c5 z06 vs c6

modthispny

Established Member
i went to a car meet today, and 2 of my buddies raced their vettes.

50th anniversary, i think either 2003 or 2004 c5 z06, vs a 2005 c6, 6mt, with z51.

both are very good drivers, but i was very shocked at the race results.

from about 40-130 the c5 z06 put about 4-5 cars on the c6

1st gear roll was even until third because the c5 z06 had trouble gaining traction, but as soon as he hooked in third he started to walk the c6 and put multiple car lengths by around 130.

when we went back and told the rest of the guys, everybody was uber-surprised.

they weigh practically the same, have same hp/tq figures, but where the hell does the 4-5 car discrepancy come from?

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
if both cars are completely bone stock, then that shouldn't of happened. tell your friend with the C6 to check his car out

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
driver mod and factory tuning, the 05-07 C6's use torque management on the manual transmissions too, as where the ZO6 never had it.....:shrug:

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Lol, when you said you were shocked I thought you were going to say the C6 won. Based on other vids I have seen the C5Z pulls the C6 by a bit. We have a friend that has a C6 that never wants to run our Z, he always says you'll beat me (go figure)

Robz

Established Member
modthispny said:
i went to a car meet today, and 2 of my buddies raced their vettes.

50th anniversary, i think either 2003 or 2004 c5 z06, vs a 2005 c6, 6mt, with z51.

both are very good drivers, but i was very shocked at the race results.

from about 40-130 the c5 z06 put about 4-5 cars on the c6

1st gear roll was even until third because the c5 z06 had trouble gaining traction, but as soon as he hooked in third he started to walk the c6 and put multiple car lengths by around 130.

when we went back and told the rest of the guys, everybody was uber-surprised.

they weigh practically the same, have same hp/tq figures, but where the hell does the 4-5 car discrepancy come from?

The main reason is likely torque management. The c5Z has some but the c6 platform has a much more intrusive amount apparently programmed into the car to prevent breakage. This has been demonstrated on spreadsheets of numerous 1/4 mile passes on same-similar track/DA/driver.
Many of us who have studied the data and driven these cars for several years contribute this discrepancy to more intrusive torque management on the c6's. Of course the driver mod always comes into play.
The simple solution for the c6 is to get it tuned out.

bunk22

Established Member
Sounds about right to me. I've run at least 4 different stock or near stock C5Z's and they are just quicker stock than you LS2 C6..........for the reasons mentioned above.

71stang99

Established Member
The tune made a world of difference in mine, course that was done along with other mods but before the tune you could almost feel the car holding back when getting on it.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Yup... the LS2 computer is a Tq killer when stock. I've read posts where an LS2 car slows down by 3-5 mph in the quarter in hot-laps, presumably due to torque management because the motor and/or trans is getting hot.

GTO30272

Established Member
I don't know why you and your friends were surprised. It has been proven over and over that stock for stock the C5Z will beat a C6 every time unless major driver error. Reasons already posted. I don't think anyone has put a C6 deeper than mid 12's yet.

GTO30272

Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
Huh... I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned gears. :shrug:

That is b/c the gears are the same in 1st - 4th. 1st 2.97:1, 2nd 2.07:1, 3rd 1.43:1, 4th 1.00:1. Only the overdrive gears are different, and both come with 3.42 gears in the rear.

OdessitPashka

Established Member
GTO30272 said:
That is b/c the gears are the same in 1st - 4th. 1st 2.97:1, 2nd 2.07:1, 3rd 1.43:1, 4th 1.00:1. Only the overdrive gears are different, and both come with 3.42 gears in the rear.

I always thought that C5Z came with a M12 tranny that had more agressive 1st through 3rd gears???

bunk22

Established Member
GTO30272 said:
I don't know why you and your friends were surprised. It has been proven over and over that stock for stock the C5Z will beat a C6 every time unless major driver error. Reasons already posted. I don't think anyone has put a C6 deeper than mid 12's yet.

Well, 12.2's so far. Good track and weather helped but that certainly isn't the norm. Not my time either.

Robz

Established Member
OdessitPashka said:
I always thought that C5Z came with a M12 tranny that had more agressive 1st through 3rd gears???

It does but 4th gear is 1:1 and some people feel the m6 is slightly better for drag racing.
The m12 will make it easier to get better 60" time but the rpms drop so much on the 3 -4 that you lose what you gained. A difficult thing to prove unless you could swap the trannys right there on the track and then you'd have to get in many runs to rule out driver errors.
I think it's safe to assume they are pretty close in straight line performance.

CobraRyan

Banned
A c5z06 will walk away from a c6 just as hard as it does on a well driven stock cobra....at least 2 cars up to 130

C6 Vette

Established Member
CobraRyan said:
A c5z06 will walk away from a c6 just as hard as it does on a well driven stock cobra....at least 2 cars up to 130

They seem to ET about .2-.3 faster than a C6 with equal drivers...They trap within a couple mph within each other.......I would say a C6 is closer to a C5Z than a stock Cobra....

GTO30272

Established Member
"The Tremec is available with two sets of ratios. The more aggressive gear set is reserved for Corvette’s Z51 Performance Package and is tailored with numerically higher gears to improve acceleration."
"It features gear ratios borrowed from the previous Corvette Z06 for maximum acceleration performance..."

The C6 Z51 has the same 1-4 gears as the C5Z which is why there is no difference in gearing as far as drag racing is concerned. The standard C5 MN6 is the same ratios as the non-Z51.

GTO30272

Established Member
bunk22 said:
Well, 12.2's so far. Good track and weather helped but that certainly isn't the norm. Not my time either.

12.2X is very quick. I did not know this and would be very curious if this was in fact bone stock with no ecu changes. Either way, thanks for the heads up and if it is in fact box stock, mighty impressive to whoever accomplished it.

Users who are viewing this thread