c5 vs 04 Mach 1

98gt281

Established Member
Most likely the C5, but the Mach would put up a good fight. From a roll at certain speeds the mach might be able to edge out a win.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
3,230 lb C-5 Corvette 345hp 350lb-ft or torque VS. 3,465lb Mach 1 305hp 320lb-ft torque.

I like my Mach but my moneys on the Vette.

John and Renae

Established Member
Having just dynoe'd my Mach yesterday with nothing more than a pair of 2chamber flows in the stock pipes, I made 270rwhp and 292rwtq (95degoutside). With a 12% driveline loss that give me 307 and 331 respectfully at the flywheel.
I would still be giving up 30 hp and 20 lb ft of torque. I would have to give the edge to the vette. Especially since we can reasonably assume since our cars are a little underrated so are the c-5's...

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Having had this experience with a stock auto c5, i was at his door all the way to 120. I was bone stock at the time. I was powershifting aswell. I took him by a car or so off the line. Everytime i shifted i was gaining ground. We got out of it at 120.

WhiteTxMach

Established Member
cobra46 said:
vette. and if you run into a z06 vette your in alot of shit

Better hope that Z06 isnt stock, otherwise he will be in a lot of shit if he wants to try his luck with me. ;-)

Cobra4pt6

Banned
03azuremach said:
Having had this experience with a stock auto c5, i was at his door all the way to 120. I was bone stock at the time. I was powershifting aswell. I took him by a car or so off the line. Everytime i shifted i was gaining ground. We got out of it at 120.

if you took him by a car off the line and was dead even at his door all the way to 120, means the only time you gained ground was off the line other than that, the c5 reeled you in.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
the reason i posted this thread was because i have a buddy with a 5spd '98 mustang GT w/ an '03 mustang GT motor and full bolt ons. from a low roll before he swapped from shorty headers to longtubes and on drag radials, he ran door to door with a stock '04 mach 1 from a low roll and stop. im guessing he's making about 270-280rwhp now after the LT header install and diablo chip. before the LTs and diablo chip, he ran a 13.6 @ 103 on tires.
i just bought a '03 c5 a4 and he thinks he can beat me from a dig and a roll with him on drag radials..... my c5 (2 weeks old) is no longer stock. i've added an x-pipe, b&b catback, halltech stinger r intake, and predator tune.
he calls my c5 slow and when i threaten to pull out the snake on him he says im cheating b/c the snake isn't NA.

Last edited:

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
I raced a a4 C5 last night, got the 1-2 shift perfect then missed the 2-3 but through second he didnt pull an inch.

machone

NA power
Established Member
I raced a c5, i got liek a foot on him in first and second, i was driving REALLY good that night. After that it was ALL vette.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Cobra4pt6 said:
if you took him by a car off the line and was dead even at his door all the way to 120, means the only time you gained ground was off the line other than that, the c5 reeled you in.

You could also look at it this way..........the 1/4 mile line would have been way before the 120 mph mark.

IMO - this would be a drivers race. Both cars run roughly the same times, with the vette having the slight edge on average. If the cars were racing themselves then the obvious chooice would be the vette. But, every car needs to be driven, hence my drivers race answer.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
results - i ran his mustang GT this afternoon, the race was unexpected and the temp outside was 101 degrees. well from a 40 roll i pulled him by 1 car shutting down at 110.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
usmcmach1 said:
Mach down low, then its all Vette up top

Are you crazy? A mach might get out on the dig (solid axle), but it is giving up a LOT in the torque department down low. Those LS1s put out excellent torque all the way around. An LS1 isn't like an n/a 4.6 where you have to rev it to get the power.

Sorry, but driver's being equal, a stock C5 should should whip a stock Mach 1. Not only is it up 40 HP and 30 torque, but it weighs 200 lbs less. And the faster you go, the uglier it gets because of aerodynamics.

Cobra4pt6, you should have put more than a car on him from 40-110. Sounds like you need some more seat time.

edit: Can't remember if the C5 is LS1, LS2, or what, so if I called it the wrong thing, my bad.

Last edited:

usmcmach1

Established Member
lemosley-- Remember we're talking about an auto C5, which is kinda a dog off the line, the Mach though (with a good driver) is pretty damn quick. From experiance, the Mach can hold off much faster cars (03 Cobras) til the top of 2nd or bottom of third (before the flame war begins-- then they whoop the hell outta me) The vette on the other hand has problems with F-Bodies from a stop but pulls harder than them up top.

P.S my Mach made at the FLYWHEEL 333hp, 348tq which is versus the Vettes 350/350
The Mach isn't hurting for torque, it loses because of the weight, gearing, and aero of a Vette

Interspy24

Established Member
usmcmach1 said:
lemosley-- Remember we're talking about an auto C5, which is kinda a dog off the line, the Mach though (with a good driver) is pretty damn quick.

Agreed. I have a 96 cobra with bolt-ons and have run an auto c5 numerous times. A friend of mine has a 99 with a lid and exhaust. We raced from a dig, from 5-10, 20, and 40. I wasn't powershifting and was still ahead when we shut down at 120mph. Granted my gears gave me a good jump, but he never made up the distance. :coolman:

I think the newer ones with the different cam and ls6 intake might be a different story though.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i just rechecked the settings in my predator. the axle ratio was set at 3.42 and there was no timing or shifting changes in the stock predator tune. i modified the tuning parameters and set the axle ratio to the correct ratio of 3.15 and i bumped timing up 3%, increased spark 2%, leaned the a/f out 2%, increased shift pressure by 4% and decreased shift time by 3%. the car runs ALOT stronger than from the base settings, and according to other fellow vette owners, thses are conservative settings. i'll wait until i go to the track on wednesday to get a little more aggressive with the settings.

yea i should have pulled harder than him but i had a 150lb passenger in my car and he was the only person in his car. but im not making up any excuses, b/c "it's run what you brung" and i had just enough to secure the win.

Last edited:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
Interspy24 said:
Agreed. I have a 96 cobra with bolt-ons and have run an auto c5 numerous times. A friend of mine has a 99 with a lid and exhaust. We raced from a dig, from 5-10, 20, and 40. I wasn't powershifting and was still ahead when we shut down at 120mph. Granted my gears gave me a good jump, but he never made up the distance. :coolman:

I think the newer ones with the different cam and ls6 intake might be a different story though.

the 2000 model c5s had the most aggressive camshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread