CAI/Strut tower question (vert guys)

Rotzs99

Established Member
So down to the point...I hate how much my car rattles/shakes. So far on my quest to eliminate the rattles i have installed...(some of these might not help or hurt, but suspension work nonetheless)

Eibach pro-kit
03/04 coupe shocks
MM full length subframes
Full alignment/balance

Now I think i want a STB to eliminate some cowl shake. Vert guys - does it really help to get one? and 2, I would have to get rid of my JLT, are there any nice CAIs that fit under a STB. WMS probably would, any others?

ynotsvt

SVT
Established Member
WMS im pretty sure does, the carbon fiber jlt does but thats too much $$$ for me, BBK might.. not sure, K&N and steeda do. I have a JLT also and was considering getting the WMS peice that goes from the TB to MAF and using the filter and adapter from my JLT, I want a STB too. lol

92 Couper

Established Member
I have the Maximum Motorsports STB on mine along with similar mods to what you have already done (except I use H&R race springs). The STB was a great addition and I do not have any cowl shake. I used the JLT carbon fiber CAI to get under the STB. IT was pricey, but I am happy with it.

cobra09.jpg

VNEMUS

Established Member
same here, vert running the MMSTB and the JLT Carbon Fiber CAI. If I had to choose between the MMSTB or the CAI, I'd definitely go with the MMSTB. Other than looking good, the CAI doesn't give a noticeable SOP power increase IMHO.:rollseyes
IMG_2419.gif

Rotzs99

Established Member
same here, vert running the MMSTB and the JLT Carbon Fiber CAI. If I had to choose between the MMSTB or the CAI, I'd definitely go with the MMSTB. Other than looking good, the CAI doesn't give a noticeable SOP power increase IMHO.:rollseyes

I know, but its one of only 3 mods that gives me power:cryying:

Thanks for the info, ill look into that carbon fiber job.

zPipes

Established Member
maybe dumb question but could the shake be caused by tires or maybe an alignment, cc plates might help i suppose.

then again man, we dont buy cobras to ride like cadillacs. . its a muscle car and personally i like feeling the road. the stiff suspension, the roar of the exhaust.. and especially the force of the motor when its let loose!

Rotzs99

Established Member
maybe dumb question but could the shake be caused by tires or maybe an alignment, cc plates might help i suppose.

then again man, we dont buy cobras to ride like cadillacs. . its a muscle car and personally i like feeling the road. the stiff suspension, the roar of the exhaust.. and especially the force of the motor when its let loose!

lol, it is absolutely not the tires or alignment, just had it done last week, both. Rides better, but over bumps it does not feel good.

I'm not looking for a cadillac, but its a 99, built with a '79 chassis.

And another thing YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA!!! Take a drive in Chicago one time and see what these "roads" do to a convertible.

cobraracer46

Banned
So down to the point...I hate how much my car rattles/shakes.

Now I think i want a STB to eliminate some cowl shake. Vert guys - does it really help to get one?

I don't think A strut tower brace will solve the cowl shake problem. My convertible is completely rattle free and very sold and it deos not have a strut tower brace. I did install an in car frame kit( lower sub frames, interoir sub frames sunk in and welded inside the car, bulkhead stiffeners...) and a weld in 4 point roll bar.

For your car, I would recommend tossing the light bar into the dumpster and replacing it with a weld in roll bar and then adding a frame kit. Finally, I would get all the parts from Griggs Racing.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I don't think A strut tower brace will solve the cowl shake problem. My convertible is completely rattle free and very sold and it deos not have a strut tower brace. I did install an in car frame kit( lower sub frames, interoir sub frames sunk in and welded inside the car, bulkhead stiffeners...) and a weld in 4 point roll bar.

For your car, I would recommend tossing the light bar into the dumpster and replacing it with a weld in roll bar and then adding a frame kit. Finally, I would get all the parts from Griggs Racing.

Not everyone wants their car to look like shit with all that stuff welding inside the car... But to each their own I suppose.

cobraracer46

Banned
Not everyone wants their car to look like shit with all that stuff welding inside the car... But to each their own I suppose.
I happen to think the Griggs Racing convertible roll bar kit looks a hell of a lot better than any light bar I've ever seen. As for "all that stuff welded inside the car looking like shit" the frame kit is only visible exiting the front seat to the rear passanger floor, so it's not bad and in my book, its a small price to pay for having a very solid car.

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
i can vouch for the roads being unfriendly to verts up here in northern illinois. i too am looking for any piece i can add this offseason to stiffen and straighten her up. already have full length subframes welded in. a weld in roll bar can be dressed up to look like anything if you have the time. that's something i'm going to look into. along with k-member and stb. anything else to consider.. for the rear end?

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
just looked at mm's site. appears as though their stb has a small bump in the piping to allow more options at the cai.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
A regular JLT CAI won't fit atleast, I had to throw away my STB when I installed the JLT, a MM STB that is.

Doesn't the Carbon fibre CAI rub against the STB? It has to be a pretty close fit..?

yeller1

Established Member
A strut tower brace will eliminate alot of cowl shake, plus it's alot cheaper thant the roll cage setup mentioned earlier. He never mentioned how much money he wants to spend. That would have an influence on his choice. So, for low cost solution the stb will work.

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
You can always buy the 03/04 cobra STB from MM, but you will need a new hood to clear it. An 03/04 or a 00 R hood will clear it. I think the carbon fiber one looks like garbage. I know thats a very expensive mod just to run a CAI.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
PM'd. I didn't realize I was stirring up such an old thread. My eyes are shot and white on black with 2008 2009...looks close! :) Ahhhh...the search function.

Users who are viewing this thread