CA LEO's- Driving w/Fog Lights Only = Ticket?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
My buddy from work drives a late model charger. He mentioned to me today that he got pulled over and ticketed worth $270 for driving with "Fog Lights ON" (headlights off). I'm still scratching my head, I always drive with fog lights or head lights on/off or vise versa and have never had a problem. Didn't know this was illegal in CA (Los Angeles Metro Area). What does the law say, is it illegal to drive with only fog lights on in CA?:shrug:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
ok, ive got a silly question...why do people do this??? ive never understood why you would want to use your fog lights instead of headlights...they arent as bright and dont project much of a beam for distance

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
The vehicle code states you can use your fog lights, however only in conjunction with your primary headlights.

Understood.
While on the subject of fog lights, I have noticed that a vast majority of vehicles produced now a day have a second what looks to be "AMBER" driving light as one unit with the fog light or housing split in half (half fog light, half "amber", sometimes not in the fog, but in the front quarter lights). Example most GM vehicles, Corvettes, Firebirds, some Toyotas and Cadillacs. They seem to go on during the day and off at night. I have a 96 SVT whit fog lights from the factory that only come on when used with the headlights. I modded the fog light switch to make the fogs go on or off independently. If I put an "AMBER" bulb in the housing would I still be violating the law since the light is no longer white but "AMBER"? I just want to be more visible considering all the crazies in LA fwys/roads.

ok, ive got a silly question...why do people do this??? ive never understood why you would want to use your fog lights instead of headlights...they arent as bright and dont project much of a beam for distance

I do it to be more visible, but now that I know it is a violation running with only fog's I won't do it, unless an "AMBER" light/bulb in the fog light housing is ok as a driving light.

removed by moderator - op requested L.E.O.s only

Yes you are correct sorry for the miss info but he mentioned he got it during the day.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
The fog lights on the Cobras (and Lightnings) are designed to operate from the factory in conjuntion with the headlights. Altering the color of the bulb will not "legalize" their usage in solo mode.

Believe me, I owned three Cobras and two Lightnings - I also would have liked to have run them by themselves but rules are rules!

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
The fog lights on the Cobras (and Lightnings) are designed to operate from the factory in conjuntion with the headlights. Altering the color of the bulb will not "legalize" their usage in solo mode.

Believe me, I owned three Cobras and two Lightnings - I also would have liked to have run them by themselves but rules are rules!

So the "Amber Driving Light" would have had to come from the factory like the vehicles described above to be legal, understood. I also understand that a fog light would reflect light differently than those designed already in the newer cars as described above. But, what exactly makes the newer lights ("Amber Driving Light") legal as opposed to dropping in an "amber" bulb and getting an aftermarket cover to help scatter light on a fog light as a Factory Driving Light does? Hope this makes sense......just trying to understand the details of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread