C5 Z06 Question

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Edit--

A kid in town has a C/I/E C5 Z06. He talks nonstop about his vette will never lose to a Mustang blah blah blah. With my mods listed below will I have a shot at this? I don't have new numbers yet for my set-up and I just heard he is at 430 HP or so from a friend that saw a dyno sheet.

Just curious to any info you all could provide on what to expect.

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
Probably not. Depending on how extreme (or not) the cam and heads are, he is pushing somewhere in the 460-480rwhp with a car that weighs several hundred pounds less than you. Anything can happen on the street obviously, but on paper he has you, especially as speeds climb.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
yeah the drag cofficient alone on the C5 is way better than the Mustang by a lot! Best you could hope for is he misses shifts, lol.

Last edited:

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
C5 Z06's are really that mean? I guess it might be time for the NO2

Last edited:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
C5 Z06's are really that mean? I guess it maybe time for the NO2

well we could sit here and spout out all #'s all day. 1/4 11.9sec etc...but here is a link from wiki, edmunds might have something too. Z06 actually has better drag coefficient than reg C5's, 0.29! That's nuts as opposed to our 0.37 or whatever it is.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_Z06"]Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
I plan on racing him. It's always fun to mess around and the temps are starting to fall here so that will help me! I wanted to Saturday night but it dumped rain on us. I just figured I'd ask since some of you have experiences with simular cars.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Well crap! Oh well, it will still be fun... Maybe I should have looked into the vettes a little more when I bought the cobra. I just love the SC and the back seat! I should be a little over 500HP with my mods so I hope I can at least give him a scare. He thinks all Mustangs are like the stck GT's that run around here...

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Please get it on video tape. The shit talking before the race, then the race as it happens, and the shit talking and excuses after the race. :dancenana:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Well crap! Oh well, it will still be fun... Maybe I should have looked into the vettes a little more when I bought the cobra. I just love the SC and the back seat! I should be a little over 500HP with my mods so I hope I can at least give him a scare. He thinks all Mustangs are like the stck GT's that run around here...

Get a 75 or 100 shot and have your car tuned. Then race him. :coolman:

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
I will try to see if anyone has a digital camcorder. I just hate how the kid (20ish) is. He lives with his parents who are well off so he get's all kinds of stuff. He was talking mad crap about how slow all mustangs are and how he has spanked everyone that he has raced. Like I said we only have GT's here. He took a picture of the front of his car and put it on one of the motivational posters that said... Mustang owners, this is what the front of a Corvette looks like ... and had his friend hang it on my desk. I actually found the picture funny! It made me laugh to come in and see it. Win or lose I will have fun.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I will try to see if anyone has a digital camcorder. I just hate how the kid (20ish) is. He lives with his parents who are well off so he get's all kinds of stuff. He was talking mad crap about how slow all mustangs are and how he has spanked everyone that he has raced. Like I said we only have GT's here. He took a picture of the front of his car and put it on one of the motivational posters that said... Mustang owners, this is what the front of a Corvette looks like ... and had his friend hang it on my desk. I actually found the picture funny! It made me laugh to come in and see it. Win or lose I will have fun.

Ok well if you have to run him before you get spray then find a way to afford some 16" wheels and get some MT Drag radials. Go from a dig if you can or go from a 1st gear roll. If you are able to get this race I'd put my money on you if you can drive. :rolling:

I'd say do not run him from a roll. Try to find out where he got his car tuned at and see if you can find out what it made. :D

AaronK

Established Member
Man, you are not going to have a problem at all. Let this guy know that he can run me whenever he wants to, roll, dig, doesn't matter.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Man, you are not going to have a problem at all.

Yup, 480rwhp 3100 lbs + superior gearing + superior aerodynamics vs 480rwhp 3600lbs...I can see how the cobra is not going to have any problems at all given equal drivers and no missed shifts :bored:

AaronK

Established Member
Yup, 480rwhp 3100 lbs + superior gearing + superior aerodynamics vs 480rwhp 3600lbs...I can see how the cobra is not going to have any problems at all given equal drivers and no missed shifts :bored:

I love bench racing! I make 480rwhp and weigh much more than a vette with sucky gearing and aerodynamics but have never lost to a vette under 500rwhp :dw: ... it just doesn't add up! Oh no! Maybe I just keep racing all the sucky vette drivers in the world ;-) that's what everyone keeps telling me anyways lol

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
IMaybe I just keep racing all the sucky vette drivers in the world

Must be, because the two, with the same power has the C5Z bitch slapping the Cobra. This assumes that a zombie isn't driving the Z.

No b.s. bench racing or bias here, just good ole physics.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Did any of you guys read the original post? He says the car is a C/I/E car making around 430rwhp, why are you all talking about 460-480rwhp? A cam only car is actually pretty strong to be making 430rwhp with stock heads. With that being said with your mods you should walk all over him.

Your car with those mods should be 520-530rwhp easily giving you almost 100rwhp on him, should be an easy win provided you have a good tune making the power you should.

Users who are viewing this thread