c4 vs. mach 1

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
so im sitting at the local hangout/parking lot, talking to some people when a blue mach 1 rolls by and throws the revs and starts a massive burnout. sounded like at least an exhaust on the thing. so i start up my ride and go to hunt him down. when i finally find him, hes on the main drag between a few towns, and i go to get next to him. well every time i come within 5 cars of him, he floors it and takes off!?!?! its like.. i thought you wanted to race not me. but anyway i finally get next to him and start the traditonal 3 honks (which took like 4 tries because i think he was part retarded) and when we finally got off a clean run, it was like a 65 roll to about 125mph when we both shut down (because the road has a pretty nasty curve ahead... well nasty at 125 at least). but anyways i pulled 2 cars on him almost instantly (without spray) and then when we both shifted, he made up a car, and after that it was about even, w/ me a car legnth ahead. ive never really heard about those being top-end cars and obviouslly my car is pretty aerodynamic, so im guessing he had some more stuff besides an exhaust. does anybody know when those cars "hit a wall"?

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Mach1s are top end cars, as is any 4V 4.6. See my signature... I'd be willing to bet the guy couldn't drive either, judging by is ricer personality anyways. As far as "hitting a wall" goes, fourth gear puts paid to a little over 140mph. I've had mine that fast an it was pulling nicely. Fifth gear will take them to fuel shut-off which occurs at 151 for a 5 speed car that is stock.

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
you only had him by a car with those mods in your sig????? wow i bet the mach I was spraying or was boosted. a full bolt on mach wont stand a chance with your setup. your a solid 400-450 at the wheels

EDIT: i was thinking of the different TPIS cam... that cam should make near 375-400rwhp, depending on the tune and such

with cams and head work, a machI might hang somewhat well.

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Does a '96 'vette have a LT1 or L98? If it's a L98 I'm calling BS even with those mods in your sig. (minus NO2)

WhiteTxMach

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
you only had him by a car with those mods in your sig????? wow i bet he was spraying or was boosted. a full bolt on mach wont stand a chance with your setup. your a solid 400-450 at the wheels

with cams and head work, he might hang somewhat well.

Uhhhh he said he wasnt spraying

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
96 vettes are LT1's and LT4's... his should have the LT1 but has upgraded to the LT4 intake and heads from AFR

he doesnt have to spray.

with AFR heads and LT4 intake and that cam, he should be making well near the 400 rwhp mark WITHOUT the spray

Last edited:

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
it was an LT1 stock but i obviously have some other stuff done to it and it has all the LT4 stuff and as you can see from my avatar, that was where i hit a wall (before the heads and cam and intake and headders). like i said though, im guessing he had some stuff done to keep up that well, although i did not hear anything like a turbo or blower. im guessing it was sprayed, but why somebody would waste nitrous on a race like that is beyond me. i never got to talk to him, because he turned before we hit a light or something. honestly my car is pretty slow-feeling at those speeds. usually after 130, my car hits a second wind, and 0-60 is blazing. but he still impressed me. i was just wondering about the powerband around 100-150ish for those cars. my buddy has a pretty stock (intake exhaust gears) 98 cobra, which to my knowledge has a very similar engine, and his just keeps pulling until its limited, whereas my car hits a "wall" around 125~130ish, then takes off agian. i just dont know how the machs act at that speed.

btw, L98 cars arent junk either. gen 1 chevys have been around for 51 years now so there are plenty of parts to make them fast.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
96redvette said:
btw, L98 cars arent junk either. gen 1 chevys have been around for 51 years now so there are plenty of parts to make them fast.

In stock form, they're a good truck engine. That's about it in my opinion. And when it comes to modifying them... of course you can make them fast. Look at what some people do with four banger Civics...

You can make anything fast.

LT1/4s on the other hand, can be made VERY fast.

Last edited:

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
In stock form, they're a good truck engine. That's about it in my opinion. And when it comes to modifying them... of course you can make them fast. Look at what some people do with four banger Civics...

You can make anything fast.

agreed

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
i have an L98 and its ok... doesnt rev real high at all but makes good low end power and with exhaust and 2800 stall, puts me in the high 13's at 100mph. not bad for a 16 year old car and 150K miles

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
yea, you gotta think of an L98 as being an old school chevy motor, that you can do anything to, but instead of a carburator it has TPI. calling L98's junk is the same as saying any small-block chevy from 1955-1998 (in trucks) is junk. if it were junk, they wouldnt have made 800 billion of them

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
the only reason L98 can be called junk is cuz the induction system.. TPI... sucks. LOL its long runner design makes torque and low rpm power. it wont rev over 5grand without serious port work in a aftermarket setup. and on 383+ inch motors, its rpm range is even more so shortened. LOL the heads kinda suck too tho. the aluminum L98's are alright but need a good port job. they can feed a 12 second car which aint bad

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
yes, but you gotta keep in mind when they were designed. C.A.F.E. standards were pushing manufactures to make more efficent vechiles. the one way that engineers knew how to increase fuel economy was to lower revs/min by using lower gear ratios 2.73, etc... with that low of gearing they had to make a motor with enough power to pull through the gears, so they made a motor with assloads of torque at low revs, and no power up high. they did it to save gas.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Stock Machs run in the mid 13's. Lightly moded Machs run the low 13's. Full bolt on Machs, with gears, run in the 12's. Supercharged and nitrous Machs run in the 11's and high 10's.

I'm running in the low 11's. The only Vette I've run that was able to hang with me was a cammed 02 Z06. He was fast as shit. :bowdown: :burnout:

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
believe it or not, i ran an lt1 corvette when i was almost stock ( i had a cai, pro 5.0 shifter and 3.73's) and from a 30 mph roll, not only did i hang with him, i pulled about half a car length on him. mind you, it was only till about 70 before he gave up. i never found out what he had, but to be totally honest with you , the car had seen better days. i didnt care though, it was my very first real race with a car that was worthy, and i can power shift like nobodys business, especially when my bullitt's reputation is on the line. i shifted that bugger like i stole it. true story- you guys would of been proud, especially since he revved at me first. he had a passenger and so did i- my wife: the whole time she was screaming at me, but you know what? at the end of it, she was moist, and we had a good time that night, if you know what i mean. i explained to her that as long as i could help it, i had to defend my mustangs honour! and to this day, i have heard her tell this story to so many of her friends, it's not even funny.. or maybe it is. women are so funny, they'll tell you to do one thing, but love it when you take charge and do another.... as long as you win!

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
oh and another thing, i know my car is a lowly 2v, but if the driver is a frickin maniac and willing to do whatever it takes to save face, well anything can happen! i'll guarantee you that punk will think twice before he tries that again. i never seen him after that; he turned off onto another street after that run..and btw, it was on a desserted street with no one in sight, i wouldn't ever race with any public in view. but the planets were aligned just right, and i just had to... you understand!

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
meaty, sounds like you had fun LOL

still, i think the mach was spraying a mild shot or was fully modded to hang with a LT1 converted to LT4 intake with those mods. thats good for high 370-390rwhp in a stick and should do 11's on good tires at the high 1-teens

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
meaty, sounds like you had fun LOL

still, i think the mach was spraying a mild shot or was fully modded to hang with a LT1 converted to LT4 intake with those mods. thats good for high 370-390rwhp in a stick and should do 11's on good tires at the high 1-teens

Why do you think that? You are totally guessing at what his RWHP is, and you have no idea what the mach had. Please stop assuming. A C4 vette is a good race for an auto mach stock -4- stock. If this mach was a lightly modded M5, then i can see him hanging this close. And as the saying goes, anything can happen on the street.

Nice kill red. Anyone doing a ricer drive by throwing a rev. had better have some good, if they want to call someone out. I hate that ****y mentality, but then again, I have been known to do it from time to time. LOL

BTW red - there are quite a few differences between the 98 4v and the mach 4v. Sure they are 4v modulars, but that is about all.

Last edited:

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
couldnt have said it better ponygt.
just to tell you guys that dont know... all 96 lt1 vettes are auto, and so is mine, i have a transgo shit kit mind you, but it is auto. all lt4's are manual.
the mach was a 5 speed (or the guy liked to do alot of neutral drops).
and stock for stock i think he could take me, cause stock i ran 13.9xx @99-100mph times
but at the tracks i go to, it never seems like pepole get as good of times as people say they should get, or what other people say they should get. i guess people like to talk it up at the track. but you cant lie there... a 2.2 60' means you suck at driving, not that yer car is slow.

and about the 98- mach comparison.... i wasnt sure that they were the same,all i knew is that they were both 4.6 dohc motors. i was just throwing that out there for comparitive sake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread