CAI and 2.8 pulley ONLY - no tune? Timing?

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Has anybody done a 2.8" pulley without a tune? (Just colder plugs gaped down.) I have nothing but a K&N FIPK and made 404 RWHP, but want more. A local shop said the stock tune is both rich and conservative about timing, and that many tuners actually advance the timing when doing a pulley swap, so they told me I could do a 2.8 without a tune (they did say that beyond that point, I should get a tune).

I blew a head gasket on a centrifugal 5.0 by running too much timing, so I don't want to repeat that.

I see 22 degrees of timing a lot in the forums - what is stock timing?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I don't know if it's a must, but to get the most out of it a tune would be recommended. Have the shop throw it on the dyno and see what the stock tune looks like with the 2.8, but that is a small pulley to not have a tune. I have heard of it being done before with a 3.1 but a 2.8 is really pushing it.

Josh

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
Tune is a must. If you add the pulley with no tune you lose 50hp. My buddy tried it on his. If you cant get a tune then you are not ready for the pulley.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I have heard of it being done before with a 3.1 but a 2.8 is really pushing it.

Josh

right, the 2.8 is too much boost for the stock tune. As for timing, its true tunners do go more aggresive even with higher than stock boost, but there also requiring 93oct fuel.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
i just had mine tuned at Anderson ford and they used a diablosport performance tune with pulley (canned tune that comes with it) we ran it once and all numbbers were right on and conservative. we then tweaked that 4 or 5 more times with pulls in between and go an addition 30 more hp on top of that. So if you dont use the dyno i would at least get a diablosport or sct and throw on a canned tune

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Just as an FYI...when I swapped to a 2.76 pulley (basically the same as a 2.80)
my A/F shot up to 15:1.

Whoever told you that you don't need a tune with a 2.80 pulley should never
touch a car again.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I just read up about the E kit...not bad I guess if you're really close to stock. There is quite a few upgrades you can do to the kit as well but I am not sure if it is worth the money to upgrade everything....and I haven't heard anything about the Moto Blue coils they give you either.

Users who are viewing this thread