamaha. The 3.0L bottom end we use is from a 99+ Taurus 3.0L Duratec (24v)

Originally posted by 01silverstang
See my post in the M3 kill forum.... SHO bottom end, 3.0 as opposed to 2.5...making more sense!

01silverstang

Established Member
Yeah my friend said it was either an SHO block or a regular block from a new taurus. I just assumed it would have been the SHO... either way, I didn't understand that hybrid meant stroker

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I don't forsee why everyone thinksk this is hard to believe? You have a LT1 Camaro that runs low 14s stock, MAYBE a high 13, and you have a car that runs mid 14s. Both going from a roll. The camaro wins the low down (from a stop) the higher reving 24V motor 'should' win in a roll. hp v weight as well.

I raced a LT1 Camaro in my bone stock 90 SHO from a 45+ roll and had a fender on him. Is that hard to believe? NO! It happens all the time.

Originally posted by poopnut2
Hard to believe, but anything can happen. Good kill.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Re: Re: C meets Z

Originally posted by 94RX-7
approx. what year do you think it was?

Well since the GM put the LT1 in Camaro's from 93-97, my guess would be a............... 93-97 Camaro.

Granted, I pulled a 2.13 60' time with my 14.4 run, the car still runs very strong from a roll. The outcome is usually pretty similar with the 99+ Stock GT's, but I will usually pull at the top of 3rd and through 4th.

As Ryan said, this is a 3.0L bottom end of a 2000 Ford Taurus Duratec motor. Not to be mistaken for the 3.0L Vulcan Pushrod, nor the 89-95 SHO 3.0L.

As for all other factors, I can't really determine such as what cat-back he had. He had the "Texas Tips" as I like to call them, coming out the back so I assume cat-back and not just tips? Other than that, I could see him being a bad shifter and losing, but even when he was in gear, he was not realing me back in. I've seen what happens with LT1's after a lot of miles, so possibly he could use a rebuild/tune-up:shrug:

I'll take this as a win, but won't expect this to be the outcome with every stock LT1(if there are any), that's for sure.

Mark

94RX-7

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: C meets Z

Originally posted by Y2KSVT
Well since the GM put the LT1 in Camaro's from 93-97, my guess would be a............... 93-97 Camaro.
i'm kinda ignorant when it comes to camaros. thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread