California "bailout" for Tesla

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The stupidity is endless and not restrained by state lines. Nearby we have an outdoor shopping complex which is a bit more upscale than your average indoor mall. Months ago a Tesla charging station was built with an estimation of eight or so places to charge. With everything else which could and should be built rather than a charging station, one might believe electric cars are everywhere in the area and that is not true. I've yet to see a vehicle charge up. Whomever owns the property decided this was prudent but I'm bothered because I'm certain there was tax payer money used as INCENTIVE to build such a thing.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Tesla is hot ****ing garbage.

Everyone has touched on why already, but for me and everyone I know and work with, its simple: Their ugly ass sleds.

The Pontiac Aztec is even offended at Tesla's lineup.

My hope is that they FAIL during the Trump presidency, because there is no way in HELL he allows a Tesla bailout to occur.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Government subsidies keep countless companies in business. The landscape would change dramatically if the government got out of the business. Tesla would go down hard. How many jobs would be lost? How much would it cost in unemployment versus paying people to buy the cars? Would it cost the government more to allow Tesla to fail and pay unemployment? What would the impact be on the stock exchange? Would the market take a huge hit? I don't know how I feel about the government being in the business of subsidies. Aren't farms subsidized for the most part? It seems too late for the government to stop doing subsidies. IDK, I don't know enough. I do hate Tesla with a passion though.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Government subsidies keep countless companies in business. The landscape would change dramatically if the government got out of the business. Tesla would go down hard. How many jobs would be lost? How much would it cost in unemployment versus paying people to buy the cars? Would it cost the government more to allow Tesla to fail and pay unemployment? What would the impact be on the stock exchange? Would the market take a huge hit? I don't know how I feel about the government being in the business of subsidies. Aren't farms subsidized for the most part? It seems too late for the government to stop doing subsidies. IDK, I don't know enough. I do hate Tesla with a passion though.

Farming is an absolute necessity, Tesla P85Ds are not. The government shouldn't be paying people to buy a consumer product as that seems like a major conflict of interest to me.

Blown 89

Established Member
The government should let the free market determine what sells and what doesn't.
In the case of Tesla I think they should let the free market bury them as they aren't bringing much to the table.

In other cases I don't always agree. In the case of airlines; that industry wouldn't exist without government assistance. It was a brilliant move to ensure military air superiority. Now there isn't country in the world whose airlines aren't largely government funded/deregulated.

Established Member
As I'm a farm advisor, I'll chime in on the ag sector. We have the cheapest food costs in the world, partly because we can overproduce for export almost anything we grow. Without some form of safety net, we as a country would invariably under produce in some years. Lots of mostly urban households have almost no concept of what is entailed to get the food on their table, but they would surely riot if that same food became unavailable because of underproduction. Every country I am aware of has some form of agricultural subsidies for that very reason. Big chunks of what is tagged for federal agricultural subsidies goes no where near the farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread