Calculus 2 is kicking my ass

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
Cal 2 is kicking my ass! Either my prof moves too quickly or I am just a slow leaner. So many different integration methods in just a few weeks time. Anybody felt the same way?

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I'm in high school in Calculus and some of it can be pretty rough. Just started doing some Pythagorean Identites, and that can be pretty challenging. Don't want to think about Calculus 2 just yet... :lol:

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I'm in high school in Calculus and some of it can be pretty rough. Just started doing some Pythagorean Identites, and that can be pretty challenging. Don't want to think about Calculus 2 just yet... :lol:

Integration by parts FTL!!! Now I am doing area between two lines and it is shit easy. Im in HS too but i dont remember doing any pythagorean identities, only ones in Pre Cal. BC?

soniclightning

Established Member
Cal 2 is kicking my ass! Either my prof moves too quickly or I am just a slow leaner. So many different integration methods in just a few weeks time. Anybody felt the same way?

I'm in the exact same boat. Took my first exam on Friday. It doesn't help that I took Cal 1 during the summer semester.

20svtcobra03

Established Member
dude last semester my girlfriend bomb that class and she studied like crazy and has a pretty high GPA and she didnt understand any of it what school do you go to?

Satyr

Established Member
what parts are you having trouble with?
there's only a few integration methods you should be introduced to so far:
standard integration technique
u-substitution and integration by parts.

which of the three are you having trouble with...i imagine one of the last two?

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
LOL thank god i dont have to go into calc....i think lol, def. bus. math, but nontheless you can be really smart(GPA wise) and still bomb the tests. It helps to get a tutor, which can really give you some hands on review. Plus check out:

mathhelpforum.com

guys in there a geniuses with math:beer:

Last edited:

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
U substitution was by far my favorite, I loved that test so much, aced the U part but not so much on the rest, ended up with an 80 on it.

Satyr

Established Member
calc III isn't bad...iterated integration and 3d volumes are, really, just elaborated versions of calc II problems. granted, it is more difficult simply because of the method of sequencing. speaking of which, if you end up having to cover telescoping series (my class actually did this in calc II), then it becomes a real bitch.
I think that mastering calc II is the most important part of a math sequence...even more so than calc I (aside from differentiation, of course).
diff eq is a different story.

maybe we can help this kid out, though...so what's the problem?

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
depending on whether your professor prefers natural logs or exponentials...mine liked natural logs.
btw: the problem actually required parts rather than u-sub.

the final solution is, if i integrated correctly:
1/2{(secxtanx)+(ln|secx+tanx|)} + k

i'm not sure why you would use substitution...you'll end up getting a more complex problem that you, ultimately, have to use parts for anyways.
a good rule of thumb is to just look at the initial problem.
think about what you'll be subbing for, do a quick mental integration and decide if it's going to cancel anything out...if not, probably not the right tactic (though, this is not always the case).

Last edited:

juliet2kg

Established Member
I felt like that class was all about memorizing those stupid rules. What was even worse was that I had a prof from the other side of the globe that had the heaviest middle eastern accent I had ever heard. It made understanding the difficult crap even more frustrating

Satyr

Established Member
Integration by parts FTL!!! Now I am doing area between two lines and it is shit easy. Im in HS too but i dont remember doing any pythagorean identities, only ones in Pre Cal. BC?

are you guys using straight integration or that convoluted method involving Riemann sums?

granted, most math is technically a result of the Riemann sum, but the fact that schools still teach it as a primary method to find are in between lines is rather archaic.

aeolian_mode

Established Member
damn you guys are making me feel dumb, I never needed to take more then contemporary math 141 ( all my major required )

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

College Calc is on another level from H.S.! I took Trig and Calc AB in H.S. and now I have to go all the way up to Calc 4 for my major...(petro. Geology). Sucks REALLY REALLY Bad! I'd rather go to Calc 4 then English 4 though! Freakin Literature.....:mj::xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread