CAI/RAI that fits under your STB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
In my quest for the best ram air intake that will fit under the strut tower bar found in this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292624&highlight=intake I settled on the following pieces...

WMS Velocity tube (ceramic coated)
http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?WMS-VET96CCER
$105

Accufab 80mm MAF Filter Adapter
http://www.accufabracing.com/general.htm#MassAir
$40

UPR 9" Conical air filter with the 4" inlet, NOT 3.5"
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=755
$40

9bme_lrg.gif
MassAirAptJ.jpg
wms-vet96c.jpg

Everything went together perfectly and holy hell did it make a difference over the BBK CAI! I can definitely tell a big difference in throttle responce and a slight difference in power. With the BBK CAI there was this half second delay when I'd punch the throttle and when free revving the car it was most noticable, you would hear the sucking through a straw sound then there'd be this awkward pause before the motor jumped to live and started revving.
Now as soon as I punch the throttle the motor just explodes and starts screaming towards redline, it makes double clutching soo much quicker.
As far as a seat of the pants difference, I swear to god I'm not imagining it and I definitely do feel the car pulling a bit harder and revving quicker towards redline now as I bang through the gears.

Intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg

Before...
Install1.jpg

During...
Install2.jpg

Install3.jpg

Install4.jpg

After...
Install5.jpg

Intake3.jpg

I tried this with a Maximum Motorsports strut tower bar and it will not clear, it does clear the stock STB just fine.

And NO, I'm not going to clean my dirty ass engine bay, to be honest, I like it like that! I'm not entering this dam thing in any beauty contests, I drive it hard and put it away wet, I have enough trouble keeping the outside of the dam thing half clean I don't have any time or patience for the inside :)

Here it is with the STB back on...

STB.jpg

Close.jpg

I almost forgot, I ran the car hard as hell today and then stopped and put my hand on the WMS velocity tube, it was warm but by no means hot and my jaw just dropped! If I limped the car around with the BBK intake then did the same test I'd burn the shit out of my hand, it was AWFUL.

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Thanks for the info Ciotti! That's exactly what I've been looking for. I've been dieing to get a CAI but refuse to lose my STB. Great find!

mystic venom

Established Member
I did basically the same thing only used the jlt filter and adapter mated to the maf and then:beer: the WMS. I believe your parts list may have been a little cheaper though, but basically a 9 inch filter mated to the WMS. It is snug but it fits!

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I like it! Also glad to hear it doesn't hold the heat. Mine is stock but I had a BBK on my old 5.0 and you could cook on it. You mention that you are using a MM STB. Will this setup work with the factory STB? Is there a shield for the air filter to deflect the heat from the engine or is this a non issue?

mystic venom

Established Member
4VCobraSVT said:
I like it! Also glad to hear it doesn't hold the heat. Mine is stock but I had a BBK on my old 5.0 and you could cook on it. You mention that you are using a MM STB. Will this setup work with the factory STB? Is there a shield for the air filter to deflect the heat from the engine or is this a non issue?

Got my shield from JLT, black plastic, don't know that it does anything, though.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
This set up will actually not work with the MM STB, it will only work with the stock STB.

The heat shields do very very litte so I don't even bother using one, I'd rather have as much free air around the filter as possible that it can suck in :)

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Thanks Ciotti! I actually ordered the filter and Velocity tube last night online but the filter adapter has to be phoned or faxed in to order.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Just got off the phone with Accufab and the adapter will be shipped tomorrow, the air filter and velocity tube went out today. Great service by all three companys.
4VCobraSVT said:
Thanks Ciotti! I actually ordered the filter and Velocity tube last night online but the filter adapter has to be phoned or faxed in to order.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
4VCobraSVT said:
Just got off the phone with Accufab and the adapter will be shipped tomorrow, the air filter and velocity tube went out today. Great service by all three companys.

I know right??? I had the same experience, WMS, UPR, and Accufab were super helpful and definitely had their shit together when I called them with questions and to order, and all 3 shipped real quick.

ReDbALLs

show me the face!
Established Member
nice write up and pics, i am in the same boat, the exact same bbk intake, god that thing sucks but i fell for shiny shit.....ordering parts now!!!!!!
-chris

XR8XTC

Established Member
Damn! How big is the wms velocity tube 3.5''? If so it will make same power as UPR RAI system right?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
It is 3.5" and will make simmilar power to the UPR Power Tube, I went with the WMS set up because the tube itself has a heat resistant ceramic coating vs. the UPR Power Tube's powder coating and because I could fit a 9" conical filter on the WMS tube vs. the UPR's 6" conical. Will those 2 things make a difference in power? probably not but I did have fun piecing the kit together and it's nice to have another option in RAI's isn't it?

XR8XTC

Established Member
True but I noticed the RAI is of the menu at upr so I checked ebay and got one from there but I was wondering if there is a power enhancer filter from upr to replace the 6'' big mouth filter that comes with the upr RAI?
BTW can I get a heat shield to fit my RAI 6'' filter and if so will it fit if I get the enhancer filter??

Last edited:

dru440

Established Member
just ordered my stuff too... anyone dyno this? out of all the cold air intake setups i have seen this is the best one... its too bad no one makes one like this... and its really the cheapest and best quality .. other than the wms( for quality but not price) ... anyone have dyno results? haha

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I don't have dyno results, but I did pick up a tenth and a whole mile an hour at the track when I switched over from my BBK to this set up. I think I could have picked up another tenth and another mile an hour if I had run the car down the track as good as I was last year. Unfortunately now this god dam T-45 is screwed again so I'll never know as it is being replaced with a T-56 so it won't be a good comparison any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread