California emissions?

Maustang

Established Member
I may be moving to California In a couple of months. I have a set of kooks LT Iwas planing on installing here soon. My question is if I use kooks catted mid-pipe will they pass emissions in California. Or are LT's a no go period?

Maustang

Established Member
long tubes are a no good. also there must be 4 cats. the tech might let you slide/not see it but I highly doubt it!

Thank you for the reply.
I failed the visual here in Idaho due to no cats so I'm installing my stock mid pipe with 4 cats tomorrow in order to pass. It's the first time they have done a visual check in the 6 years they have been testing.

I may just leave it in until I know for sure if I'm moving.

Thehubster

Established Member
Good luck with it man, there are little things you can do but if you have done any mods to the exhaust or intake then its going to be a hit or miss. it will also highly depend on the tech doing the test. good luck with it. I thought i had done everything i needed to for my Focus to pass smog and when i sold it to my dad who is still in california he had to take it completely back to stock except for the borla catback in order to get it to pass smog.

Maustang

Established Member
Couple of shops I go to don't even do a visual. If you buy mil eliminators I think you can pass.

Same thing happens around here, I used to run mil eliminators until I got a custom tune.
But last week when I went in for testing he did a visual and failed me. First time in 6 years since they started testing.
Luckily I've kept ahold of the stock mid-pipe. Swapped it out and passed.

But it got me to thinking about the Long tubes. I'm sure I could get away with it here Idaho if I got a catted mid pipe.
But in California not so much.

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Your best bet will be going back to stock headers/cats for the smog test. The stations in california are thorough due to the increased regulation on them.

The nice part is that now cars 2000 and newer do not require a sniffer/dyno test. As long as you do not have any CELs, you will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread