c5z vs SL63 amg

makevelie187

Established Member
for once in my life i saw a younger guy driving an sl63 amg, which was surprising because of the price of those cars. Car appeared to be stock on some nice rims. while in the coming minutes of rush hour traffic he pulls up next to me after i passed him a few exits back. Throws out his hand and waves it down to lower the speed. I was like wow here we go thats what im talking about. Dropped it down to 40 2nd gear. slammed it all the way up to 4th. His front end was at the middle of my car as we approached traffic. shutdown. good race.

Weird enough his car smoked really bad when he slammed on the breaks. Come to find out as he passes me to get off the exit his front tire blew out when slamming on the breaks i imagine from rubbing the body his car was slammed!

Little side note the sl63 only has about 15 more hp than an sl55 amg and i really put a beating on sl55's so it was interesting to see this car keep up so well!

Race seemed right 516ish hp sl, vs my 400"RWHP" c5Z,

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Little side note the sl63 only has about 15 more hp than an sl55 amg and i really put a beating on sl55's so it was interesting to see this car keep up so well!

Race seemed right 516ish hp sl, vs my 400"RWHP" c5Z,

Uh, no. SL65s had 612 in 04 and 661 in 08.

You raced something else for sure. I'm guessing an SL600.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Uh, no. SL65s had 612 in 04 and 661 in 08.

You raced something else for sure. I'm guessing an SL600.

Umm.....

Where did you get SL65 from? The SL63 had 518 HP V8. The SL55 was the Supercharged 5.5. SL63 replaced the the SL55. :poke: SL65 is another beast.

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Seems about right. The SL63's are beasts for sure. I've had a lot of seat time in them both and the SL63's feel completely different than the SL55's. The 55's were supercharged, so they feel faster from a dead stop because of the instant torque of the supercharger. The SL63 honestly doesn't feel as fast as an SL55 because of the torque, but in reality, they're definitely faster. The power is just applied much smoother over the powerband. Good run, they're sick cars.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Seems about right. The SL63's are beasts for sure. I've had a lot of seat time in them both and the SL63's feel completely different than the SL55's. The 55's were supercharged, so they feel faster from a dead stop because of the instant torque of the supercharger. The SL63 honestly doesn't feel as fast as an SL55 because of the torque, but in reality, they're definitely faster. The power is just applied much smoother over the powerband. Good run, they're sick cars.

My 55 AMG sources think otherwise. Either way after a pulley change on the 55, there is no contest.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Idk, I would've thought the SL55 to be the faster one. Reminds me of the whole E55 vs E63. E55 was the faster car even with its less power but because of the instant power, a bit lighter and enormous tq in low end. The only times I would see it lose was when it would heat soak which is probably the reason why the O.P was able to blow the doors off the SL55. I'm sure the SL55 is slightly faster. Either way good kill!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Umm.....

Where did you get SL65 from? The SL63 had 518 HP V8. The SL55 was the Supercharged 5.5. SL63 replaced the the SL55. :poke: SL65 is another beast.

You are 100% correct. I saw SL6 and must have put a 5 in the 3's place. My fault.

Sorry OP.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Good run!

About younger guys owning fancy cars, there are a lot of them! I do work for a guy that owns an '08 Maserati GTS, '09 MB GL550 and had a '06 F430 Spyder. I contacted him last week and said he recently sold the F430 and purchased something else and won't say what it is, I have to go see it:D

RideThePONY

Say what?
Established Member
Good run!

About younger guys owning fancy cars, there are a lot of them! I do work for a guy that owns an '08 Maserati GTS, '09 MB GL550 and had a '06 F430 Spyder. I contacted him last week and said he recently sold the F430 and purchased something else and won't say what it is, I have to go see it:D

We'll damn wtf does he do?! Lol to the op nice run in, don't get a chance at those things too often.

makevelie187

Established Member
We'll damn wtf does he do?! Lol to the op nice run in, don't get a chance at those things too often.

Right? thats what made this run so much fun.9/10 times its an older person that will never even push that car to its limits and i always ask why did u buy the amg series lol, i guess the same can go for older guys driving cobras and z06's though haha

Users who are viewing this thread